Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Yeah, except Automated ANYTHING is still ruled by AI, and we know how AI prioritizes 100s of Dogs over a few Merged x27 Swordsmen, so to speak.
Otherwise, sure, I'd let it "auto-build" everything, in cases of cities where I myself plan to build everything anyways.
Except AI won't do it properly, the idiot.

Weapons and Armors are... in the plans for quite some time now - and I'm extremely excited for the year 2030 that it will get implemented... NOT.
Which is sad, because some other mods do have some minimal Equipment functionality, which means it's not only doable, but even has a precedent that can be learned from.
In theory, yeeeah.
The delay is the real world and needing to find success to the degree that I'm freed up. However, I AM finding success, which is a good sign that will happen. Problem is the more I find, the busier I am, not the other way around. However, I HAVE begun to scale up somewhat and am about to actually do an official launch soon. If I can get enough service providers and effective sales people, my life will ease up considerably and then I'm back. Hoping that's within a year here.

I noticed the resistance for a conquered city can be very large at the slower time scales, and I tried doing a key word search to see if there's some unit or strategy to reduce it besides just piling in a ton of units, but the search function returns no results.

How is resistance best dealt with? Do units like guards help?

In that game, I had 25 cities, and the AI had about 18-20. The population in the largest 100+

"This Is a Turn based game based on 2006 Code. 1 minute turn end wait near end of game Is actually really good!"
But nano era isnt the end of game, in tech tree nano era its a mid of game

"LO Sorry I had to laugh it was only a few years ago that a turn with only 8 AI in the game in Med Era would take 5 minutes or longer!"

Okeeeey, I'm just happy that now the turn only lasts more than a minute, and not five. Now I'll go and buy a second monitor. On the first one I'll play the game, and watch One Piece on the second! I'll have time to watch all the episodes by the end of the game!)))
All of the last 5 Eras are end game for many of us old-timers. Modern Era was once the last era. Before Pepper's Modmod was added (the author of the Last 5 eras).

I'd be happy to see a game get to Modern Era now.

To All that are interested in see my last game progress. Here are a few saves from it. Smallest is game start and each progressively larger file is later stages. I don't know if I have any screenshots of this game atm. Latest SVN used. As game progressed any new SVN was used to update this game.

Tell me what you think about my Game set up options. They are rather simplistic on purpose. >D

Attachments

• 2024 Year to Be FREE AD-0531.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 2024 Year to Be FREE BC-0090.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 2024 Year to Be FREE BC-31389.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 2024 Year to Be FREE BC-200000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    966.3 KB · Views: 4
I have never played with the Vassals option before this game. Some time ago I made Brazil a vassal of mine and now I wish they were not my vassal and would like to disconnect with them. Is there of for me to do this or are vassals permanent?

Attachments

• OskGH December 3, AD-1664.CivBeyondSwordSave
    6.1 MB · Views: 2
I have never played with the Vassals option before this game. Some time ago I made Brazil a vassal of mine and now I wish they were not my vassal and would like to disconnect with them. Is there of for me to do this or are vassals permanent?
You have several options:
1. Keep making arrogant demands from them with "or else - war". It may eventually trigger exactly that. Then either beat them, or cease fire them, depending on what is better.
2. Infest their cities with your Spies, keep disrupting their everything, or even save up enough Espionage to outright BUY their cities. Works on Vassals just as well, lol.
3. Ignore them. No, really - why not? I mean, you didn't specify WHAT is your problem with them in the first place, lol.

Thanks, I like to totally dominate the Earth and they have cities for me to conquer. I will likely make very sure I don't have the vassals option on in my future games and I appreciate your advice. Remember that I play Space mod Mastery Victory and my Goal is to possess every city in the Universe and complete the tech tree. Here is my previous game where after I had won by most of the individual Victory conditions, I had a financial meltdown and could no longer play the game. I am playing my current game on Settler; my previous game was on Wardlord. Any idea when version 44 will be coming out??

