CFC vs Strategamer game

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
I know this isn't quite on topic for MTDG, however I know there are many here who might be interested given the 18-player pitboss has ended. Emperor (aka Lord Parkin here on CFC) has posted the following on Strategamer. He and I have been exchanging PMs on it for months now.

Please direct sign-up replies and game discussion to the Strategamer forum. Here's the thread.

If we decide to field a (mostly) MTDG-based team, we may choose to handle team discussions in this thread.
Here's the original post so you don't have to go over there just to see what's up. :D

emperor said:
This was an idea proposed a while ago at EVG, but it never actually managed to get started. Hopefully we will be able to get it going now though. :)

The players: members from the two sites, Strategamer and Civfanatics. There will be two human teams in this game, and no AI - the human teams will be of equal size, the exact size depending on the method of play.

If PBEM: Either a 3 vs 3 match, or a 4 vs 4 match.
If PTBS: No limits except the inbuilt 18 civ limit (no mods for this game) - so theoretically up to a 9 vs 9 match, providing enough players are interested from both sites.

All the players from each site are set up as in a regular "teams" game - so each site's players share their team's knowledge of the world, pool tech research, and are naturally allied against the other team (and can't attack their teammates).

Suggested Settings:
Map Type - something that would be interesting (feel free to make suggestions!). Possibly a generated map, or possibly a custom-made one.
Map Size - dependent on the number of players. 3 vs 3: Small. 4 vs 4: Standard. 5 vs 5: Large. 6 vs 6 or above: Huge.
Sea Level - also dependent on the number of players, we will lower it if there are more players.
Difficulty - probably Monarch.
Speed - Normal.
Era - Ancient.
Climate - Temperate.
Wrap - Cylindrical (probably).
Resources - Standard. (No need for balanced with so many teammates.)
Options - None checked (open for debate though).
Victories - All enabled.

The Rules (will probably be extended as we go along and as I think of them):
- No duplicate leaders in the same team. For instance, there can't be three Gandhis fighting on one side. However, there can be two Gandhis, providing one is on each of the two different teams.
- Aside from the no duplicate leader on the same team rule, each team is allowed to pick any selection of leaders that they wish, and all players on both teams will get their first choices for all of their leaders.
- No espionage or other out-of-game deviousness - let's have an honourable game here, chaps. :hi: (In-game deviousness is permitted, however. :mischief:)

What we'll need:
- Members to play for both teams! Post below if you're interested.
- A host for the PTBS (if we're going for that option).

Roster to date:
STG members: emperor
CFC members:

Yeah, you may just want to get yourselves a private forum. ;) (I'm sure we are, anyhow.)

I hope there's some interest in this idea - I think it'd be a cool little mini-competition to have, while we're waiting for the snail-paced ISDG to progress (as well as in-between the MTDG here). :) See which site has the upper hand on a full-scale battle. :D

azzaman333 said:
Well, anyone at STG can see this thread, so, yeah. (Moreso since you linked to it ;))

We should put the thread in the ISDG private forum then. BTW is it Warlords? As it will be played in 2.08?

I might be able to fit another game into the roster but am unsure how teams would be picked, whether a first come first serve basis or whether there would be captains etc?

BCLG100 said:
I might be able to fit another game into the roster but am unsure how teams would be picked, whether a first come first serve basis or whether there would be captains etc?

First we struggle with getting enough interested, then we worry about the rest. :D I'm thinking that earliest signup probably results in the best chance to be one of the actual in-game players. :cool: I also assume we'll have the usual "spoiler thread/forum" rules, i.e. comments from the peanut gallery will be solicited and interested parties will be on the hook for backup play when someone takes a vacation. That is unless the Strategamer team has a problem with peanut galleries. :lol:

In response to other points made...

I'd expect the honor system to hold, this is just a friendly game not a no holds barred cutthroat game. But if we need a separate forum we could always ask for one. If not a separate forum, probably not this thread, given the cross-link. ;)

It would be a mistake to use the ISDG forum, because a lot of people frequent multiple sites and may be on another site's ISDG team. We don't want to artificially limit signups to those playing on the CFC ISDG team, this is a separate game.

