Civ 5: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Civ 5: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

• Thumbs Up (I’ve played the game)

Votes: 432 53.6%
  • Thumbs Up (I have not played the game)

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Meh… (I’ve played the game)

Votes: 137 17.0%
  • Meh… (I have not played the game)

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Thumbs Down (I’ve played the game)

Votes: 180 22.3%
  • Thumbs Down (I have not played the game)

Votes: 21 2.6%

• Total voters
This poll is pretty telling, considering the amount of negative threads there were floating around yesterday. Were they all written by the same guy or something? :p

This is precisely why I posted this poll – to show that there is indeed a very large silent majority out there and that the haters are only a small proportion of the audience (on this forum at least!)…

I for one have changed my mind. I was obviously very enthused about Civ 5... I'm sure we all were... and then I was very disappointed with it when I first started playing it...

But then... I turned all the graphics settings way down (except the water... so purty) and started a game on a Duel sized map. The game still runs annoyingly slow, but its just barely fast enough to actually play the game... My problem really was my computer:badcomp:, not the game. Civ 4 ran great, but I guess time just marches on.:(

So now that I have been able to actually play "properly," I have changed my opinion 180 degrees. I cant wait until I have a legitimate excuse to get a new computer:mischief: (maybe Christmas:xmascheers:... who knows:dunno:). The new combat system alone is worth it. Its super-duper fun. I love the way the armies scream their battle cries as they rush the other army.:clap: And even though the "leaderheads" dont move with the settings all the way down, they talk!...in their native tongue!... so thats a cool tradeoff.

I am glad to see that the people screaming are simply posting repeatedly, and that it is not as hated as the forums would imply...

I LOVE CiV

Those who hate CiV are trying so damn hard to undermine everything that has to do with it.
Those who love CiV are too busy playing it to defend it.

agreed.

It's how game forums are these days . No matter how great a game is there's a certain type of angry person who hangs round the forums doing everything they can to put a game down , god knows why they keep talking about a game they hate . Strangely though you will find they also play the game for hundreds of hours whie moaning.

There are alot of legitamate problems that need fixing , some nasty bugs that need fixing , and multiplayer i wont even start on. Overall though im really enjoying CIV5 , great game.

This is precisely why I posted this poll – to show that there is indeed a very large silent majority out there and that the haters are only a small proportion of the audience (on this forum at least!)…
That is notable, but one-third of this site is apparently displeased with half of that group being strongly displeased. We'd have to compare this to a poll from a similar time after IV was released, but I'd venture a bet that this is worse than the franchise is used to experiencing.

After a week I'm leaning more from meh to thumbs down.

Again if you're enjoying it more power to you.

The empire building portion of the game which I played the series for was "streamlined" in favour of warfare which seemed like an unnessary move given the number of real wargames already available.

But the tradgedy is that while the Tactical side of combat has long overdue changes to give it some depth and make it less tedious than previous Civ games, because of the changes to the empire building side and diplomacy the Operational and Strategic sides of warfare have become much more shallow.

There's no point anymore in fighting a limited war since if you have the stregth to defeat his field army there's nothing your opponent can do to stop you from conquering his whole civ. And given the irrationality of the AI there's no point in showing him mercy. The days of limited wars over border cities or resources are gone.

I started with thumbs up but after a couple of hours it quickly became "meh". And still at meh now , i'm pleased in certain aspects but displeased in others . But if there aren't patches released soon to fix bugs and broken concepts the meh will quickly become a thumbs down

I love it, but I would recommend people not already hooked to wait. The game should come down in price (or just get a free DLC bundle) by January, and at that point they should have fixed some of the really goofy things.

That is notable, but one-third of this site is apparently displeased with half of that group being strongly displeased. We'd have to compare this to a poll from a similar time after IV was released, but I'd venture a bet that this is worse than the franchise is used to experiencing.

It would also be interesting to redo this poll after christmas when the changes have "grown" on some people and the novelty has worn off of others and see where the balance is then.

There's no point anymore in fighting a limited war since if you have the stregth to defeat his field army there's nothing your opponent can do to stop you from conquering his whole civ. And given the irrationality of the AI there's no point in showing him mercy. The days of limited wars over border cities or resources are gone.

I always felt that way about any Civ game, by the time I defeat the field army, I can roll over whoever I attack. Yes, I still have to take the cities, but that is just a matter of time. By then I pump out troops faster than they get killed, so I just keep rolling.

The only thing delaying this that I also have to build defensive troops to protect the cities which delays further conquest (the assault troops always get replenished).

Other than that, I do not feel the diplomatic options are fewer. Yes, there still are some AI issues, but that is not the same as having fewer options.

Gotta be thumbs up

Yes, Civ 5 clearly has the worst graphics in the series, NOT.
Where'd you order your rose-coloured glasses from? The terrain is not animated, and follows no geological/atmospheric reason what so ever. The cities are just grey cubes that you can't zoom into, and since the zoom is limited, the screen needs to be squinted at to see any detail -whatever little of it there is. A big deal has been made of the leader graphics. Yeah, like I want to see a cartoony Alexander riding up to me on a horse in the year 2010...
Just typing NOT doesn't cut it. The tile, unit and ui graphics are all terrible. Their limited scope and lack of detail shouldn't even be that demanding, particularly on a gaming rig, which shows Civ5 wasn't even optimised.

yes there will be DLC, I am tired of the argument.
Try a five hour energy drink.
Why is it that DLC should be in the base game but expansions are ok ?
DLC's are noteably different from xpacs. Xpacs traditionally have offered extensive gameplay additions, and frequently a retouching of the engine itself. DLC's are used to drip feed limited content as a revenue stream.

Thumb totally sideways.:crazyeye:

Seems to me like Civ5 has some improvements, some steps backwards, some good ideas poorly implemented, some bugs. I'm currently torn between 4 and 5. 4 could do with somewhat less micromanagement, even when the bugs are fixed and AI improved, 5 will still have *something* lacking.

down for me unfortunately. played a few games at differnt settings. good for you guys who like the game. i wish i could too! never found the urge to play one more turn...

Thumbs up ALL THE WAY! Even if I can't see much of the improved graphics, but I still like it alot.

I'm going to have to say thumbs down. There are just too many issues, and I've found the core gameplay to be extremely boring, and I don't think any amount of patching can fix it. I would've voted Meh, until I tried multiplayer and found it to be buggy, broken, and stripped down.

Thumbs up it's a fun game. I have logged 24 hours playing so far so I have already played it longer than many other games I buy, play a few times and abandon.

In its present state? I'm between "meh" and one thumb up. There's some good groundwork but it needs a lot of ironing out.

After plenty of patching and an expansion or two? I've got high hopes it'll get a full two thumbs up from me. :)

Thumbs up for me too.

Happy with all the strategical decision Firaxis took when redesigning the game from scratch.

That being said, the game needs improvements as anyone would agree, especially in the AI and multiplayer department.

Top Bottom