Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

It's for those that want to increase Pop. More Food.

But it is very weak When it is introduced.

Later game it may have some usage too. But it's like most early Civics when used in the later game, for specialized purposes that usually don't last long.

A Big Civic selection like what we offer will have these lower level Civics. Not every one can be the "next Great Step Up" Civic.

All that said I know that the Civics are in need of further work. Notes are being taken.

Last edited:
It's for those that want to increase Pop. More Food.

But it is very weak When it is introduced.

Later game it may have some usage too. But it's like most early Civics when used in the later game, for specialized purposes that usually don't last long.

A Big Civic selection like what we offer will have these lower level Civics. Not every one can be the "next Great Step Up" Civic.

All that said I know that the Civics are in need of further work. Notes are being taken.

The point being made is that it's a worse carbon copy of barter. There is no point in taking it. If you want to grow - take barter - it gives you the same food growth bonus as subsistence and you get both production and wet nurse hut. (and why wet nurse hut isn't a normal building is also odd - we've got wet nurses to this day...)

One thing is updating the civics to work better or in other ways. Another thing is removing or seriously updating a civic that has no role at all.

The point being made is that it's a worse carbon copy of barter. There is no point in taking it. If you want to grow - take barter - it gives you the same food growth bonus as subsistence and you get both production and wet nurse hut. (and why wet nurse hut isn't a normal building is also odd - we've got wet nurses to this day...)

One thing is updating the civics to work better or in other ways. Another thing is removing or seriously updating a civic that has no role at all.
And you are repeating what's already been noted.

It was repeated because your post seems to be saying otherwise.
I was trying to answer Shoobs question of why it's there.
If there's an economic reason we are not seeing, please advise.

Not that it is not weak or that it's not a known issue. It is in both cases. I did not make the Civics. I'm just trying to make what is there better. But I'm not doing it fast or hurried.

@toffer:

why is it that every single start i have when i use ur world map, is always real close to either snow/polar or whatever its called??

Attachments

• snow.JPG
    snow.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 60
why is it that every single start i have when i use ur world map, is always real close to either snow/polar or whatever its called??
I've noticed it too, I may have to tweak some in that department soon.
Right now latitude doesn't factor in at all, except that plots too close to the poles are not valid starting plots at all.

Max starting plot latitude with -
  • Cold climate is 56.7 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 63 degrees, so 6.3 degrees away from the polar zone.
  • Temperate\Arid\Rocky climate is 64.8 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 72 degrees, so 7.2 degrees away from the polar zone.
  • Tropical climate is 72.9 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 81 degrees, so 8.1 degrees away from the polar zone
Spoiler I spotted a bug in the world script while writing this post. :

Good thing you brought this up as I spotted a mistake in the script that made it so that the max starting latitude did not change when Cold and Tropical climate map options were selected, even though the polar zone moved.
So the above is what I intended but right now it function like this:
  • Cold climate is 64.8 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 63 degrees, so -1.8 degrees away from the polar zone.
  • Temperate\Arid\Rocky climate is 64.8 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 72 degrees, so 7.2 degrees away from the polar zone.
  • Tropical climate is 64.8 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 81 degrees, so 16.2 degrees away from the polar zone
Edit:
Ok, so I will commit a fix to the mistake I mentioned along with some number tweaks on max start position latitude.
New values:
  • Cold climate is 56.97 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 63 degrees, so 6.03 degrees away from the polar zone.
  • Temperate\Arid\Rocky climate is 63.00 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 72 degrees, so 9.00 degrees away from the polar zone.
  • Tropical climate is 68.19 degrees.
    • Polar region start at 81 degrees, so 12.81 degrees away from the polar zone

Edit: It's commited, it should improve the issue slightly, especially if you choose tropical climate.
I have some further ideas to address this tendency that I'll try out when my modding schedule is less bloated.

Last edited:
Can someone say me, why the hell after 4 years game saves do not hold applied building filters in cities?

BTW. Hi, again. (Probably for our common doom.)

Can someone say me, why the hell after 4 years game saves do not hold applied building filters in cities?

