Caveman 2 Cosmos

Don't like getting criminals from goody huts. Too early in the game for that kind of "goodie" imho.

Watcher's lifespan in relation to techs to getting Enforcers is too short lived.

Gold costs per turn are too high in the enforcement line and the healer line over all, again imho.

JosEPh

Don't like getting criminals from goody huts. Too early in the game for that kind of "goodie" imho.
Those are barbarian criminals right? I'm hoping I set it up as intended. I put them in as a potential result because I figured it would get some more of them on the map since they don't 'spawn' in the wilderness.

Watcher's lifespan in relation to techs to getting Enforcers is too short lived.
I kinda agree but if I agree with that then I also must believe that the lifespan of the wise woman to healer is too short since it's almost identical in x grid span between them.

Wouldn't mind moving Conduct and Naturopathy up the tree further but I'm not sure it would be possible without upsetting a lot of other things.

Gold costs per turn are too high in the enforcement line and the healer line over all, again imho.
Are you really having trouble with gold? A test game I'm running (at normal speed) is keeping me at +3 through +8 gold per round around tribalism (100% research of course) and I have 3 hunting parties, a thief, a healer, an enforcer, a storyteller (all properties are far from being a concern) and some additional city defense as well as a growing stockpile of animals. This is on Immortal game difficulty.

I'm not sure where the gold stress you're pointing at is coming from. If anything, I feel that we've gotten WAY to lax about trying to get some strain on the treasury and we're rapidly drifting back to when gold was a complete non-factor in the game.

I'm not sure where the gold stress you're pointing at is coming from. If anything, I feel that we've gotten WAY to lax about trying to get some strain on the treasury and we're rapidly drifting back to when gold was a complete non-factor in the game.

Why do I even bother. Seriously.:( Especially when I Know this is the oversimplified response that I'll get about gold costs.

So tell me why on Epic, Emperor, large PM, 8AI, that my Research started at 100% but by a few starting techs in had dropped to 90%. As I built and sent out 4 hunting parties the cost of ferrying 3 to 5 animals back to the Capital started dropping the :gold:/turn, rather quickly and the research slider was dropping too. Soon I was at 0% research slider and fighting to get the treasury from going completely bankrupt. As I got groups of animals back and used them up Immediately I could stay away from going into Strike. And my Capital city and later 2nd and third cities after tribalism, have only 1 wisewoman, 1 enforcer, 1 or 2 story tellers and once achieved 1st dog units, and 1 to 2 city defenders. I have 5 tracker/upgraded to Hunter groups, Tracker/ hunter paired with spiked club or axe. And have to ferry animals along the chain. I got plunked down on a long narrow peninsula to start. And Starting position in a game Greatly affects the treasury of Player or AI. (Not everyone gets to start with 4 open directions for hunting around their initial and maybe even 2nd or 3rd cities.)

Subdued animals individual gold upkeep cost to get them back to city is also factor.

The Upgrading to Hunter from tracker also almost bankrupted me after I started to climb out of the initial gold hole that obviously Does Not exist for you. And I had to do them 1 at a time and also wait for my Treasury to get to 100 gold Before I could upgrade each individual one.

And how do you like on Normal that if you get an animal back and the Only use for it is to sacrifice it for culture that you get 1 culture and NO beaker? On epic it's a smidgen better, 3 culture and 1 research.

You know what, in the end it just does not matter any more.

JosEPh :sad::wallbash:

I'm playing my game with animals auto teleported back and I also use them immediately once they are in my cities. By doing that and exploring, I am not having problems with gold at all. I have 14 cities up and am somewhere near halfway though the ancient era with over 14,000 gold and and still getting 40-50 per turn. I have not been below 100% on research and never have ran a deficit on gold at all. This game is on a giant map with 6 civs playing noble difficulty and snail gamespeed.

I'm playing my game with animals auto teleported back and I also use them immediately once they are in my cities. By doing that and exploring, I am not having problems with gold at all. I have 14 cities up and am somewhere near halfway though the ancient era with over 14,000 gold and and still getting 40-50 per turn. I have not been below 100% on research and never have ran a deficit on gold at all. This game is on a giant map with 6 civs playing noble difficulty and snail gamespeed.

