CDG Series Discussion Thread

Thanks for the encouragement @Grendeldef!
...sometimes rolling a suitable map seems like one. ... I am notoriously bad for rolling good ones.
It is not just you. Previously with CDG I think I was play-testing four or more maps with the same settings before I had one that I thought was worth sharing. I am a little embarrassed to say that I must have tried a dozen Polynesian maps (with various settings) before I could come close to winning by CV. I only recently got around to trying the Rotate Start Position mod, so that looks like it will make sharing maps much easier.

Agree with Grendeldef, don't care about achievements, having a new, interesting map once or twice a month is awesome and appreciated.

I do not really mean to monopolize the series, but I have a Korean map ready to share that I was going to post this weekend. AIs are all science-oriented.
If you have a map already that's great. Would you say the map suits a Liberty game? The reason I said wait until later in the month is because the Polynesia map is still fairly new and there haven't been many submissions. Is it best to delay #27 until people have had a go on #26?

If you have a map already that's great. Would you say the map suits a Liberty game?
I just looked at my SV screen shot. Yes, I think the map suits a Liberty game. It is Small Continents Plus, is that acceptable to you? To go wide, you will either need to kill a neighbor (maybe two), or use the best of the island chains.

The reason I said wait until later in the month is because the Polynesia map is still fairly new and there haven't been many submissions.
My expectations were low, and they have been exceeded.

Is it best to delay #27 until people have had a go on #26?
It has been a couple weeks, but waiting another week or two is fine with me. It was your ask anyway!

Last edited:
Absent vocal protests, I am going to sit on my Korean game and start rolling Poland DOM-oriented maps. My initial plan is for Terra Incognita since my impression is that people do not care for Pangea Plus and I do not care for other Pangea scripts. I have in mind a theme for the opponents and I will be using the Rotating Start mod to pick something strong, but something without good Pantheon dirt (so that I am not myself tempted to put a Shrine in there early build queue.

I think it is probably good that every-other CDG map be DOM-oriented, as those seem to be the most popular.

I made the #25 Arabia game so messy that I decided to play the consentient's Demigod Alex game for L2P reasons before starting the Kame or whatever else might be available at the time while (slowly) trying to catch up. If the next one comes before I've started/finished the Kame one I'll probably join the bandwagon and play that first - it seems that playing what the others are playing is better of the available options. Lively thread is always a bonus.

As for the maps I'm not too picky, I hope and I warmly welcome Terra Incognita based maps. I'm not too keen on endless Pangaeas with or without the Plus. Dom is always a possibility and I get bored playing peacefully so I usually start few wars just to keep myself awake regardless of desired VC.

The short version: Keep'em coming & I'll try to keep up with the pace.

Okay, Poland game is up. I used IGE this time, mostly to remove some ice locking. Since I was in there already, I tried something new: There are two version of the T0 save file. For the Deity Lite version I deleted the extra AI settlers and one of their workers.

EDIT: A nice feature of the upgrade forum software is that I could correct the name! Originally I had “cdg 26 / Casimir” instead of “27/Poland”.

Last edited:
Excellent and for the future, do you have any plans for the next (few) civs to be used? If not or in case Attila isn't included I could roll something on the crappier side but still playable. Just something to steer one slightly off the beaten track.

...do you have any plans for the next (few) civs to be used?
I am sitting on an okay Korean game, designed for a science VC. I have vague ambitions about posting a Carthage map, prolly domination. I want the mountain-crossing to be important, but I am not sure how to make that so.
If not or in case Attila isn't included I could roll something on the crappier side but still playable.
I would very much welcome that. Sooner rather than later, I would say.

Sure thing then - time permitting I'll start rolling suitable Attila maps and one will be ready after that Korea one.

Crappy in this case meaning a moderate starting area without a chance to steamroll everyone by T120 and it sure won't be Pangaea of any sort, TI or Continents most likely. Playable indicates that HAs will have their moment of glory but some sort of transition from HAs to modern(ish) era will be mandatory.

I (think I) have a suitable Attila map now. Std size TI with minor changes in settings from std. Currently the map is being edited to remove blocking ice tiles that prevent circumnavigation the continent(s) if any and I should get it back by Sunday so there're few options after that.

a) Beetle may post the Korea sci map right away
b) I can post the Attila map which probably will be a dom oriented game
c) I'll send the Attila map to Beetle/some 3rd party for further proofing and it'll be the next one after Korea if OK'd and if not I keep on rolling maps
d) combination of b&c
e) something else

I'll be back on Sunday so before that I can't do much of anything and views other than Beetle's are obviously also welcomed.

OK then, unless there'll be any objections I'll post an Attila map tomorrow or on Monday at the latest.

Apparently the Attila map isn't as easy as I thought it'd be which sort of has screwed people a bit but after playing 200 turns and seeing the full(ish) map I like the general idea how it works so I could roll another one with easier opponents. There aren't too many Civs left and I originally thought about Indonesia but it has been played so I could do Askia or Cathy instead if no one has any plans for them.

I'll take Askia then and the game will NOT include Shaka. Assuming the next one will be Korea I'm not rushing this one but it'll be ready in time for next one after Sejong.

Sounds good. I plan to post the Korean map around the 24th. It could be sooner, but my sense is that folks will appreciate another week with Attila. I know I do...

Indeed and I'm in no hurry. I think that a game in every two weeks is quite enough and I assume most are like me in respect that there're unplayed games in the series so I'll do those in the unlikely event of having too much free time.

I just finished the Attila game @T287 Dom and I'm still tempted to replay it using Tradition or at least in some different way than I did nevertheless I enjoyed the map quite a bit but in case peeps in general don't like increased land mass etc I taking hints of what it should be like with the exception of it being Pangaea. I made enough friends with the infamous Polynesia map in the earlier series that there's no purpose of presenting maps no one wants to play.

The difficulty level of the Attila map came as a surprise to me though slow doesn't necessarily equate to difficult and whatever the map will be there'll be also a Lite version available from the beginning. The settings in the Lite version are open for discussion, too.

The last few games have been std maps with 8 civs / 16 CS but I think at least Consentient occasionally used Large maps (10/20) as a base; sea lvl works as a rough adjustment tool for the size of the land mass so the question is how do peeps now feel about the larger maps?

Generally the games are slightly longer, diplomacy will be more alive, there'll br more space for settling (for AI,too obviously), warfare will be trickier as AI tends to have relatively more units and so on. Usually the games are closer civ building than beelining to whatever one desires so probably more suitable for RP than competition. Personally I prefer Large maps over Std but I'm fine with sticking with them as well.

Top Bottom