CCMAT game - City Strength 209!

Fizpez2

Chieftain
After some fun and some dissatisfaction with the Vanilla game I downloaded the CCMAT mod pack- I believe there is a mod pack called city builder or some such.

I was playing King/Standard/Continents/Small and I picked Monty thinking I would be going full war early of course I end up on an isolated small continent with 1 social city state - given the mismatch with leader and site I would usually restart but decided to see if I could win a culture victory. Eventually built 4 total cities, selectively picked my way to caravels and managed to maintain tech parity with Haiwatha who was in some sort of weird 3 way with Japan and England. He was warring Japan one minute and singing RA'sthe next... annoying - at any rate I was never at war with the AI, and the only hostile war I was in was from an early steal of a worker from the one city state.

As I was nearing victory I figured they Haiwatha might try an invasion (he never did) but I was building walls/castle and everything else and ended up with my Capital (pop 38) having a defense of 209 (maybe 206, I forget)....

Has anyone played a game where a city with a STR in the hundreds actually was involved in an attack/defense? I really like the mod but I dont want to sink 8 hours into a game only to find that the game is broken...

There is an issue where two of the mods included in the Mod Pack (Afforess' Active City Defense and one of Thalassicus' Balance mods) both increase the defense of the defensive structures you can build. There are instructions in the Modpack thread for correcting the double bonuses. You still get higher than vanilla but much more balanced.

There is an issue where two of the mods included in the Mod Pack (Afforess' Active City Defense and one of Thalassicus' Balance mods) both increase the defense of the defensive structures you can build. There are instructions in the Modpack thread for correcting the double bonuses. You still get higher than vanilla but much more balanced.

Thanks for that - I started a new game yesterday and was out to great start - probably a spaceship win in a few hundred turns. I wanted to take down a militaristic city state and I threw 4 horsemen, 2 Mohawk warriors backed up with a great general (all could attack) and I didnt even get the city to half. Where as in Vanilla I would have crushed it in the first round. It only had a def of 29 or so but there was something else going on. I realize a properly balanced game would have me take losses but I (just to play it out) would have lost everything and not flipped that city.

Thanks for that - I started a new game yesterday and was out to great start - probably a spaceship win in a few hundred turns. I wanted to take down a militaristic city state and I threw 4 horsemen, 2 Mohawk warriors backed up with a great general (all could attack) and I didnt even get the city to half. Where as in Vanilla I would have crushed it in the first round. It only had a def of 29 or so but there was something else going on. I realize a properly balanced game would have me take losses but I (just to play it out) would have lost everything and not flipped that city.

From what I understand, they've also balanced it so that once cities have walls, Siege becomes almost necessary unless you want to suffer heavy losses. Bring a catapult or two next time. :)

In Thalass' balance mods there are two changes to city defense.

1. All city defense buildings have a higher defense value
--This causes city states to generally have much higher strengths than they otherwise would because they are considered a "capital" for the +6 palace bonus, and they prioritize city defense buildings much sooner than any other AI.

2. Cities have +50% hp.
--This makes it so that even if you have the manpower to take the city down , it will take a bit longer than it normally would.

These combine changes are most likely what caused your experience.

In Thalass' balance mods there are two changes to city defense.

1. All city defense buildings have a higher defense value
--This causes city states to generally have much higher strengths than they otherwise would because they are considered a "capital" for the +6 palace bonus, and they prioritize city defense buildings much sooner than any other AI.

2. Cities have +50% hp.
--This makes it so that even if you have the manpower to take the city down , it will take a bit longer than it normally would.

These combine changes are most likely what caused your experience.

I used Thal's Balance mods on a OCC India Cultural win and after I had won i just wanted to see what the strength of my 210 city would do to enemies. needless to say it was impossible to take and they resorted to starving my city to death. I couldn't create any units to combat the TWENTY+(yes I'm not kidding) modern era units on every worked tile.

I used Thal's Balance mods on a OCC India Cultural win and after I had won i just wanted to see what the strength of my 210 city would do to enemies. needless to say it was impossible to take and they resorted to starving my city to death. I couldn't create any units to combat the TWENTY+(yes I'm not kidding) modern era units on every worked tile.

Errrr, was it Thal's mods only? Or did you have them + the other city defense mods which make your city defense buildings x4 (2x2) instead of just x2?

Also, awesome :)

Errrr, was it Thal's mods only? Or did you have them + the other city defense mods which make your city defense buildings x4 (2x2) instead of just x2?

Also, awesome :)

I just used the 5 or 6 mods he has on his website. Some are for units, policies, etc. Not sure if his different mods end up stacking crazy high when used together or not.

In Vanilla it is possible to get somewhere around 100, maybe 110 max, with wonders and UBs (from memory on an India game though I think I've gotten close in others as well) and a garrison (mech. inf. or GDR)

In Vanilla it is possible to get somewhere around 100, maybe 110 max, with wonders and UBs (from memory on an India game though I think I've gotten close in others as well) and a garrison (mech. inf. or GDR)

India has the Mughal Fort(pretyt cool UB imo especially for a one city challenge culture win). babylon has the walls, probably would be good also?

Top Bottom