Change Dreadnought/Assault Mech Limit for Next War?

PatPeter

Chieftain
Dreadnoughts have a limit of 2 and Assault Mechs have a limit of 4, is there anyway to change this?

Yes. It requires locating and editing one file to change the two numbers.

Somewhat hand-wavey 3 step explanation follows...

This is controlled via the mod's CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml file.

Step 1 is to find this file. The single most likely location is this: "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Next War\Assets\XML\Units". There may be some slight difference - "Program Files" might have something in parenthesis after it, for example. If you selected a different place when installing the game then start looking where you picked. Also, if you got the game via Steam or D2D then this is probably not where it is. Alternatively, you may be able to search for this file: you'll probably find a bunch of them (roughly one for the base game, one per expansion pack, and one per mod - maybe slightly less). You need to pick the right one.

Once you have found the right version of the file you get to
Step 2: Make a copy of the file (for backup purposes, so you can change it back if something goes wrong or if you want to play the regular mod in multiplyer).

Step 3: edit the file using Notepad. XMl is data that is in chunks that are labeled via tags. Look for the sections that have the <Type> tag set to UNITCLASS_ASSAULT_MECH and UNITCLASS_DREADNOUGHT (this one is easy to find as it is the last one in the file, the other is just a few before it). The iMaxPlayerInstances value is the limit, for each of them you can set this to whatever value you want or -1 for no limit. If it won't let you directly save the file (Vista, for one, hates for you to directly change files that are under C:\Program Files) you can probably save it to your desktop and them move it to the right place instead.

Congratulations, after doing this you have just created a very simple mod, or mod-mod actually. Ordinarily in the Mods folder you'd copy the entire Next War folder to another folder with a different name, like "My Next War" or whatever, and make your changes to that whole copy and then run that instead of Next War. You should do it this way if you expect to change anything else - a couple of changes in one file is easy to remember what to undo, should you want to, but for anything more you might just as well make an entirely separate mod instead of messing with the original. It also means you've got the unaltered original to refer back to when something goes wrong in your modding efforts.

Just wanted to reply so that you knew I received this message. I've had it open in my browser for around a month now meaning to testing it.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time for giving me such a thorough response, I hate those limitations in Next War.

Top Bottom