Christianity = Violent Religion?

Miles Teg

Nuclear Powered Mentat
SO christinaity was justified in all killing all the "indians" just to look for gold?

First off learn to to spell the word "Christianity" Never confuse excuses for reasons. Christians didn't kill natives that lived near or on valuable resources for religious reasons. They killed them for the resources.

So christinaity was justified for mass bombing of civilans?

When did this happen?

Integral

Can't you hear it?
I thought we had already established that we must seperate the followers of a religion from its founding doctrine?

Please, let's not backslide here. Focus on the role of violence in Christian doctrine, not the violence of individuals who may or may not have been Christians.

-Integral

George2816

Emperor
Christians didn't kill natives that lived near or on valuable resources for religious reasons. They killed them for the resources.
So? They still killed them and they were christans. How many treaties did the USA made with the indians and then break them?

When did this happen?
Iraq of course

George2816

Emperor
I thought we had already established that we must seperate the followers of a religion from its founding doctrine?

Please, let's not backslide here. Focus on the role of violence in Christian doctrine, not the violence of individuals who may or may not have been Christians.

-Integral
Well that depends on what sect that belong to. Some sects you can "backslide" and still go to heaven no matter what you did even if you killed millions. Other sects you can not backslide and if you do you will go to hell and yet other sects some people just are not meant to go to heaven no matter if they are in that sect or not!

skadistic

Caomhanach
So? They still killed them and they were christans. How many treaties did the USA made with the indians and then break them?But they didn't kill them in the name of christianity. I know you are a troll and haven't bother to read and comprehend 80% of this thread. But do use all a favour and get an idea of whats going on here.

Iraq of course
Site time place and numbers of dead and number of bombs.

The Yankee

The New Yawker
Retired Moderator

-Integral

Don't let that get in the way of yet another Iraq argument. ;)

This thread is veering far off course. Have we managed to get some proof to the table or shall we declare those saying Christianity by doctrine isn't a violent religion (including myself, for reasons already stated in this thread) the winners?

George2816

Emperor
But they didn't kill them in the name of christianity. I know you are a troll and haven't bother to read and comprehend 80% of this thread. But do use all a favour and get an idea of whats going on here.
Actually your wrong, one of the indian chiefs was told to convert to christanity or die and he said something like "Your religion is evil and i would rather die". At that point he was killed for not converting.

Site time place and numbers of dead and number of bombs.
I could site any number of sources but you "christans" would reject them and claim its not really true. BTW how many dead kids did Israel kill in the War last Year? (I know israel isn't a christan nation but the USA is and they supplied them with the bombs so we are as guilty as they are)

Integral

Can't you hear it?
Yankee said:
Don't let that get in the way of yet another Iraq argument.

This thread is veering far off course. Have we managed to get some proof to the table or shall we declare those saying Christianity by doctrine isn't a violent religion (including myself, for reasons already stated in this thread) the winners?

I think that our side wins. There have been no serious attempts to prove that Christianity is violent by its doctrine.

It's sad, because this could have been more interesting...but people are using mass ad hominems. :(

I want to thank the team for coming out tonight...puglover, elrohir, yankee, even you skad...if we just had mesoy it would have been a party. :p

VX250

Down With Swingtown
So? They still killed them and they were christans. How many treaties did the USA made with the indians and then break them?

Iraq of course

Good god. I don't really know what to say. Neither of those things have ANYTHING to do with religon. They were not done in the name of religion, even if the people who did them were. I just don't know what to say. Iraq had nothing to do with religion. Those bombs were never dropped on civilians, and they were dropped by different nations with different religions. I don't know what to say. Also, it's bizarre that just because people who are Christian drop bombs, kill Indians that automatically means that it's something Christianity encourages/endorses. I just don't know what to say.

George2816

Emperor
Don't let that get in the way of yet another Iraq argument. ;)

Can i ask you what church you go to?

BTW doctrine by itself means jack if their are no followers of it (Well some peace church are that way but since you are on the computer i doubt you are in a peace church!)

skadistic

Caomhanach
I think that our side wins. There have been no serious attempts to prove that Christianity is violent by its doctrine.

It's sad, because this could have been more interesting...but people are using mass ad hominems. :(

I want to thank the team for coming out tonight...puglover, elrohir, yankee, even you skad...if we just had mesoy it would have been a party. :p

Why I'm all ablush.:blush:

I'm also a rabid militant atheist but even I get it.

Miles Teg

Nuclear Powered Mentat
Actually your wrong, one of the indian chiefs was told to convert to christanity or die and he said something like "Your religion is evil and i would rather die". At that point he was killed for not converting.

First off: Sources?

Secondly: It's called an "excuse". Nobody likes to be forcibly converted, as the settlers well knew. They would have killed him sooner or later. Not because they were Christians but because they were evil men who acted as Christians to be accepted

I could site any number of sources but you "christans" would reject them and claim its not really true.
I'm open minded. Show me your "proof"

BTW how many dead kids did Israel kill in the War last Year? (I know israel isn't a christan nation but the USA is and they supplied them with the bombs so we are as guilty as they are)

So now the defensive war of a Jewish nation funded by a secular nation with some Christian overtones is being cast as a Christian atrocity?

