Challenge-I-06

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Religious (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Hemispheres
  • Speed: Normal
  • Civ: France (Napoleon)
  • Opponents: Must include Egypt (Ramesses II), Ethiopia (Zara Yaqob), Germany (Bismark), Inca (Huayna Capac), Japan (Tokugawa), Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje)
  • Version: 3.19.002 or 3.19.003
  • Date: 1st January to 30th April 2010
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Does religious victory mean diplomatic victory through only the Apostolic Palace and not through UN? As opposed to a normal diplomatic victory which may be won using either the AP or the UN?

Does religious victory mean diplomatic victory through only the Apostolic Palace and not through UN? As opposed to a normal diplomatic victory which may be won using either the AP or the UN?

For Hall of Fame purposes, Religious victories are via the Apostolic Palace and Diplomatic victories are via the United Nations.

This one is upped to Immortal because, let's face it, religious victories are a bit easy. ;)

Good luck with this one though, Industrious religion hoggers, Mr no open borders and a map script that requires Optics.

Get toku on the other continent.

1. SH (reload until you get it)
2. bulb theo
3. AP anyway.

Actually those 3409587340985703948 gem starts can probably oracle theology before the AI anyway :p.

TheMeInTeam said:
Get toku on the other continent.

Wouldnt that not actually make it slower (normally)?
Toku would probably need to be gifted a city with the AP religion, which would require galleons if he resides on another hemisphere. Otherwise caravels should be enough to spread to other hemispheres.

Wouldnt that not actually make it slower (normally)?
Toku would probably need to be gifted a city with the AP religion, which would require galleons if he resides on another hemisphere. Otherwise caravels should be enough to spread to other hemispheres.

If he is on the other continent, you can insta-pleased him by gifting him something valuable like a tech or 50 gold or some such. If he is on your continent you might accrue stoptrade penalties or wind up in war before you get the ability to do that, and chances are he'll make some demands you don't want (like DoW on someone you want voting for you).

Once you get OB you can have him rot to hating you as long as he doesn't declare before you win...the AI generally will not close borders once they're opened just on relations changes.

I put up a win on my first try here, but it was a slog since Ram went and spammed it so I had to win over an extra AI. As said though, AP is easier than other victories :p.

Toku was one of the AIs that voted for me. He and I were both jewish initially so even though he bordered me, no attacks :p.

Posted a win to clear the one with least appeal for me.

I never played for AP before, and the whole concept irks me a bit, with all the arbitrary rules and complexities (and that it is supposedly way too easy).

First attempt I realized I could not beat Bismarck, who had more than double my vote number. I even bribed him into adopting christianity, could probably win if I didnt! :lol:

Then read somewhere that AP cheesing abuses the fact that noone actually has to be in the AP religion for the vote to come up. Well that changes plans a lot.

Next attempt, got a fanatic jewish Ramses and my old friend Bismarck as fellow hemispherists.
Oracled Theology around 1400BC, and went about spreading christianity. It turns out Ramses was more than happy to spread it himself, so I could focus on Biz. He founded Confu at some point and converted, which meant a period of cautious germans with a huge power lead. I helped Ramses put judaism in enough cities that he would convert for 140g.
Got stuck still researching optics after every city on the continent had both judaism and christianity(AP). Of course won the first vote after I got the missionaries out to the other continent. Both Ramses and Biz were friendly.

If I had to redo it, I'd focus more on science early to get optics sooner.

Oh, and it is definitely too easy. Didnt feel like immortal at all.

^ :lol: Thx, that's about as simple as it gets. :mischief:

I submitted a 1110 AD, just to get on the board. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, having never done one of these. I could win it way faster next time. Got Optics circa 100 AD, but I got all mixed up with religion spread. I'll have another go after getting a few more of these out of the way...

This one wasn't so bad... I had Zara and Willem on my continent. Oracled Theology and founded Christianity which became the AP religion. Later caught Bhudism and thereby converted to Bhudist making founder Zara Friendly... Willem remained Bhudist but spread the Christian faith to all cities... and later went into favorite civic Free Religion... never got him Friendly and basically needed his votes because he could block victory all by himself.

Ramses got Friendly due to shared war against Toku. I converted Toku by declaring war on him and then offering a new 1-pop christian-infected city as a peace offering. SUCKER!

Gifted a 1-pop iceball city to Willem for +4 fair and forthright, because he had apparently forgotten about earlier gifts and I had no tech to give.

I got a GSpy which I used on Willem to kick him out of Free Religion, just as the AP diplo victory vote came up... and I expected him to be in Bhudism then and vote for me. But he was in Islam (which he founded). Unfortunately, my other spy was not able to change his religion to Bhudism during that turn. But Willem voted for me at Pleased. Totally unexpected. I guess its those hidden modifiers. I suspect the competitive players either know these things or look them up for opponents in their games... but with me, its just luck. :p

One annoying thing was when I infected a small Bismark city, the first thing he does is break it off as a colony (Victoria)... I then need to re-infect Bismark, and must deal with Vicky who is now a full member having adopted Christianity as her state religion. Her one vote (plus 8 from Bismark) were irrelevant, though. Needed 256 votes of 311 to win, and Willem had 165 votes. :eek: And he voted for me at Pleased. :p Zara and Ramses voted for me at Friendly, for a combined total of about 80 votes (plus 70 of my own, I did not convert to Christianinty during the interim because I actually expected to lose this vote and did not want the turns of unfriendly with Zara).

Not spectacular finish date, but I'm just trying to see how many of these challenge games I can even complete. That's 5 down, 5 to go. :D

I hope its accepted, and I didn't use a wrong map setting or something. Somehow seems cheating to not have Aggresive AI setting and to be using No Barbs. Random events were on, but the positive impacts were irrelevant... and the negative impact (-1 diplo with Willem) perhaps slowed my finish by a century or two. Oh well. Oh yeah, finish date was 1500AD. I can rarely get a religious victory so late in the game.

No barbs? Doh! I didn't realize that. I got a 560 AD win with barbs on. Let me try this again.

I also get Zara and Willem on almost every map I've looked at. How is that happening?

^ I was actually rolling HC + Willem almost every time. I was gonna ask about it here, but completely forgot since. Once in a blue moon, when I rolled a third AI, it was Toku. Never got the 3 others from, like, 20 rolls.

Top Bottom