Subdued animals individual gold upkeep cost to get them back to city is also factor.
This is all I can think is making such a big difference. My game I was basing my response on was is not drowning in animal support at all. They teleport back and I've only got 3 hunting parties out there. Perhaps animal support costs need diminished further yet.

There could be another factor in that too... I need to review the tag that is currently diminishing their support expenses - it may not be active on all options perhaps.

Why is "too much gold" even a problem? Either you are a builder-type player, then you really don't want to fight your own treasury constantly, or you are a conquerer-type player, then you should appreciate a competitive AI.

Why is "too much gold" even a problem? Either you are a builder-type player, then you really don't want to fight your own treasury constantly, or you are a conquerer-type player, then you should appreciate a competitive AI.

We've had hundreds of posts on this subject, the vast majority of them complaining that gold is not a challenge. It's obviously not quite the same today as it was but many players would prefer to be strained in this area such that they would need to strongly consider or absolutely need to reduce the slider from running at 100% research.

Obviously many opinions abound but I was honestly inquiring with Joe what was causing his results to be so different to what I was experiencing and I think we've hit the main cause.

@tmv,
Yes all the Deity Conqueror type players come in and complain about too much gold. It's been an ongoing hot topic for years. Then we let one who can give some math examples and can write/post good sounding responses come in and inject their idea into the mod and Boom, players come screaming out of the wood work there is No Gold! I'm going Bankrupt!

We have allowed several modders over the years to be extremely prolific at adding to the mod but when someone say it's too much that objecting person is a No No negative person. Been there many times.

I fight for balance in ALL aspects but, and there is always a but, when you speak out about another modder's pet project you better have your fire proof suit on cause your going to get the heat. Hydro and I did not part on good terms I'm sorry to say. And I've upset T-brd a few times, doing in now too. Instead of harping on gold in the mod why not streamline some of the other very prolific areas, like Promotions? Or the need to add more units when we had units that did basically what these new ones are supposed to do now. But we gutted them and then neglected them to the point of irrelevancy. I better stop now. I'm treading dangerous waters and I already feel like I'm drowning.

I'm choking inside and I've not got a handle on why....yet. Probably best I don't post much for a while.

JosEPh :(

I don't play above King or so, so perhaps that's why my games were awash with money, but I have made countless comments about streamlining various aspects of the mod.

Isn't that supposed to be the point of options? There has been a lot of talk about reducing options, but introducing a single additional option to avoid this kind of trouble should still be possible.

You could call that option "builder-type" (or "sandbox" if you must) and have that option reduce gold drains. I wouldn't be surprised if the AI was much stronger with that option.

The problem is that different people playing at different levels and speed are reporting differing experiences. I play Noble/Snail with no traits. Gold is not bad at first but becomes more and more difficult to keep the :science: slider above 90% until the late Ancient Era when I start to get enough income to keep my units updated and :science: at 100% but bank balance around 600. Mid Classic my balance starts to climb up to 10000 with enough income to keep it there even when I do some major upgrades of my units.

So basically I find that the amount of gold is about right until the late Classic for a builder style play but keeping enough of an army that the ai does not see me as a soft target.

I play with no-traits because I found until recently that the AI would keep up better with those options on. Recently they have started to fall behind again even with the changes to the requirements for the Myth and Story buildings.

What about the AI then? I think the potential problems for the AI haven't even been addressed so far by those who wish for less gold.

OTOH in a setting where gold is not a problem (at least on Noble) the AI could prove to be much stronger than people think, making the AI competitive with pure XML work and without adding to turn times.

And I've upset T-brd a few times, doing in now too.
You're not upsetting me directly but it IS upsetting me how upset you're getting. I did not mean to make you feel discounted or to make you feel as if I didn't believe you. However, that said, I can see how the impression could've come across since I didn't have time for a much more involved post in two cases today.

When I asked 'Are you really that squeezed on Gold' I was honestly asking if you were in a game that was! Because if you ARE, which your crossed out post does indicate, then we're seeing some tremendously different results and it leads me to try to figure out why.

