Checkmate

i think i find little use in them because i tend to focus my trade into science instead of gold. i find little use for them as i cant steal techs. i have no interest in the internal workings of an enemy city, and usually not interested in buying a weak unit.
if i focused a game into making gold and stealing tech, iscience would probably be popping out diplomats all the time as the units being purchased would be the same level as the ones i can make and stealing the tech would be a secondary huge use for them
Don't focus science. Gold is a lot more useful. I usually research Writing, MapMaking and Wheel, no more is needed. Then I do 100% tax and conquer the world.

use diplomat. and buy an enemy unit more than 3 squares away from one of your cities.

edit.
not 100% sure if its 3 squares. it may be more. but you get the idea ;)

It's not 3 squares. The unit you're buying should be closer to an enemy city than it is to one of your own cities.

I usually research Writing, MapMaking and Wheel, no more is needed. Then I do 100% tax and conquer the world.
what your suggesting is the most opposite approach to what i enjoy.

set yourself a challenge.
do your typical conquest game without chariots. (see previous comment as to "why") and let me know if it was more or less enjoyable than the usual game.

Civ1 has a lot more mechanics to be enjoyed that a conquest game simply bypasses.

its just a shame the AI is soo dumb at space races.. cus i would like to see a somehow realistic space race in the game.

if i focused a game into making gold and stealing tech, i would probably be popping out diplomats all the time

Don't focus science. Gold is a lot more useful. I usually research Writing, MapMaking and Wheel, no more is needed. Then I do 100% tax and conquer the world.

Gold, Science, Tech, Space, Tax. None of this matters. Once you have control of the world, these things flow like water. How do you get control of the world? The most powerful piece on the board is the Diplomat.

Last edited:
what your suggesting is the most opposite approach to what i enjoy.

set yourself a challenge.
do your typical conquest game without chariots. (see previous comment as to "why") and let me know if it was more or less enjoyable than the usual game.

Civ1 has a lot more mechanics to be enjoyed that a conquest game simply bypasses.

its just a shame the AI is soo dumb at space races.. cus i would like to see a somehow realistic space race in the game.
Not that hard. Just use knights.

its not about dificulty, its about enjoyment.

knights require a bit extra tech to unlock. that can, under some circunstances, change the whole flow of the game. which i would hope bring more enjoyment to your experience.

its not about dificulty, its about enjoyment. knights require a bit extra tech to unlock. that can, under some circunstances, change the whole flow of the game. which i would hope bring more enjoyment to your experience.

Once you've beaten a game a couple times, either switch games or find new challenges in the old one. Hobbling yourself like "Never Chariots" is a fun twist, just one example of how easily Civ1 can be repurposed. Finding ways to force the AI's decisions is fun too.

Top Bottom