CharisTale1- Celtic Christmas (Deity5CC)

I can't wait until the next Charis game/tale! :) (hopefully there's one in the Civ3 demogame -hint- -hint-)

I wrote up a summary for those who prefer that over wading through four pages of story, and so thought I would include it here. (Also a comment to Chieftess - I took a look at the current state of affairs in the Demo game, and was considering tossing out a tactical plan, but... holy cow, the detailed plans in place on the forums are incredible, they put to shame any brief off-the-cuff ideas. And looking at the mil advisor and the histogram, you guys are going to *CRUSH* the Indians, mark my words! :hammer: )

For those wondering about a next tale, my current game is VERY unusual, and will likely make for a good story. It could most definitely go either way, win or loss, and I think I'm 80% done. When finished, and when I can wrap a story around it and make pictures, I'll post it in this forum if that's of interest (early February) :D

Charis Braveheart, the immortal Celtic leader, summarizes his nation's history...

* Standard Map, 7 Opponents, middle Pangaea, Random conditions (-> wet, warm 5 Billion)
* River start with two cattle, large amount of grasslands, 3950 BC Capital
* First build was a temple with forest chop, then warriors to scout
* City two (Alesia, 2510BC) has a cattle, a wheat, two gold hills, coastal
* City three (Lugdunum, 2310BC) has two wheat, a hill, no overlap with capital
* City four (Camulodunum, 2030BC) has horses and two cows
* City five (Richborough, 1025BC) after Iron seen in hills within its grasp, also gems
* First UU made in 625BC as the AI gets Feudalism
* First war in 430BC vs the Chinese who settled four cities in our continent, and
poached our gems. Golden Age is kicked off, and war lasts until we raze Beijing
in 110BC, taking Masonry, Philosophy, Code of Laws, Lit, Map, Monarchy and World Map.
* Almost immediately, second war vs Ottomans who founded in our first ring,
it's a limited war pushing them off our continent, ending in 170AD with two techs
* Around 300AD the Koreans signal 'sneak attack coming!' but hit with insufficient
force. We effectively get two techs (Engineering for free trade, Gunpowder for peace)
* Three hundred years of peace and building up economy. Foes "fill-in" razed areas,
then another brief war to kick Korea off our continent again, win, switch to Republic
* In 720AD a Viking poacher city takes our saltpeter, we go to war over it, raze that
and another city, and get our first GL, a tech almost for free, and rush Bach's
* For next 200 yrs, buildup and catchup, ending with a mostly phony war with Babylon
and with good trading we reach the Industrial Era in 880AD
* In 980 AD we kick Korea off our continent AGAIN, for the last time, and get 2nd GL
That gives us Heroic Epic, and soon a 20gpt payment for peace. Region is ours for good.
* 1090AD sees our first tech steal attempt, vs Ottomans who are rather gassed from
their war with Iroquois. It succeeds and we get Steam Power, which is traded around to
snag Democracy, Medicine, Sanitation, and Free Artistry. Our econ is great, but no coal.
* 1270AD and we're ready for war to capture coal, so we start with a steal attempt, and
snag Industrializaion. Odd timing sees them demand tribute next turned, which turns to
war when refused. We MPP with the top power, Iroquois, and steal Corporation. We raze
three cities quickly using our cav army. Vikings embargo us and we respond by stealing
Refining (feeling strong with MPP in place). That's traded for Communism and Electricity.
We learn we have one of only two oil spots on the whole planet. (*KEY* factor!)
Defense is too strong to press further and we take peace w/o much gain but 3rd GL
* New Wall Street gives us cash to steal Replaceable Parts safely, and we see we have
no rubber. Also, our culture borders now fill the whole continent. (1395AD)
* 1450AD now back in peace, most others Communist, we save up and steal Sci Method
safely and the recent GL rushes the ToE. Atomic and Electonics mean we snag Hoover.
* Shortly after war breaks out in denying Korea's demand for coal tribute. Around then
we carefully extract Mass Production from Ottomans and try to self research Tanks.
* 1510AD the grand plan is set in motion, with arrival of Tanks, roll over all of Korea
and sit on the other oil source (and get a rubber colony). We get a GL -> Battlefield Med
* Soon we ally with Ottomans vs Koreans, steal Flight from Ottomans :p GL -> Tank army
* By 1700AD we've razed most of Korea, controlled the oil, and laid down some airstrips
* 1730AD sees us enter the modern era, hitting Vikings hard after they ally with Korea
* Over next 20 years, brutal wars go well for Celts, we build CIA and plant spies
* We let them live, take Rocketry for peace, and encourage sci civs to get techs for us
* Late 1700's we get Fission, build UN, and bide our time until Computers (MI monopoly)
* In 1838AD Iroquois demand tribute, and we cave (!) While we probably should have pressed
on with tanks, we sit back for Modern Armor to appear
* 1872AD - A synth fiber steal attempt fails and we're in war with Iro (we MPP with Otts)
That turn lasted many hours, but we did MAJOR damage to the Iro, and get a GL
* Weariness is brutal, and we drop out of Democracy to Republic. The war, with tanks,
is going slow vs 170 infantry, so we try to steal Fibers again, and succeed
* 1898AD - Ottomans, our ally, demand a tiny tribute, refused. They *NUKE* Entremont!!!!
* We turn Istanbul into rubble, along with almost a dozen other cities, in ONE round,
make a cease-fire with Iro, and in a few short years, they're down to one island city
* In 1934AD, Iroquois getting too close to launch, we have a humorous set of spy
events which we hope fail, instead succeeed. We let peace treaty expire, then
crank up the heat in a combination assault on the Iroquois from four directions.
* In 1953AD our transports sent on a long trip reach the Iro island, raze the city
and we eliminate the Iroquois. In 1954 the last Ottoman island city is razed
* 1955 AD Conquest victory, scoring a meager 2016 points, but winning the 5CC by conquest