You can't point at one of the smallest adjustments in the game and say that's the problem just because it's the most recent adjustment. What you're experiencing is much the same as what I was experiencing both before I made an adjustment to make animals cost half the normal support cost and before I started using the animal teleport option. I was having to build gold to keep the nation from collapsing.

Since your civic upkeep adjustments and those two changes, I've seen a massive glut of gold like I've never seen before in the Prehistoric so obviously, my thinking is, you've got a different condition or set of conditions in your game than I do and we need to discuss what that difference could be rather than taking aim at a change simply because it wasn't one you would've made.

IF that was the culprit of imbalance then discussion would show it and at that point, I would concede that there was cause for making another adjustment there. But since the game I'm testing is in surprisingly positive gold amounts, I doubted that could be the issue you were truly struggling with. Make sense? This is not an emotional battle but a discussion with the goal of finding the actual problem rather than assuming the perceived problem IS the issue.

Instead of harping on gold in the mod why not streamline some of the other very prolific areas, like Promotions? Or the need to add more units when we had units that did basically what these new ones are supposed to do now.
1) I'm not harping on gold. I'm, like you, seeking to figure out how to improve its balance. Unlike you, I'm not jumping to a particular conclusion yet as to what the most dramatic cause for an issue is.

2) I realize you're lashing out here but with promotions, it had seemed you'd adjusted to understanding their roles and benefits and where they fit into the strategic picture so I thought that 'problem' was behind us. There's a few promos that still imbalanced and kinda random so could be eliminated or re-envisioned so I don't think we're actually in complete disagreement there. I realize you have issue with the promos that have a primary focus on manipulating the unit's capture and capture resistance values but would you not say capturing units is perhaps the most powerful strategy there is in the game right now and thus there is justification for there being the ability to manipulate these values on a unit? We'd probably have to break down the promotions you have 'beef' with.

3) As with promotions, my feeling about your objections with the units recently added is usually that they stem from not seeing a bigger picture. If you truly feel that the new units don't fill gaps that needed filled then I can understand that from the perspective that much was not apparent to you that was to me and wouldn't have been to me without a rather deep analysis process. In otherwords, I really don't blame you for feeling that way. There are actually a lot of powerful nuances that have been infused into these structures that cannot be simply explained and what they amount to is preparing a player to have many 'ah hah!' moments the more the game is experienced. If it looks like nothing but chaffe, all I can say is you've got a lot of 'ah hah's' ahead of you if you don't just attack the structure as designed but rather take further time to experience and consider it. I'm far from trying to say you're slow or daft... I wouldn't see these nuances easily myself without knowing I'd injected them for players to gradually realize.

3)
But we gutted them and then neglected them to the point of irrelevancy.
If you want some of the basics of how some of the plans for those units came about and how they are actually more... FAR more powerful and useful than they previously were, you should read the thread I posted yesterday for YOU SPECIFICALLY - the Warlords and Barbarian Mercenaries discussion. There's a LOT said there. I explained the thinking in depth because its obvious there's no appreciation for the structure by some and I can ONLY believe this is primarily due to not understanding the problems that have been solved by these adjustments. Not all players will see a problem where some will but that doesn't necessarily make them not a problem.

I better stop now. I'm treading dangerous waters and I already feel like I'm drowning.
Know that I'm not attacking you. I know we still share the same goals of improving the mod in general. I know we have differing perspectives as much as some differences in opinion BUT I do believe your heart is always in the right place. So I'm not angry. Just frustrated. I simply ask that you take the time to understand the reasoning behind a new structure that doesn't immediately make itself obvious how or why it would be an improvement before criticizing it. Emotional blurts of 'don't like that' get nowhere in an uplifting, problem-solving discussion, wouldn't you agree?

What about the AI then? I think the potential problems for the AI haven't even been addressed so far by those who wish for less gold.

OTOH in a setting where gold is not a problem (at least on Noble) the AI could prove to be much stronger than people think, making the AI competitive with pure XML work and without adding to turn times.

While this may be a little oversimplified as a general statement, one of our scenario designers recently tested an adjustment to a global value that refers to the point at which an AI should consider itself in trouble with gold. His testing seemed to show that the AI was behaving better after changing that value. I still think he might be right and was hoping he'd get some other folks chiming in as to whether it had seemed to make an improvement in their games as well. I'll have to go review what he said but I didn't want to just immediately react to change that value before some testing. What his adjustment suggests is that perhaps the AI is reacting to gold stress too late to stop themselves from doing some things that will further stress them and once they have, they don't have enough room left to recover.