LightFang

"I'm the hero!"

I would have been there in force if I didn't have crappy IB Internal Assessments to write. :(

VX250

Down With Swingtown
I just don't know what to say. You are saying because a few people who fellow a religion but don't follow the doctrine (which pretty much means they aren't members of that religion) that automatically makes the religion a violent one?

So you are saying if a peaceful man starts his own religion that preaches nothing but peace and love, but a violent man calls himself a member of this religion and goes around raping and mudering person that automatically makes that religion a violent one?

I just don't know what to say.

Integral

Can't you hear it?
Why I'm all ablush.:blush:

I'm also a rabid militant atheist but even I get it.

We may be bitterly opposed, but at least you don't make ad hominems. For that, and trying to get to the root of the issue and not just the surface, you get on the list. ;)

LightFang said:
I would have been there in force if I didn't have crappy IB Internal Assessments to write.

You'll be there next time, I'm sure. :) EDIT: You got in on post 9, I just missed it when I was scanning through the thread.

VX250 said:
I just don't know what to say. You are saying because a few people who fellow a religion but don't follow the doctrine (which pretty much means they aren't members of that religion) that automatically makes the religion a violent one?

I'm saying that Christian doctrine, at its roots, is not inherently violent. Thus, one cannot blame Christianity (the religion) for the actions of its misguided followers. Now, if Christianity was violent at its roots, then yes it would be responsible for those crimes.

The inherent violence of Christianity is determined by its founding documents, not by the actions of its followers. I find little to no New Testament evidence that Jesus condoned offensive war. Thus, Christianity, from its heart, is not violent. Extending to the Old Testament is more tricky and requires more careful thought, analysis, and consideration. But solely from the New Testament, Christians are nowhere commanded to incite violence against the nonbeliever.

-Integral

George2816

Emperor
First off:Sources?

Secondly: It's called an "excuse" nobody likes to be forcibly converted, as the settlers well knew. They would have killed him sooner or later. Not because they were Christians but because they were evil men who acted as Christians to be accepted
Are you claiming that its ok to kill just because all men are evil. (Btw i doubt i can locate a source soon.) {I remember the most stupidest stuff!)

So now the defensive war of a Jewish nation funded by a secular nation with some Christian overtones is being cast as a Christian atrocity?
Israel bombing lebanon was a defensive war? and yes when you supply a nation with bombs you don't expect them to bomb themself right?

just don't know what to say. You are saying because a few people who fellow a religion but don't follow the doctrine (which pretty much means they aren't members of that religion) that automatically makes the religion a violent one?
tell me what church or sect in Christianity opposes or rejects violence even when attacked?? (Other then the few peace churches)

skadistic

Caomhanach
Actually your wrong, one of the indian chiefs was told to convert to christanity or die and he said something like "Your religion is evil and i would rather die". At that point he was killed for not converting.Site names and date.

I could site any number of sources but you "christans" would reject them and claim its not really true. BTW how many dead kids did Israel kill in the War last Year? (I know israel isn't a christan nation but the USA is and they supplied them with the bombs so we are as guilty as they are)
I'm not a christian..... now thats cleared up.I'm still waiting for the mass bombing of civilians in Iraq to be sited by you with a place time and numbers. But I don't get that instead I get some BS about Israel. And if you really want to talk about dead Lebanese kids lets talk about how rocket launchers were placed on the grounds of a children's hospice by terrorists. Then when the Israelis bomb a launcher it kills a bunch of kids who were placed there and "martyred". If thats not bad enough they then go and carry the same dead boy from wrecked building to wrecked building to inflate the precieved death toll well above what it actually was. But those kids weren't targeted now were they.

skadistic

Caomhanach
Are you claiming that its ok to kill just because all men are evil. (Btw i doubt i can locate a source soon.) {I remember the most stupidest stuff!)
So you don't have a source. I didn't think you did.

Israel bombing lebanon was a defensive war? and yes when you supply a nation with bombs you don't expect them to bomb themself right?

And yes it was a defensive war. Started by the launching of 100 or so rockets by hezbola at civilian targets and the cross border incursion to kidnap an Israeli soldier or three. If you are going to be a second rate troll at least get a clue to what it is you are talking about.

LightFang

"I'm the hero!"

Nobody said that!

and yes when you supply a nation with bombs you don't expect them to bomb themself right?

What?

tell me what church or sect in Christianity opposes or rejects violence even when attacked?? (Other then the few peace churches)

Wait. So you're saying because Christians don't believe in rolling over and dying, that now it's a violent religion because they want to protect their homeland? What?

Miles Teg

Nuclear Powered Mentat

No it's not Ok. It happens. To stop these things is a task noble and good, but don't blame a religion they affect but don't follow

I refer you to Skadistic's post. Stationing a Rocket Launcher in a hospice makes for a dicey moral situation on all sides.

Edit. Gotta be faster with these responses or I look like a "Me to" poster.

Top Bottom