City Placement Guide

If you don't found any other cities until after the flip, you don't end up having to give Rome up. Of course they'll declare war sooner or later, but you'll be ready by then. And they'll just collapse with pressure coming from up north--essentially they are your shield against barbs.

This does not work for m because the always get warped to Sicily, where their culture annoys Rome and whatever North African cities I have, and the northern mess kill me instead. x.x

Japan: Edo (1E of Pigs.), Matsumoto (2E of Incense.), Chuncheon (1E of the Deer in Korea.) and Sapporo (1N of Dye.) to grab the northern ressources.
Why not Edo 1NE of Pigs? Less overlap and you'll get the northern resources with culture.
Spain: Found Càdiz (1SW of Wine.), Barcelona (1NE of Silver.) and Santander (1NW of Iron.). In 600 A.D. start, raze Bordeaux and Marseille. Wipe out Portugal 10 turns after they appear :hammer:.
I prefer the following cities in Iberia: Lisboa as capitol when the Portuguese leave it, Santander 1NW of Iron, Barcelona 2S of Horse, Granada 1S of Sheep.
Amiens is the highest with 43 (86).
You might also want to check out Tours on Uranium. If you just farm or windmill everything except the pigs, you get 89 :food: with Biology & Supermarket, or 90 :food: if you WB a harbor.:nono:

Alright, according to the map, it seems that the horse one is 84, and Tours is 85. I would expect that Amiens, being 86, would have the highest potential population unless the map is wrong.

Am I reading that right? 273,000,000 people living in that city? How has it not descended into anarchy with that many inhabitants?

Any way, having just finished the Incan UHV, I can say that Nazca (1 SW of Qusqu) is an infinitely better choice for a capital. Ariqipaya or whatever on the stone works, but could be better 1 S or SE (forget which). Quitu isn't bad, and once you contact the Europeans, Montevideo is a great city. You may want to settle Rio de Janeiro, too.

Alright, according to the map, it seems that the horse one is 84, and Tours is 85. I would expect that Amiens, being 86, would have the highest potential population unless the map is wrong.

The map includes a health adjustment for not having lighthouses, which is more relevant to getting 1 billion people as soon as possible than it is figuring out which individual city site can get the most people. With just raw food totals and no lighthouse and fresh water adjustments, Tours should be the highest.

The map isn't 100% accurate. If you calculate the 'raw' food in the picture that I put up, you'll see that it gets 87.

China:

1. Beijing 1E to the coast - coastal wonders. Not along rivers but you'd be far advanced when you get steam power and it won't matter much.
2. Pyongyang on pig.
3. Hangzhou
4. Kill and raze Japs, settle Matsuyama(2E of incense) and Jianghu(Edo 1N, catch silver, copper, iron and fish, rice, pig, silk).
5. Taipei (for DoC modmod, 1 more hill. Less production but you get +100% trade route yield first)
6. Guangzhou
7. Luoyang
8. Jayakarta or go conquer a Indian city (to fetch gems)
9. Go America
10. Kill Mongol, settle 1E of their spawn point if you like.
11. Changchun or Qiqihaer after 1600 - 13+ forsest, national park site.

As Spain:

Build Zaragoza as your capital (1E of the sheep, 1N of the silver), it grows nicely, sits on the river and catches the Iron.

Build Santiago 2N of Lisbon, and Cadiz 1W of Seville.

They aren't brilliant spots by themselves, but once you wipe Portugal off the map (a priority is to be made of this) Cadiz and Santiago will split Portugal's resources between them. I had a size 25 Santiago after I got most of Spain's historical colonies + luxury resources +markets/grocers. Not too shabby of production either, since Cadiz sits on plains (makes up for the river production bonus) and Santiago sits on river with plenty of river/hills for the levees to do their magic.

That's my Spain set up too. covers all of Spain except a couple of hills Bordeaux uses and if you burn Marseilles before France spawn you get minimal close borders diplo-penalty.

I usually burn Marseilles and culture bomb Rome to link Italy with the rest of Spain. Never done the "early warpath" thing and razed Bordeaux & Marseilles before the French spawn though.

I'd also like to point out that the French have some horrid city placement. In a game as England they had Bordeaux and Cherbourg (pretty terrible city) and I guess to make use of that extra fish, they settled Brest.

Three cities (four if you include Paris) within one tile of one another. Yeah.

For India, I have had good results with the following city layout:
- Lahore (capital); 1 NE of the marble
- Patna; 1 N of the Bengali dye
- Bhopal; on top of the iron (maybe not the best site in terms of fat cross yield, but it makes protecting the iron from elephants early on very easy)
- Pitikapuram; 1 W of the fish off the southeast coast. This grows ridiculously large and is probably the best port site on the subcontinent.
- Cochin; 1 SW of the spices in southern India
- Mumbai; 2 W of the cotton - this site is a little crowded with Bhopal so close but you might as well use the coast... corn also appears in this area later on I think, which helps negate the crowding. I usually leave this one until last even though the site is fairly close to your spawn.

I managed to get the UHV using these, although I also wound up taking out Persia during an advantageous period of plague.

The only capitals I move are the egyptian one, 1N, since the real capital in my own vision should be Memphis (I also of course rename Thebes to Memphis) and because 1N is a better location, and the scandinavian one to Stockholm, because it's more fun than the lonely Nidaros.

Just so I'm absolutely certain, where is the best Denver? Is it on the oil?

I'm playing that Civilizations in Abundance modmod with the Native Americans and I've founded Chicago as my capital, and Denver as a production city (used WB to find the oil), and New Orleans. I wanna ultimately invade France, reduce all it's cities to rubble, and found Tours for a megacity in the Honkey Homeland :mischief:

Top Bottom