Christmas traditions in your country/family

oagersnap

Emperor
What Christmas traditions do you have? Post them here!

In Denmark, the main Christmas celebration is on the evening of the 24th. Most families eat duck, goose or turkey for dinner, and afterwards, for dessert, we eat ris à l'amande, a type of rice pudding eaten cold with chopped almonds. In the bowl a whole almond is hidden, the one who finds it while eating receives "mandelgaven" (the almond present), which is a small, reasonably cheap item like a book or a box of chocolates.

Then it's time to dance around the Christmas tree (which in our family is decorated mainly with red and white paper hearts, burning candles and a star on top).
Dancing arond the Christmas tree is a typical Danish tradition. It's not really "dancing", it's just that everybody holds hands in a circle around the Christmas tree, and then walk around it while singing Christmas carols.

Then it's time to open the presents, which are lying under the tree. After that, everybody is tired, and go to bed soon afterwards.

No traditions here since we don't celebrate Christmas, being an ethnic and traditional Chinese. :ack: Just another extra off day in the work year...

Dancing arond the Christmas tree is a typical Danish tradition. It's not really "dancing", it's just that everybody holds hands in a circle around the Christmas tree, and then walk around it while singing Christmas carols.

Wow what a lovely tradition I'd love to see it or join in one day. I have a friend living in Denmark and I once had a colleague who was Danish but she's gone back.

We don't really have traditions as much in my family. But we do have a BBQ and midnight church service. We have had family friends over, virtually anyone who wants to come over on Christmas day so it can be very tiring.

Well have a great Christmas!! :D

On one of my days off before xmas, we load all the kids in the car and hit Sonic or QuikTrip for some kind of drink, and then drive around looking at the xmas lights and listening to xmas carols.

We hit the Plaza Lights sometime after xmas and before New Years.

Doesn't sound like much, but the kids enjoy it.

Similar to the danish one, but we have prime rib or pinneskjøtt (rib of sheep) as Christmas dinner.

My family opens one and only one present on Christmas Eve and then waits for the rest until the next morning.

family
going around looking at the "o-t-t's"
me
getting everyone slippers(mostly)
dogs get a wraped ball each

Top Bottom