City Placement Guide

Llama231

Warlord
I have found this to be one of the most pressing questions in RFC, so I think that having some sort of guide-list thing would be really helpful. I will start it off with a few of mine, but I need the help of all you crazy-good people to fill it out and polish it. :)
Also, NO SQUATTING! It, sadly, is gone. :'(

Egypt: Depends on the goal, I prefer 1N of the starting location, or Pi-Ramses, and then wing it from there.
India: :confused:
China: Beijing or on the coast?
Babylon: Babylon sucks, Assur and Akkad are much better, depending on your plans.
Greece: 1SW of Athens and Constantinople 1W (Which is good as your capital.)
Persia: Capital 1S to work with Sush, but the second is a problem.
Carthage: Eeew. Most cities here just suck.
Rome: Rome, a city in the south (Pompeii or Sicily?), and a city in Yugoslavia (unless you want to wait for Germany to spawn and settle Budapest/Zagreb).
Japan: Edo, Hiroshima, or the hill on the SE coast, and Edo.
Ethiopia: Axsum and :confused:
Maya: Ditch central America completely, or Takal and a city in Mexico. Possibly 1W to get the canal.

Vikings: I like Kalmar (capital) Lulea, and Kiev (after Russia spawns) but I rarely know what I am doing. :/
Arabia: It is too bad that the UP makes settled cities kind of suck. Though Mecca and Baghdad can work.
Khmer: Umm... On the sugar and Hanoi? Jakarta too? :confused:
Spain: Dunno
France: Amiens is cool, but the Dutch are annoying. Raze Frankfurt and settle 1N after Germany spawns. Crush the Dutch brutally before the make your best city useless.
England: TOO MANY SETTLERS!!!!!! O.O Run away to Kiev and Budapest?
Germany: Frankfurt=capital (Too bad not 1N), Danzig, Budapest, and Kiev. Watch the world crumble to some of the best cities in the game.
Russia: Moscow, Ryazan or SE on the cow, Kiev, Riga (if you can) or Novograd, and (if Moscow, then Stravpol area;if not, then Tjumen off in Siberia). However, if you can get Budapest, it si to be prioritized over all but the capital and Kiev.
Dutch: Amsterdam and :confused:
Mali: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA U FUNNEH
Portugal: Lisbon and Azores v. whatever?
Inca: IDK
Mongols: I should probably play as them more than twice, but 1NE is pretty cool. Or raze China and settle the cities correctly.
Aztecs: 1NE and something else. Maybe go into the ES area?
Turkey: Screw Sogut, grab Constantinople on the first turn. Kiev, Budapest, and Baghdad are cool cities to settle if you can.
America: Philadelphia, Chicago, and Denver provide the optimum core cities, but due to the stupid Europeans, you will have do deal with less optimum cities like New York and Detroit. New Orleans is usually good too. California and Oregon can be useful eventually. The funny part is that you basically have a half-empty Europe to settle however you want, so yeah.

In Spain, you should settle where you spawn.

I disagree, Sire. We should build more barra- I mean, it's better not to found Madrid, as it makes all coastal cities nigh useless, and you need good coastal cities to use your seafood and produce the necessary ships for colonising. I usually go with Barcelona, Santander and Sevilla.

I disagree, Sire. We should build more barra- I mean, it's better not to found Madrid, as it makes all coastal cities nigh useless, and you need good coastal cities to use your seafood and produce the necessary ships for colonising. I usually go with Barcelona, Santander and Sevilla.
Does this change if you want to take over Lisboa?

Regarding Rome, Arretium (1NE) is better than Rome, higher pop, higher production, and really doesn't compete with Mediolanum and more than Rome does, and means that Pompeii isn't stifled

Big Post Incoming

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion.
This is assuming no UHV.

Egypt: Niwt-Rst and Pi-Ramesses (1W of Wheat.) are good. After that Selima (1N of Cotton.) might be a good idea.

India: Found Delhi 1SE of start position. I usually found Takshashila (1N of Marble.), Dhaka (1N of Bananas.), Pitikapuram (1W of Fish.) and Cochin (1SW of southern Spices.).

China: Beijing in place. After that Shanghai (1N of Rice.), Guangzhou (1S of Bananas.) and Chongqing (1S of western Rice.).

Babylon: I like to settle Ninua 1S of the lake.

Greece: Athens in place. Epidamnos (1S of Copper.) and Byzantion (In its usual place.).

Persia: Found Sirajis (1S of start.). You'll want a city to take the Horses, and IMO, Phrada (1SW of Horses.) is the one that sucks the less.

Carthage: Qart-Hadasht is the best city around. After that Rusadir (1N of the Moroccan Horses.) and Barca (1W of Egyptian Dye.).

Rome: Since you can't raze Mediolanum, Roma is the best city in Italy. Found Pompeii (1N of Sheep.). A city on the Dalmatian Coast is possible, but not recommended.

Japan: Edo (1E of Pigs.), Matsumoto (2E of Incense.), Chuncheon (1E of the Deer in Korea.) and Sapporo (1N of Dye.) to grab the northern ressources.

Ethiopia: Aksum in place is pretty good. You could also move 1N for coastal access and Gold. For the second city, it's probably best to go for Nubia.

Maya: Oaxaca (1W of Wheat.) is the best city around that isn't in Aztec lands. Be prepared to wipe out the Aztecs, though. Olximché (1S of Silver.) for second city. You can found Chicken Pizza (1N of Dye.) after if you want :D.

