Civ 1 ports comparison

Another avenue of research opens up, cheats! CivNet also has a wacky cheat menu listed on the cheat sites and this one is actually real. Move all of your units so the 'end turn' button is flashing then type aodbamf to add an 'Extras' menu to the menu bar, containing all sorts of mad options.

FYI this didn't work for me, so I looked up the CivNET cheat menu trick online and noticed that they say you need to have caps lock on and also tap (but not hold) Ctrl before typing aodbamf. That worked for me!

Last edited:
Indeed it seems CTRL is required (but capslock isn't?).

Just to note I've thrown up a first beta of CivNet DOS tileset for people to have a look at

Indeed it seems CTRL is required (but capslock isn't?).
Ah yes capslock was not needed after all. Have updated my post.

Just to note I've thrown up a first beta of CivNet DOS tileset for people to have a look at
Awesome I'll go look now!

Fantastic! Will look forward to further progress with great anticipation. The only thing that's a bummer with CivNet is that it plays music from CD only; when I play it in a VM I get no music even with the disc inserted because the VM doesn't see RedBook audio. CivWin doesn't have that problem, though the sound is a lot more glitchy. CivNet is a lot more like Civ II with its quirks than the other versions of Civ I, from what I gather.
This program I just found out about might interest you as it just might end CD reliance for CivNET music.

Bit of a longshot but does anyone have a SNES civ save where you've revealed all the map and built most of the units / improvements? I fancy having another crack at doing SNES graphics on the windows port, I've got the ripped graphics but my memory is hazy and for some of it I'm struggling to remember what the graphics are meant to represent. It's a slow old game with no cheat codes so don't relish playing through to end game myself if I can help it!

Bit of a longshot but does anyone have a SNES civ save where you've revealed all the map and built most of the units / improvements? I fancy having another crack at doing SNES graphics on the windows port, I've got the ripped graphics but my memory is hazy and for some of it I'm struggling to remember what the graphics are meant to represent. It's a slow old game with no cheat codes so don't relish playing through to end game myself if I can help it!
OMG that would be epic!

I have a save from like 20+ years ago. I haven't revealed all the map but I'd gotten a fair way through techs I think and was building riflemen and researching flight. The saves are from the Zsnes emulator however I’ve just loaded one and saved using the game’s own internal save function creating an srm file that should work in other emulators if put in the right place so I’ll give you both! :)

Attachments

• CivSnesSaveGames.7z
    68.8 KB · Views: 15
Thanks :) I was able to use some action replay codes to reveal the map (by giving my settler a million moves in a single turn), but this'll be a massive help when I try and do the building icons (which I would like to get in there).

For the record I have started this project here.

I had a little look at the Amiga music because someone asked about it on Discord (admittedly 6 months ago but it piqued my interest). Unlike DOS which uses raw sound commands in the various drivers, the Amiga music is stored in individual files which use the 'med' (aka mmd0) tracker format, which is one of the common Amiga tracker formats. What this means is much like the graphics you can swap it out for custom music easily, and play it back on any decent Amiga tracker player.

The files (at least in my copy) are compressed using the same compression as the graphics and can be decompressed using the same software I used for graphics above. By far the easiest way to play back the sound on windows is just to emulate the game using WinUAE and record the sound output. A lot of the windows players out there aren't accurate and seem to struggle with med files.

In recent weeks I have procured a scientific victory from the PC-98 port, albeit in an emulator.
The game accepts English text for the customizable text boxes (civ name, leader name, city names), so that helped me keep track of what was going on where. I'm not exactly fluent in Japanese (I know some, but not enough to play a game without the help of machine translation), but after enough playtime I could remember what series of characters corresponded to particular units and buildings.

I have attempted to mess around with the customizable text files in the PC-98 version to varying results - just like the DOS version, you can change some of the game's text by editing the .TXT files (e.g. KING.TXT, ERROR.TXT).

Text files do not appear correctly in modern (Windows) text editors - or at least in the ones I use. I presume this is a text encoding issue that would not appear in a native PC-98 text editor. I recently acquired a PC-9821V7 (released circa 1995), but I'm waiting on a keyboard and mouse to get shipped, so testing on the real thing will have to wait until they arrive.

Changing the evolution cutscene text to English mostly works. The corresponding file is stored with the same layout as the DOS version's STORY.TXT. To test, I just replaced the original Japanese intro text with the text of the DOS intro. The resulting intro generally appears just as in the DOS version (though with the differing intro graphics). However, some of the transplanted lines did not appear correctly, appearing as more of a blob of pixels, and without the "shadows" that normally appear in the English DOS intro.

(Of note: The Japanese script font used in the port does not have these "shadows" at all (whether in the intro cutscene or in-game), probably because trying to put shadows on kanji/kana would not look great or be all that readable in-game.)

The text located in most of the other files are organized differently in the PC-98 version compared to the DOS version. There's no apparent labels (e.g. *LABEL) - each text box is prepended by some sort of NUL character.
Trying to replace the Japanese text in KING.TXT did not work at all, some text would appear in the wrong place (e.g. the "You failed the copy protection / manual check / Civilization Quiz" text appearing in place of the "Congratulations, you are now the leader of [CIV NAME], here are your starting technologies" text), while other text would run off the edge of the screen.

Some other files produced mixed results. In particular, some of the ERROR.TXT strings did appear correctly when replaced with English, while others did not.

After some testing, it appeared as if these messages are expected to be a specific length - if they are not, the text appears incorrectly. The encoding difference may have also been causing troubles.

(Random note: Some of the screens, particularly the opinion advisor and the spaceship screen, have text that runs into other screen elements, or off the screen edge, if your custom civ/leader/city names are too long.)

As long as your text editor supports shift_JIS encoding you should be ok. But yeah, without being able to modify the game code, strings will need to match their original length. Either by padding them or shortening words to squeeze them in. Without hacking the EXE it'll never be perfect, but that's no reason not to try. Good luck with your hacking! I had good fun messing with that version, it looks completely unique, no other Civ version has used that graphics set.

EDIT - A technique along these lines is what I would try

The most difficult part there is that without any PC98 tools, some very dedicated individual is going to have to provide me with a save (or saves) with every unit, terrain piece and overlay on the map so I can crib all the graphics! I'd love to do it, the look is quite unique.

1712145087092.png

Cheeky preview of the first couple of units. I just wanted to show that the conversion itself is easy. This does not mean it's happening anytime soon! 🙃

If you have an HDI of the game for use in an emulator, you can use a program named DiskExp to access the files inside that hard disk image. I have some saved at varying levels of completion, I'll send over my completed save once I'm at my computer.

Unfortunately, the data is compressed, and not in the same way as DOS or Windows Civ, so unless there are some PC98 specific tools that can help, then it would have to be done by screenshotting. I have discovered that my copy has a disc full of random saves so I do actually have quite a lot to work with already :)

Translated text, mostly: To defend our cities we should build a [Musketman] and We should build a [Caravan] to trade with others.
1712174338782.png

So once I figured out the length problem, text works nice and easy! Sort of. Some of the diplomatic text seems to be missing from KING.TXT.
For some reason the PC-98 port has a weird layering bug (not shown in these screenshots) where the "What do you want to produce" box appears on top of the advice boxes if the former box becomes too lengthy.

What I might do as a compromise for a windows mod is reuse the existing DOS tileset but change the palette to match pc98. Pc98 terrain is basically the dos terrain with a bit of dithering. I don't think losing the dithering will make much difference to the overall look.

Then the only stuff that needs to be screenshotted are the units and overlays which simplifies things

Top Bottom