Civ 5 in Div X settings will not launch in Fullscreen

ScottUK

Chieftain
This is a fairly common problem and there are various posts and suggested fixes to the problem scattered around the internet. I literally bought my PC to play Civ 5 and I cannot for the life of me get it to launch in fullscreen mode using Div X. It used to when I first installed from Steam, and I am 99% sure the source of the problem is my resolution settings. I found a random post that posted the native resolution for Civ, changed it, and managed to get the game running in full screen once again, but it has reverted back. Can someone please post the native resolution for Civ 5 that they are running on fullscreen (preferably on a 720p TV). I have the problem that it launches, but when I try to change in game all the options in the video section are missing (ie relating to quality) and selecting full screen just keeps the game in window. I have spent ages trying to figure this out. Running windows 7 with Samsung 720p HD TV, Radeon 7700 Graphics card 8 gb of RAM. Have tried messing with the log (you know, the notepad thingy; recent convert back to PC from Mac) to change to full screen, but doesn't work. As say, have fixed before by changing resolution so sure that is the problem. Thanks in advance.

I would try looking in the ATI program and check to see if it is allowing steam and Civ5 direct access or not. Not the drivers but the actual software that customizes the Radeon 7700.

Thanks for the reply Tim. Just having to play on Direct X9. Can't understand it. It seems like such a simple issue that I don't have with any other games. Frustrating thing is, I thought I had solved it by changing the resolution in Windows 7. Much joy. Then it reverts back and I cannot find the post with the fix (it was buried deep in my google search). Oh well. £350 well spent on a half decent PC to only be able to play the game in Direct X9! lol

Don't really know how to apply your suggested fix. Still getting to grips with my PC after spending years away on Mac. Oh but the games are so cheap on PC. CHEAP!!!!

Are you changing the resolution in the game, in the default windows settings, or using ATI Catalyst? If you open Catalyst, there will be an overwhelming array of options. I use Nvidea so cannot do much in trying to figure out where to go in Catalyst. If catalyst is correctly installed and running, there should be some option in there that allows steam and the game itself to have direct access to the hardware. It may even have a setting to let directx have it also. For some reason this may have been changed and that is what is giving you issues. Hope this helps.

You cannot change any video setting while in game. You can only change them before launching a game. No one can do that.

Just an update. I purchased a new TV. it is 1080p. My last one was 720. The game now opens in Full Screen as it should. The problem was the 720 screen it would seem. Strange. Thanks for the help. If you are having this a similar problem, I advise buying a new television

Top Bottom