Viking: The best capitol around that don't require to move for a lot of turns is Sundsvall 1E of Deer. After that, found Kalmar (1SW of Fish.), Lulea (1S of Copper.) and Oslo (2S of Silver.).

Arabia: Found Mecca. Conquer. :hammer:. If you start in 600 A.D., found Baghdad.

Khmer: Found Pnomh Penh (On the Sugar.), Hanoi (1NW of Pigs.) and Jayakarta (1W of Spice.).

Spain: Found Càdiz (1SW of Wine.), Barcelona (1NE of Silver.) and Santander (1NW of Iron.). In 600 A.D. start, raze Bordeaux and Marseille. Wipe out Portugal 10 turns after they appear :hammer:.

France: Amiens (1NE of Start.) is one of the best cities in RFC. Seriously. (I'm not biaised at all.:p) It's only (very slight) problem, is that the Dutch spawn so close. Same strategy as with Spain against Portugal :hammer:. Also, Bordeaux and Marseille are good. Found Francfort (1NE of Stone.) Two (Or is that three?) turns after Germany spawn.

England: Nottingham (1N of Start.) is better than London+Manchester+Plymouth. Keep Inverness and found Dublin. Keep the settlers to found colonies later.

Germany: Found Stettin (1NE of Start.), Budapest (1S of Deer.), Riga (1W of Fish.), Frankfurt (If necessary.), Kiev (Time is short to get to it though.) and, if you want, Hamburg (2S of Pigs.). (Edit: Danzig is probably better. 1E of Stettin.)

Russia: It's probably best to found Ryazan (1S of Start.). Found Kiev (1W of Wheat.), Riga (If you can, else Talinn, 1NE of Riga.), after that I don't really know.

Netherlands: Amsterdam.(Not like you have the choice.) The second settler could go to South Africa (Durban, on the gold.)

Mali: Ouch. Crappy Land. Found Timbuktu 1S, Daloa 1W of the western Gems, and Accra 1NW of the Crab. Go to the Mediterranean, if you can.

Portugal: Lisbon in place. Don't settle the Azores, not worth it, IMO. Send the second settler to North Africa. (Tunis or Oran are good.).

Inca: Settle Nazca (2W of Start.), Ariqipaya (1SE of Stone.), take Tucume, settle Quitu (1W of Gold.).

Mongols: Hmmm. Settle in place and go :hammer: China?

Aztec: Move 1NE to Tlaxcala. Found Coyuca (1N of Deer.), and Oaxaca (Between Wheat and Stone.).

Turkey: Take Constantinople (Build it if it isn't there.) Found Sinop (1NE of Marble.) and Budapest. You'll conquer most of your cities anyway.

America: It's most of the time a good idea not to found Washington. For the rest it depends on the situation. New Orleans, Chicago/Detroit and Denver are must-haves.

Whew... Finished.

And forgive me for my very lame joke. ;)

France: Amiens (1NE of Start.) is one of the best cities in RFC. Seriously. (I'm not biaised at all.:p) It's only (very slight) problem, is that the Dutch spawn so close. Same strategy as with Spain against Portugal :hammer:. Also, Bordeaux and Marseille are good. Found Francfort (1NE of Stone.) Two (Or is that three?) turns after Germany spawn.

Not enough time for a full response to this great post, but I wanted to add that Amiens can have the highest population of any city on the map.
And the Frankfurt 1N of that Frankfurt is much better.
By themselves, those two are some of the best cities in the game, but they do share half of their tiles or so. :/

Not enough time for a full response to this great post, but I wanted to add that Amiens can have the highest population of any city on the map.

Amiens isn't the biggest spot. Michigan (or whatever) in Midwest US is even bigger, I have achieved over 50 pop with it (check thread: A Billion people challenge).

Civ2 References WTF!
Best civ ever for cult factor. The German translation even adds extra awesome. "Germany captures the Great Wall" got translated to "Germans to arrest Great Wall", for example :D

Actually, Mali should NOT found Timbuktu on site. You want to maximize the use of all those floodplains, and when the plague strikes, if you found on site, there's no way your smaller capital can work all those tiles. Which means that you need at least 2 cities, so Timbuktu slightly to the west, and another city to the east (Wagadugu), even if they overlap a little.

Carthage: Qart-Hadasht is the best city around. After that Rusadir (1N of the Moroccan Horses.) and Barca (1W of Egyptian Dye.).

No, Rome is the best city around. :lol:

Amiens isn't the biggest spot. Michigan (or whatever) in Midwest US is even bigger, I have achieved over 50 pop with it (check thread: A Billion people challenge).

Really? I thought that Amiens was the highest with 43 or something. O.o I need to go look this up.

Edit: Amiens is the highest with 43 (86). The highest city around the Great Lakes is 42 (84). Maybe you had some great merchants or something?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9775412&postcount=85

I can not find it... :(
Where is it relative to the 84,83,82?

Best civ ever for cult factor. The German translation even adds extra awesome. "Germany captures the Great Wall" got translated to "Germans to arrest Great Wall", for example :D

That's great. :lol:

I actually still play civ2. It's a timeless classic.

Of course I meant that Qart-Hadasht is the best city around for the pacific sissies. :mischief:

If you don't found any other cities until after the flip, you don't end up having to give Rome up. Of course they'll declare war sooner or later, but you'll be ready by then. And they'll just collapse with pressure coming from up north--essentially they are your shield against barbs.

Top Bottom