Attachments

• OskMayDay June 23, AD-1896.CivBeyondSwordSave
    8.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks, I like to totally dominate the Earth and they have cities for me to conquer. I will likely make very sure I don't have the vassals option on in my future games and I appreciate your advice. Remember that I play Space mod Mastery Victory and my Goal is to possess every city in the Universe and complete the tech tree. Here is my previous game where after I had won by most of the individual Victory conditions, I had a financial meltdown and could no longer play the game. I am playing my current game on Settler; my previous game was on Wardlord. Any idea when version 44 will be coming out??
There's also what I tend to do more often than not: "Cultural expansion".
Vassalize everyone on the map, so they don't fight endless wars between themselves, that INCREASE YOUR *DAMN* TURN TIMES, lol.
Then just keep EXPANDING YOUR CULTURAL BORDERS.
Eventually, you'll simply SWALLOW everyone peacefully - the FUNNIEST way to "conquer the world" for me, actually.
Also, Vassals (and sometimes not even Vassals) tend to "join your civ" on their own, if you are THAT much ahead of them culturally - even when they are FAR AWAY.
I don't understand the mechanic behind it, but it's beyond FUNNY when I see one-city civs "dropping their independence" out of the blue - sometimes literally across the continent.
Makes me really LAUGH.

Given that each era of C2C is practically an entire game in length, the problem of steamrolling from in the vanilla game is exacerbated - at some point, you either die or pull ahead of the AIs and get a commanding lead. The various catch up mechanics help, but only do so much. I've been wondering whether it would be possible to have some sort of scripted disaster cause a soft reset at the beginning of each era, knocking back the civilisations which are ahead. And then (taking a leaf from Humankind's book) award stars/game-points for how well you did in each era, with the overall winner being whoever got the highest total across all eras.

Obviously that won't be implemented for a long time if at all, so I'm also wondering if it would be possible to do this as a manual challenge using Worldbuilder.
High to Low was already mentioned, but did you try the Flexible Difficulty BUG option yet ?

A few versions and one computer ago, I used to regularly have turn times over ten minutes. I'd read books in between turns while I played.

This was also back when it would take almost an hour to load the game.

I thought I bought this awesome computer for Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077 but the i9 CPU and SSD are really only good for fast C2C turn times 😁

I remember those turn times! it began as early as medieval era, I occasionally played two games at once, or had pdf/other website to read haha
hmm maybe it could be hardware? mine's ahead of above (16-core, 64gb ram, rtx 3090) and I was able to play eternity speed transcendent era on snofru large space map, but I don't know which parts of hardware could affect it, if any. Also game was running much better after closing and reopening, gradually getting worse, occasionally trying to reload save would cause "memory allocation failure", game would close, and after reopening it would run much faster.

E: I also remember almost unplayably slow city queues in late game:D each click would cause whole queue to reload, which itself was way slower than is nowadays, and would happen much more often. There were only 2 rows of objects visible at a time, it needed so much scrolling, time spent in city screens was like dozens of times longer. Someone made awesome work making production choices lists dynamic and with more entities visible at once:)
Oh yeah, I used to ragequit because of these before Prehistory ended even on my new (current) PC !
(Also CiviloPedia and Advancements Tree taking WAY too long to open !)
The C2C team made tremendous improvements on these issues at some point !
Also reminds me of :
(at least Civ4 is 3D ! :lol:)

There's only one thing I'm missing from the vanilla city UI, though it still worked jerkishly: The list of buildable objects could be quick-clicked without moving your mouse 1000 times.
Given how I tend to play on Ultrafast more often than not, it's beyond annoying to click through the entire roster of buildings in a NEW city - it makes my hand hurt, lol.
The original mechanic would just "drop" the next building under my mouse automatically - though, yeah, the process itself was stupidly slow.
So the best would've been to combine "object dropping" with "fast reaction", eh.
I haven't really got that far yet, but even copy-pasting build queues doesn't help ??

[...] Any idea when version 44 will be coming out??
According to a recent comment in this very thread, in something like a year, maybe ?
You can already help playtesting it using SVN. ;)

BTW, I was getting worried there, reading the changelogs...
SVN-11565
v44.BETA.7872 - 2023-11-24
All Changes

[...]​
builds dont load -- flabbert

slowly losing will to live -- flabbert

we are doomed -- flabbert

yeah thats as far as i got today, this filesystem is doomed -- flabbert

[...]
Thankfully, looks like @flabbert got back at it after ~3 months ? Cheers !

I hope this thread is the right place for a little feedback to this mod: it could be much better than it is. Some of the content is great in theory, but doesn't work properly in game.

Actually I'm playing a game on the 5 Civ GEM Rom 2.7 World Map scenario, playing as China. No silk anywhere in reach, so it's not possible to build Culture (Chinese) - as China! Instead, there is Coca ressource in Asia, wich would be needed to build Culture (Nazca). No fine clay on the whole map, so it's not possible to build a Porcelain Workshop or Ming Vase Workshop.
Theory: Some fitting ressources and the right Culture Ac. to build culture ressources and get historically fitting cultural units or buildings for a good gameplay. Great theory. Instead, reality in game: :sad:

Top Bottom