Key factors -
- The gambit of founding Richborough further away from the others, at a chokepoint
near iron and gems, turned out to be a great move
- Our Gallic sword build up was extremely slow, not ready until they had Feudalism.
BUT we attacked them at their outskirts where no Pikes seen, crippled China, got 6 techs
- The civs that kept founding cities in our region were weaker ones, which we could (and
did) expel several times, gaining a tech or two each time
- Having the two superpowers go at each other when the Ottomans got Siphali was
a huge help to our cause, and enabled us to take on Ottomans to purify our land
- Biggest factor of all was the fact of two oils in the game and one right next to
Richborough. It was a long campaign to crush Korea and control the other one, but
after that, ONLY we could make planes, battleships, tanks, MI and MA
- By sending in Mech Inf in pairs/trios, we were able to pillage Salamanca and pillage
the only Iro Uranium, keeping them from going postal on us
- The nuking of our capital was more painful psychologically than in reality. It's just
really good they didn't have four more nukes!
- We made fairly heavy use of espionage to steal techs, boldly and cheaply when war was
a welcome result, and the economy was strong enough to go safe when we had to
- The other countries fought each other bitterly and dragged the rest of the world
into communism, which thankfully slowed down the tech race to a manageable pace
- Colonies were *extremely* useful, for coal, rubber, and eventually all 8 lux
- Good tactics and use of artillery, keeping our own losses low, let us stay in
democracy despite massive warmongering (keeping 40% lux and 8 luxuries online)
- The hundreds of captured workers let us rail the whole world for good mobility,
being sure to maintain choke points in the rail net guarded heavily

Charis Braveheart

:goodjob: Congratulations Charis .

What a great Game and a wonderful, funny story :lol:

I hope Mr. Pindleton got a nice statue :)

Thanks for this Game and Story

Rowain

PS: On Worker count: You can move them (with Move Units of same type) to 1 or several tiles and let the Game count it with the Fortify all (## Units) part by rightclickin them.

Yeah, we had lots of inspiration from you, Charis. Falcon said "I sure wish Charis was here" quite a few times. Now we just need a plan for domination... :)

Charis, this is brilliant! I printed off all 4 pages and read it last night, like a novella, laughing my head off constantly. Remind me never to play you multiplayer...

You commented about how cutting off the iro(?) capital didn't affect the luxeries present in other cities.

I believe that the roads to capital only affects the ability to trade resources, and this is the way that it has been even in Civ3.

Your cities will get the benefit of any resource connected by an unrestricted road network, regardless of whether they are connected to the capital (found a city on lux on a different continent and you'll see).

Masterpiece of a game...and brilliant story !

BRAVO !

Bravo. Very well played. I am very impressed. I salute you.

FYI, that Nuke took out approx. 1,870,000 citizens.

That was a BIG Nuke.

Wow, absolutely fancinating. I love reading these stories. Hehe, it would make a good Xmas story, wouldn't it, barbslinger? I think the general I dea was to build up a military, and go WWWWEEEEEEEEE through your enemies, then stop and rebuild. I like the 5CC idea, sounds like a lot of fun. You should try the 5CC in C3C on Sid, or the OCC on Sid. THAT would be a true challenge!!

Although Thread Necromancy, as it has been called, is usually complained about, I have to say that, in this case, I definately owe you one! A hilarious story. I'm inspired. If you can beat Deity with five cities, maybe I can beat Regent with eighty... >_>

If not, then I'll feel really sad. :-(

Top Bottom