In a nutshell this means that they very well may be able to manage their gold better, even in a tougher setting, by tweaking this value. However, they won't be able to play some of the maneuvers a player can that a player can use to support their gold demands when deeply stressed so if we have a situation with DEEP stress then yes, it is very bad for the AI. A LITTLE stress is good for the game. A LOT of stress is bad. NO stress is ultimately not very fulfilling either. It's like the planetary goldylocks zone and while Joe may feel that I want to make things super hard to impossible there, I really don't. I also don't want it to be too easy. I'm getting a game test where it's really too easy and he's getting one where it's too hard so rather than arguing or playing tug of war, we should be trying to figure out how that's even possible and working at the issue from there so that most games can find the goldylocks zone rather than either of the other extremes.

Hmm... I had suspected that perhaps animal support costs were not being diminished without a particular game option being on but I checked the tag and traced the whole tag from xml to application in the code and it works on all options.

@Joe: try changing UNITCOMBAT_SUBDUED to -100 rather than just -50 and just see how much of an impact it makes. Just as a test to see how different the gold is.

btw:
And how do you like on Normal that if you get an animal back and the Only use for it is to sacrifice it for culture that you get 1 culture and NO beaker? On epic it's a smidgen better, 3 culture and 1 research.
On this point we very much agree. Frustrating. I know the struggles DH has with these so I don't hold it against him really, but this is why I liked to slaughter them when I had gold upkeep problems from too many animals I couldn't do anything with. (That option is pretty much the same or worse imo than just killing them. Actually, come to think of it, do you get gold when you just disband them? That would be more worthwhile.)

just throwing my 2 :gold: in:

Gold production is so dependent upon many things, I don't adjust my settings much (maybe a single level of speed or difficulty) and I can say that I've felt various levels of gold glut or pinch.

What comes to mind immediately (other than the obvious crime and expansion), as contributors to this situation are:
1. Too much early animal hording
2. Reluctance to build certain crime or disease producing buildings. Some are debatable of being worth it (early bandit's hideout and harem) later ones are (smuggler's shanty)
3. Civic choices (I've felt forced to go for/switch civics just to stimulate more :gold: In particular I'm not a big fan of Caste system's Cons but the effect on empire gold is just too critical not to take it)
4. Tech path bee lining. Sometimes you may just have to stop the bee lining for things you'd rather have, just to pick up another few +1 :gold: buildings, or techs that will open up increased gold production for the buildings you already have.
5. Access to resources that provide % :gold: bonuses to early buildings. There are a lot of sorta hidden effects (like having apples with a bakery and earlier ones that I can't recall off the top of my head).
6. Gems! No Gems means no access to Gem cutters (good supply of gold) nor Jewelry stores (a major supply of gold and well worth the cost of an extra crime fighter).
7. Gold and Silver, same situation as gems but a bit later in game. Provide % bonuses to existing buildings and open up some moderate (smelter and smith) buildings that produce their own cash.

Possible suggestions:
1a) Allow jewelry stores without access to gems. Surely beaten gold was made into jewelry somewhere without gem stones; or
1b) Count pearls as gems or make the logic to build jewelry stores: 'Gems or pearls'

2) Review the early buildings +% :gold: production based on available resources

Point 1) I'm not sure this is a good thing that animals can end up costing so much, even with 50% reduced support costs. I'm still looking at that and thinking it seems to be a big differential factor... too big.

Points 2, 3, 4) All of these show the benefit of there being some variety to the gold income a player gets. If gold need cannot drive choices that can help with gold but set you back in other ways then THAT is exactly when gold has become too easy in a generic sense. If points like 5, 6, and 7 are present, perhaps you can get away with not having to worry about the downsides of these decisions and can forgo them. This is exactly the balance the game should have imo. (btw, I personally feel the same way about Caste system BUT not because of the gold it gives but because of the much improved city growth it accesses which makes it non-optional imo, despite some of its sucky penalties that make Divine Prophets a bit more challenging in the Ancient era.)

