City Names in Northern Canada

McA123

Prince
Since Canada isn't a Civ in Civ 4, (and can't really be, as it had no great revolution to break away from its mother nation and was just a colony of britain until not so long ago) Britain, America and France (to a degree, but not in this case) have the city names in Canada. This makes sense, but playing as Britain, I've founded several of the historically accurate cities along the US border (Halifax, Toronto, Thunder Bay), and I was planning on heading up north to the territories. However, there appear to be no city names for Britain in the Yukon, northern Manitoba, etc. I just figured that since there ARE cities there, either Britain or America or both should have some city names for that area. Mind you, they're not huge metropolis', but regardless, it's a big area with room for plenty of cities.

Oh, also, while I'm on the topic of British Colonial city names, Around the area that Cayenne (French) is in South America is where British Giana (something like that, I'm too lazy to look up the spelling) was. The area passed hands between the British, Dutch and French several times. I think that as it was at one time a British colony, there should be a city name for one of the squares maybe. Neither of these things are major, they're just small little things that, if possible, I would like to see in the next version, maybe. I think the mod is great, it's replaced Civ 4 for me, just like Rhye's of Civilization replaced Civ 3 for me. Keep up the great work!

There are not really any cities in Northern Canada that matter on the scale of Rhyle's or any playable Civ IV world map anyway.

I'm happy england always seems to go to Canada. But yeah it would be nice if they would found more to the south. Maybe if the north part of the country was made a little less attractive? Fill Hudson Bay with Ice or something :)
At least the Fort names are okay up there. Makes them at least somewhat feel like the remote outpost they should be. But I think "York Factory" is a really funny name. I see that one founded a lot.

I didn't find Giana anywhere. Maybe you meant Guyana? But I need the name of a city founded by the English there.

As for the northern canadian cities, I don't know if they were founded by english colonists or more recently by American or Canadian themselves. I would need some help by a canadian

Rhye said:
I didn't find Giana anywhere. I need the correct spelling! The only English name I could found in the area was "St.Georges"

As for the northern canadian cities, I don't know if they were founded by english colonists or more recently by American or Canadian themselves. I would need some help by a canadian

Guyana is the english one, and French Guiana is the french one, and Suriname is the dutch one.

Here's the thing about Canada. Almost HALF the population lives in Ontario. Most of the biggest cities in Canada are there: Toronto, Hamilton, Kingston, London, Kitchener, St. Catharines, Windsor, Oshawa.

For all intents and purposes, by Civ standards, NOBODY lives that far north:

http://www.natureconservancy.ca/images/upload/photo-map-population.jpg

(Although this is why I keep saying that going for 100% total realism in this mod is impossible, AND a bad idea to strive for.)

Is it possible to make a bunch of plots all have one or two city names as a first choice? Then you could just make a lot of those northern cities named Toronto, Ottowa, etc. just to make sure the larger canadian cities show up. I would prefer to see those founded by the English even if they aren't in the exact right position.

The Northern terrains in CIV IV do not do enough to keep populaton down. It is too bad terrain could not be given a "hospitable" ratings keeping population down.

MrThing said:
There are not really any cities in Northern Canada that matter on the scale of Rhyle's or any playable Civ IV world map anyway.
Erm, these are names we're talking about. They're just flavor anyhow. And I think this is one of the best flavor touches ever, so we should definately polish it to our hearts' content.

Well, I am a Canadian. I live in Nova Scotia, not up north, but I could give you the names of the biggest cities up north, which would be the only real ones worth incorporating. Iqaluit is probably too small to merit representation, with a population of about 6 000 (according to wikipedia). It's on Baffin Island, although i think in the mod baffin is all ice anyways. Yellowknife and Whitehorse are the biggest cities in the area i would say. There are about 105 000 people living in the entire area according to wikipedia. While that's a rather small chunk of Canada, this represents about half of the land area of the country (estimate). And like Blas said, it's a cosmetic thing. Any cities built up there will never expand very big, or be extremely productive, because of the harsh terrain, as is in real life. Also, according to Wikipedia, Yellowknife and Whitehorse have populations of roughly 20 000, which i believe is big enough to merit representation on the map.

Oh, this is somewhat on topic. but Alberta is a HUGE producer of crude oil in modern times, and yet there is no oil in the area. I think it would make sense to add some in the area somewheres. I'm not an albertan and my geography isn't the best but with a bit of research it wouldn't be too tough to find a good spot to put it in. Of course, this is only if you think it's worth implementing. Just an idea.

Oh, and according to wikipedia, "The Athabasca Oil Sands (previously known as the Athabasca Tar sands) have estimated oil reserves in excess of that of the rest of the world, estimated to be 1.6 trillion barrels (254 km³)." mind you, it goes on to say that only 315 billion of these barrels are able to be harvested, but as Civ 4 goes beyond the technological level of today, it would be realistic to have in the game as it would be possible to retrieve in the not-so-distant future (i.e. that of Civ 4), I would expect.

The thing about the oil sands is that it requires 3 barrels of oil worth of energy to harvest 4 barrels of oil. So it's EXTREMELY inefficient. It's only become economically viable in the past few years, now that gas prices are through the roof. Suddenly, the cost of oil in the tar sands is close to that of buying it from Saudi Arabia.

To put it in lamen's terms... imagine someone had the tools to make burgers, but they'd be expensive. $10 a piece. Nobody wants a 10 dollar burger, so they don't make em. On the other hand, the rest of the world starts charging 8 or 9 bucks for a burger. Suddenly, people are willing to buy a 10 dollar burger, so this forward thinking individual finally enters the market.

It's not a technological issue so much as an economic issue.

Rhye said:
I didn't find Giana anywhere. Maybe you meant Guyana? But I need the name of a city founded by the English there.

the Capital of Guyana (earlier English-Guayana, as opposed to Surinam (Netherland-Guyana) and French-Guayana) is Georgetown. You have Cayenne for the French in the area.

mfG mitsho

For the argument that the cities in Northern Canada are too small to be represented in Civ, I present the question; When London was founded, was it a metropolis? How about New York? The other cities in Canada sure didn't start out big. They started out as tiny little towns. They eventually grew, but they've been around for much longer and are in much better places then say, Whitehorse or Yellowknife. The cities are still growing. in the year 2050, they will probably have at least doubled in population. I have no idea as to how fast they are growing though, so that is probably an extremely inaccurate guess, I only know that they are growing. But the point I'm trying to make is that everything starts somewhere. If you want to do things the way that "only big cities should be in this", then you would have to make them start out at the size that they are today, since they were NOT big cities when they wre first built. Growth takes place over a long period of time, and these cities haven't been around long enough to grow all that much, but they will.

Edit: Plus, I don't see the point in leaving a huge region empty because the settlements up there aren't massive cities. Crap, I meant to put this in my last post.:mischief:

Top Bottom