I'm absolutely unfamiliar with ISDG's (Inter-Site Demo Games, right?). However, given my experience with MIA, and now Epsilon, I am interested in this. Is there a resource posted somewhere that I could read to find out a bit more?...

In any case, I think you could put me down as In :)

This is a great idea, and I am in, but what form that takes depends on the start time. As I'll probably be OOP for a couple of weeks over xmas and NY, that'll leave a bit of a gap. So I'll either play and someone can sub in for me, or I'll sit back and sub for someone else.

In fact there could be a replacement pool in one of two forms:
1. Starting players who are relieved from the cycling pool whenever neccessary
2. Everybody's in the pool, and the person at the top of the list takes whichever civ is handed to them when a player needs a break - kind of a tag team.

It all depends on the number of players, I suppose.

BCLG100 said:
Whether you want to set up a team captain is completely up to you... I was thinking of just letting each man make his own decisions for the STG team, with a bit of private discussion to determine combined tech, diplomatic and war efforts, etc. But you can choose to organise things however you'd like. :)

Sweetacshon said:
This is a great idea, and I am in, but what form that takes depends on the start time. As I'll probably be OOP for a couple of weeks over xmas and NY, that'll leave a bit of a gap. So I'll either play and someone can sub in for me, or I'll sit back and sub for someone else.

In fact there could be a replacement pool in one of two forms:
1. Starting players who are relieved from the cycling pool whenever neccessary
2. Everybody's in the pool, and the person at the top of the list takes whichever civ is handed to them when a player needs a break - kind of a tag team.

It all depends on the number of players, I suppose.
The replacement pool idea is also a good one... since everyone from each site will be on one team anyway, then it's not like anyone has anything to hide from any of their other teammates. Thus any player could take a break at some stage and let another step in for a while in their place, or whatever. Like I said, it's really up to you how you organise things. ;)

DaveShack said:
First we struggle with getting enough interested, then we worry about the rest. :D I'm thinking that earliest signup probably results in the best chance to be one of the actual in-game players. :cool: I also assume we'll have the usual "spoiler thread/forum" rules, i.e. comments from the peanut gallery will be solicited and interested parties will be on the hook for backup play when someone takes a vacation. That is unless the Strategamer team has a problem with peanut galleries. :lol:

In response to other points made...

I'd expect the honor system to hold, this is just a friendly game not a no holds barred cutthroat game. But if we need a separate forum we could always ask for one. If not a separate forum, probably not this thread, given the cross-link. ;)

It would be a mistake to use the ISDG forum, because a lot of people frequent multiple sites and may be on another site's ISDG team. We don't want to artificially limit signups to those playing on the CFC ISDG team, this is a separate game.
Er... what do you mean by "Peanut Gallery"? :lol:

Yep, I agree that this game should be just bound by an honour system. It's meant to be friendly and fun, not sneaky and ruthless (well, maybe that last one :mischief: ).

Yeah, this is seperate from the ISDG (although I'm sure many players will naturally be members of both games anyway). And yeah, using this particular thread for your private discussions probably wouldn't be the best idea. ;)

DaveMcW said:
Is there any rule against one player running multiple civs at the same time?

It would be rather boring to have the most active player doing everything.

Each player gets their own Civ. So each and every player is fully in control of their own civ, while at the same time being part of the team.

I'm interested in joining Team CFC if there is room for me

azzaman333 said:
Each player gets their own Civ. So each and every player is fully in control of their own civ, while at the same time being part of the team.
Exactly. That about sums it up best. ;) Each site should be able to find more than enough players such that no two civs need to be played by the same person.

dutchfire said:
BTW is it Warlords? As it will be played in 2.08?

I don't mind being back-up player, unless it's warlords, then I'll just watch the game.

Then I'll just watch you guys win for CFC :p.

By the way guys, I'll just note it here as well - we're still looking for a suitable host for the Pitboss game, so if anyone knows of someone who can help out that'd be great. (Especially if they're relatively neutral regarding both of the sites involved. ;) )

Top Bottom