BTW. Hi, again. (Probably for our common doom.)
We went thru at least 3 if not 4 Game Save breaking builds to clean up some bad leftovers. Renaming buildings, Civics, and such would cause save games to be corrupted. So now old save games will not play or play badly and the eventually CTD.

Much of this occurred in the v36 release cycle, but I think we had one early in the v37 cycle as well.

Hopefully we will soon have v38 released. So much has changed over the past few years. We now have 15 Eras, a Tech tree of ~ 1000 techs, re-adjusted Game Speeds (14,000 turn Eternity is No more, Eternity GS is now ~8250 turns), Crime, Disease, Air and Water Pollution, and Education Properties, and so much more. New Law Enforcement and Criminal units and buildings to go with Crime Property. More Options than ever before too.

And iirc the building filters were changed as well. But I'm not to well versed on that area of the Mod.

Toffer90 is working on a new UI for the Civilopedia and other areas too. It will soon be included into the Mod. See this modmod thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/interface-overhaul-wip.619694

You have much to catch up on if you so desire. And Welcome back! :wavey:

I am playing the SVN copy, so I'm rather up to date. But it's bloody irritating to set the filters each time I turn on the game. I fill like adding the filters to save files.

I am playing the SVN copy, so I'm rather up to date. But it's bloody irritating to set the filters each time I turn on the game. I fill like adding the filters to save files.
Ohh! Okay I believe we found out that once you set the filters you need to Save game immediately and then once it is saved Save Again. This locks the settings. We've had similar issues with BUG in this regard.

We now have 15 Eras, a Tech tree of ~ 1000 techs
Quick note: We have 13 eras and 929 techs. Still very impressive :D
Its easy to see how many techs (and other stuff) exist with this Toffers pedia/interface overhaul.
Some techs couldn't be selected here.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Yeah that's been a bit of an irritant to me too but I'm not sure how that actually happens and haven't looked into it. Good to see you n47! I hope this means you've overcome some of the health concerns you had. We were worried 'boutcha.

This would be good if it's not Save game breaking.

By the way, what with this Hydro's indie c2c idea? The same old story? "We have no resources to build an engine."

By the way, what with this Hydro's indie c2c idea? The same old story? "We have no resources to build an engine."
Where are you hearing about this? Many of us have considered this throughout the years but aren't exactly software architects to start such a project from scratch.

Where are you hearing about this? Many of us have considered this throughout the years but aren't exactly software architects to start such a project from scratch.

Well, I have something like this in my mailbox. ;-)

C2C Team,

Modding C2C is something I love to do, so much I do it for free just like you guys do. However such a project doesn't pay the bills.

We know that C2C has been one of the most popular Civ4 mods and even Civ5 people come back to play our mod.

We have spoke before about the limitations of the Civ4 engine and our visions are grand, yet we have (and have had) a great team who is passionate about the game.

I would really like to do this for a living and I think we as a team could be successful as an Indie game team. The question is how to make that possible.

In which I ask you guys. If we could do what we do and get payed to do it would you? Could we make Caveman2Cosmos a real game and not just a mod for an existing game?

We are smart, creative and passionate people who love this stuff. We should be able to figure how to do it. Please help make this dream a reality. Lets put our head together and figure this out.

- Hydro

Well, I plan to play a bit with Ogre3D. It is probably portable to cell phones. If I will be able render a grid and run it on Android, I will make you know. But making a whole engine is an enormous amount of work. Anybody thought about running a project on Kickstarter?

Well, I plan to play a bit with Ogre3D. It is probably portable to cell phones. If I will be able render a grid and run it on Android, I will make you know. But making a whole engine is an enormous amount of work. Anybody thought about running a project on Kickstarter?
:sarcasm: MMmmm molten cellphones..... :mischief::yumyum: :crazyeye:
Also I would need magnifying glass to see stuff in cities and some sort of magic mouse to play comfortably.
TBH are cellphones powerful enough to pull good RTS game?

If you sacrifice the graphics and limit the number of units, then it is possible. Anyway, do you think a desktop version would earn for itself?

EDIT: Turn-based strategy game. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom