City never grows?

Xiao Xiong

Prince
I was so happy when I found the barrier reef a short distance from my capital. Planted a city there, within reach of both tiles. Purchased the first tile and started working it, waited for my city to grow.

Some turns later I notice that city is still sitting at 1 pop, with positive food production, and reports that it will grow to 2 in 1 turn. But next turn, same thing--no growth. Turn after turn it is sitting there at 1 pop, scheduled to grow to 2 in 1 turn.

Well this is really pissing me off because I really want that other barrier reef tile!

Obviously it is some bug. Anybody know a workaround? Is there anything I can do to restart growth on that city? Or do I just have to write it off for the game?

(In case it matters, it's G&K)

There's an "Avoid Growth" checkbox on the city screen, make sure that isn't checked.

Are you sure you didn't check "Avoid Growth" on the right side of the city screen? I once did this in an ICS game as the Mayans and was actually mad that my cities weren't growing while it said it would take one turn, turned out it was the Avoid Growth checked.

Are you sure you didn't check "Avoid Growth" on the right side of the city screen? I once did this in an ICS game as the Mayans and was actually mad that my cities weren't growing while it said it would take one turn, turned out it was the Avoid Growth checked.

Duh, that was it. Boy do I feel dumb.

I turned it on when I got DOW'd and sold resources down to minus 9 happy. First time I used it and I misunderstood what it did. I thought it would prevent the city manager from assigning workers to food tiles and keep the city in stagnation. I do assign most workers myself but let the city manager run a few if I don't yet have a good tile to work (i.e. in case i forget to move them when the border pops to a better tile).

Did not realize it actually prevents growth even when there is a positive food balance.

Learned something though! That is useful, often I am afraid to sell down to -9 because one growth in any city incurs a big combat penalty, but in this case I really really needed to buy a wall or Gandhiji would have rolled me.

Top Bottom