Suggestions:
1a) Wouldn't agree on this because I think the idea of jewelry should require something special. However:
1b) Sounds like a very GOOD suggestion. Always seems odd to have Pearls and not be able to use them for jewelry. I personally also debate the use of fine clay for bead jewelry access.
2) Some of this could be done. As an initial start though it just seems that maybe reducing subdued animal upkeep further might smooth out any imbalances perceived here.

Why am I reluctant to change the unit support costs for law enforcement and healers? Because they are setup to be a straight +1 gold per upgrade in the chain which seems to be fairly simple and beneficial scaling to game needs and it makes the choice to try to control properties with units (a deuc ex machina solution really) or more selective building choices a bit more meaningful. IS that +5 gold from the Bandit's Hideout really worth it if you need another LE unit to counter the crime? Or can you still benefit from it without another unit because you've been willing to take the unhappiness/unhealth hit from crucifixion crosses instead? Or other options. No matter how you choose to address properties, you take a hit somewhere - is it worse than allowing the property to be somewhat outside of perfect control or not? These kinds of extremely complex decisions to evaluate are what make the game shine brightly imo.

1. Hoarding animals
There is no real sense in Hoarding anymore it has been greatly diminished. I only save a few select animals in any game since butchering was removed.

IS that +5 gold from the Bandit's Hideout really worth it...
Building this is Only used as a last ditch effort. I don't build the units you can get from it anymore either. They were made to be useless and too expensive to keep imh$po. The AI still uses them though. As for the others mentioned, I've never built the smuggler's shanty and only rarely build Harems and that for the +1 Happy not the measly gold.

3. agree
4. This has changed significantly with the new techs added and the pathing changed. I can't bee-line like I used to do. The AI is out teching me almost every game until late Classical when I finally catch up because I push expansion as hard and as far as my treasury will allow.
5. totally map driven and map Options taken. I never use More resources game Option now because it floods the maps with Too many resources again imh&po.
6. I only build Jewelry after I have a good handle on crime. So that does come into play but not until late Ancient or Early Classical. Obviously no help at all In Preh and early Ancient eras.
7.Basically same as 6.

As for building reviews, for example (of the top of my diminishing mind) how many ppl have noticed that Fighting Pit no longer gives +1 :yuck: and the Crime given went down from +5 to +3? And the other changes I've made? Yet crime early is still a factor. Disease is still rampant early and when you hit city size 4 and above Pests kick in and these 2 get magnified.

Is more review needed? Yes I would say so. But I have a "but" condition about doing more. I have the feeling that if I do more there I'm doing so without team approval and I'm stepping in where I'm not wanted, other Modder's territory and such. I don't feel I have the license to do so but in very small instances and only if related to Crime.

JosEPh

Joe,

Smuggler Shanties provide lots of gold, much more than the expense of the law enforcement needed to counter it; I would suggest giving them a try. Their production even starts to escalate once you gain access to booze, drugs, tobacco, etc...
You might give them a try

The AI is out teching me almost every game until late Classical when I finally catch up because I push expansion as hard and as far as my treasury will allow.

Just throwing it out there... but perhaps maybe you're expanding too fast too early?

I still hoard animals and for the reason I always did, the buildings they build. If I want :hammers: for a new city I build merchants if I want :food: I build food merchants.

I didn't notice the changes to fighting pit but then I usually only build one in my empire, in my military city. I'll have to reconsider it for my other cities now.

Pearls should be being counted as gems. On a side note, reading a history magazine recently, it pointed out that precise stone carving eg Egyptian Obelisks or Mayan steele, can't be done using copper or iron tools but need flint, or for really hard stones, gems. Perhaps there needs to be a :hammers: boost to the Sculpture Workshop if you have those tools.

Jewellery is another building I usually only build one of and only in a city I have crime well under control in.

edit Just looked at Jewellery it can be built with Beads which can be built if you have Clay but Fine Clay is missing. Since I have a mod to "fix" the Bead line of buildings in place I will add Fine Clay to it there.

With both the Bead making buildings and the Jewellery you get bonuses for things you need to build it. I think either you should need a resource or you should get a bonus if you have the resource not both.

Top Bottom