Votes: 99 22.8%
  • Nubia

Votes: 62 14.3%
  • Other (please tell)

Votes: 70 16.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You got the wrong meaning out of what I said. I do recongize the Vikings as brilliant sailors and merchants, as well as ruthless warriors. My point is that there is greater Civs out there that had a better influence that should be recongized before the Vikings. The Vikings missed a true civil and organized society that others had, but I do believe that they should be a civ, but after some others come out. What I said as "petty Barbarians" was a matter of my opinion. I am just not too fond the Vikings.

The problem is that this kind of thread usually comes down to a "What civs are the most well recognized" thread, not a "What civ deserves credit as a major contributor to mankind"? I'd argue Sumeria fulfills "major contributor" status but not "Popular comic book civ ala Vikings".

In addition to the points previously mentioned regarding Vikings/Norse it would be remiss to ignore their contributions in eastern Europe, particularly the norse who became part of the Rus people and the Varangian Guard, one of the Eastern Roman Empire's most elite and trusted fighting units.
It really is a disservice to consider them uncivilised barbarians.

Only one real comment on the Vikings debate;

The word "law" comes from Old Norse. Is that civilized enough?

As to expansion pack stuff and extra civilizations.... I don't really mind what they are called; it could be the Purple People Eaters for all I care, but I'd like to see meaningful differences between Civs that can be distinguished through diplomacy. Oh, and fix the broken stuff, but tat's another debate... ;)

I put other, because recently I have been reading about the Maori of New Zealand, and they were serious @$$ kickers. 230 Maori warriors defeated 1700 British Imperial forces in the battle of gate pa, how can you say no to that?

And of course, now civ game is complete without vikings, without whom western europe would not be like it is today.

Vikings may have lacked what other civs may call culture, but what about icelandic sagas? Stone carvings? Do those lack culture? Anyway, they will definately be in the first civ xp because I know for a fact that the creators had them already for civ v and then replaced them in order to fit some new civs in. So theyre just sitting theyre with all their stuff ready waiting to be released.

Vikings are of course a necessity, as are celts. Leaders should be ivar the boneless and vercingetorix. I think spain should be in, not that i would ever play as it, just so i can beat it up. Dutch, portugal, prussia, all important. (i dont think anyone else said prussia yet) But what I would really like to see are the Maori, tribal aboriginees of new zealand, in 1864 230 maori defeated 1700 british imperial forces, it was massacre. The maori are essentially the vikings of polynesia.

Also, if more leaders are added, Julian the Apostate should get to be in it, he was a Roman Emperor who could be considered the last truly great emperor, if he hadnt died in battle rome might have been a lot more succesful in the end. He also tried to resurrect paganism.

Oh, that reminds me, i dont have civ v yet, but if its got religions, they should add in paganism, im tired of always having buddhism or taoism, and ill die before i take christianity or islam.

I protest.

Why are the Soren Johnsonites not on this list?

I think they should definitely add the Dutch and Portugal, they were large parts of early exploratory history. A few more African Civs, like the Zulus and Carthage would be good. Maybe one more asian one, I personally think Korea would be pretty good. Who knows? Maybe even the Mayans and Sioux. Who knows?

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions and locked (given it's very out of date). Feel free to discuss in this more current thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom