civ colour scheme Mod

Futumch

Calm as a Coma
This thread was moved here from Civ 6 General Discussion, part of a thread relating to people having difficulty seeing China's trade routes against many of the terrain colours.
My suggestions (below) were never intended to be taken as a fully fledged mod, they are simply a quick and dirty fix for someone on these boards.

Thanks. Thread continues below.

If you want to -change- China's colours:
There's hard declarations of RGBA colours for China in the "colors.xml" file in the path "Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\".
You need to look down to about line 1258 to 1278 for China's primary and secondary colour definitions.

If you want to -swap- China's colours:
(Assuming you haven't changed them as above)
You need to look in the file "PlayerColors.xml" in the same path as above.
Go down to line 265, where the declarations are for Qin.
I'd just swap them around, change COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_PRIMARY to COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_SECONDARY, and then again on the next line down change the secondary colour to primary.
NOTE: I would be hesitant to do this without changing his text colour to black. White on white is notoriously difficult to read.

edited xml snippet below:
Code:
<Row>
           <Type>LEADER_QIN</Type>
           <Usage>Unique</Usage>
           <PrimaryColor>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_SECONDARY</PrimaryColor>
           <SecondaryColor>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_PRIMARY</SecondaryColor>
           <TextColor>COLOR_ALTCIV_DARKGRAY</TextColor>
</Row>

Last edited:
If you want to -change- China's colours:
There's hard declarations of RGBA colours for China in the "colors.xml" file in the path "Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data\".
You need to look down to about line 1258 to 1278 for China's primary and secondary colour definitions.

If you want to -swap- China's colours:
(Assuming you haven't changed them as above)
You need to look in the file "PlayerColors.xml" in the same path as above.
Go down to line 265, where the declarations are for Qin.
I'd just swap them around, change COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_PRIMARY to COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_SECONDARY, and then again on the next line down change the secondary colour to primary.
NOTE: I would be hesitant to do this without changing his text colour to black. White on white is notoriously difficult to read.

edited xml snippet below:
Code:
<Row>
           <Type>LEADER_QIN</Type>
           <Usage>Unique</Usage>
           <PrimaryColor>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_SECONDARY</PrimaryColor>
           <SecondaryColor>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_PRIMARY</SecondaryColor>
           <TextColor>COLOR_ALTCIV_DARKGRAY</TextColor>
</Row>

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Actually the file is the Colors.xml file in the same path you posted. I then swapped the "SECONDARY" and "PRIMARY" in the code. Thanks again!

Code:
    <Type>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_SECONDARY</Type>
            <Red>0.4901</Red>
            <Green>0.5882</Green>
            <Blue>0.2352</Blue>
            <Alpha>1</Alpha>
        </Row>
        <Row>
            <Type>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_PRIMARY</Type>
            <Red>1</Red>
            <Green>1</Green>
            <Blue>1</Blue>
            <Alpha>1</Alpha>
        </Row>

This is what it looks like after the swap. Exactly what I wanted!

Ended up settling on the white background and Egypt's dark sea green for more contrast against the white. I think this is how Fireaxis should have had it to begin with!

Code:
Code:
            <Type>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_SECONDARY</Type>
            <Red>0.08235</Red>
            <Green>0.3411</Green>
            <Blue>0.37647</Blue>
            <Alpha>1</Alpha>
        </Row>
        <Row>
            <Type>COLOR_PLAYER_CHINA_PRIMARY</Type>
            <Red>1</Red>
            <Green>1</Green>
            <Blue>1</Blue>
            <Alpha>1</Alpha>

I am hoping one of you adjusts all the colors in the game. Civ colors don't stand out well against the terrain at times. Oceans tint or hue is off slightly, it doesn't look as it should or could look at least. I recall the Blue Marble Project, Snoopy I think his name was. Outstanding work wish he still was in the modding community.

http://i.imgur.com/RvBpejy.jpg
Default colours. For the purposes of visibility they're pretty good on the whole, but I could see Aztecs / India clashing, also Egypt / Arabia and Sumeria / Norway.

It's easy enough to fiddle around with these colours, but just remember to save your original file somewhere safe in case you mess stuff up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom