CIV III on Vista

xzurant

Chieftain
Hi,

I just got a new Sony Vaio laptop with Vista on it, and when I installed Civ 3 on in, it didnt work, so I changed it settings to SP2 and run as administrator and then it started working. Then a few days later, it just stoped working, and just like that other post titled "CIV III vs Vista" by danside0608, a screen came up and said that "CIV3 HAS STOPPED WORKING -CHECK ONLINE FOR A SOLUTION AND CLOSE THE PROGRAM or -CLOSE THE PROGRAM". But danside0608 said that his solution was to start CIV 3 when he turns on the computer. I did the same thing and it doesnt work for me. I also did the other methods which other people suggested on that post but CIV 3 never worked. Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem?

Thank You.

Ha i have a related problem. Civ3 wont even run on my Vista or i may have messed it up o.O ure not alone

No, it just says close program after. Anyways, its good to know that im not the only one with the problem so i wont think that my computer or the CD is messed up. Anyways, I just recently got my computer so theres not much stuff on it so I just reformated it so that all the problems could be cleared out.

I have Vista and it works fine for me...unless my stupid 'puter decides to install an update *grimaces*

hi Guys,

Same problem
- Civ 3 was working Perfectly with no problems
- I played for days with no crash
- I save in a sequence like 001,002,003 etc and then save over the sequence in a loop just incase the last saved file has crashed
- Now whenever I reach a specific area (year 1882) where the computer has to autoplay the opponents, the game crashes.

i have read the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=227860&highlight=civ3.exe+stopped

I tried everything but the game crashes after loading at that year.

Please help!

Welcome to the forum, Sampdoria!

:dance: :banana: :bounce:

On your problem; it could be your naming pattern. If I understand it right, you would overwrite the 001 save with a new 001 save. And again. And again. I wouldn't do that. In theory there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm strange and I don't trust the theory in this case. :crazyeye:

I save my games with a rather cryptic naming convention. Something like 'France_MH100K_AD_1500_End.sav' That tells me which civ (France), Monarch difficulty, Huge map, 100K Culture victory, AD_1500 (turn year) and where in the turn I was. Which means each save has a distinct and unique name.

This does take up a lot of disk space, since I do tend to save after each turn, and sometimes mutliple times in a turn.

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem or not, but it is simple to try.

I now have a similar problem.
I was playing just fine then laid off for a time.
When I came back the Lap Top would not recognize my disc in the drive.
I tried down loading Patch 1.29 but no go.

I am also playing CivIII on an XP machine and for some reason my aircraft will not rise to defend my space from enemy bomber.
Does anyone know why this is so and if anything can be done about it?

I am also playing CivIII on an XP machine and for some reason my aircraft will not rise to defend my space from enemy bomber.
Check the Strategy thread for Aircraft info. I think they have to be assigned to CAP before they stop intruders, but I'm not sure.

Ciao mate,

Im sorry for the late reply but my problem got solved. It was a long procedure but *touch wood* it worked.

I had to uninstall Civ3 (Patched Version)
Then remove all registry inputs by using Registry Cleaner
Reinstall Civ 3 (Patched Version)
Load my saved game again - this time it worked perfect and did not
crash at *that* specific moment.

Im happy I found this place! :)

Cheers! :)

Welcome to the forum, Sampdoria!

:dance: :banana: :bounce:

On your problem; it could be your naming pattern. If I understand it right, you would overwrite the 001 save with a new 001 save. And again. And again. I wouldn't do that. In theory there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm strange and I don't trust the theory in this case. :crazyeye:

I save my games with a rather cryptic naming convention. Something like 'France_MH100K_AD_1500_End.sav' That tells me which civ (France), Monarch difficulty, Huge map, 100K Culture victory, AD_1500 (turn year) and where in the turn I was. Which means each save has a distinct and unique name.

This does take up a lot of disk space, since I do tend to save after each turn, and sometimes mutliple times in a turn.

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem or not, but it is simple to try.

Ciao mate,

Sampdoria,
I just had a major crash on Civ III Vanilla patched with v1.29f.:cry:
After the patch went in I started getting random crashes that threw me out of the game.:sad:
I uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it.
The game seemed to load fine. It got to the main title page but never loaded the main menu.
I uninstalled the patch, which was separate, and then game and reinstalled the game but no luck.:eek:
Where can I find this Register Cleaner? I have CCleaner loaded. Will that do the job?
Have I now corrupted my game disc???:badcomp:

Hey mate, I can understand your pain.

I think any registry cleaner should do as long as it removes info of non-installed/previously installed softwares which are not present. The idea is to remove all trace of Civ 3 from the PC.

- Make sure to have a backup of your saved games
- Make sure you uninstall your Civ 3 first,remove Civ folder restart PC, Registry clean.
- Make sure to also allow the registry cleaner to make a Backup of your registry so that in case something doesn't work on your PC, you will have the original registry file to reload.

Tell us how it went so it helps others in the future.

Cheers

Ciao mate,

Sampdoria,
After the patch went in I started getting random crashes that threw me out of the game.:sad:
The game seemed to load fine. It got to the main title page but never loaded the main menu.
I uninstalled the patch, which was separate, and then game and reinstalled the game but no luck.:eek:
Where can I find this Register Cleaner? I have CCleaner loaded. Will that do the job?

I think any registry cleaner should do as long as it removes info of non-installed/previously installed softwares which are not present. The idea is to remove all trace of Civ 3 from the PC.

Cheers

Sampdoria,
Thanks for you response.
This morning (Jan 4) I uninstalled game then patch.
Ran CCleaner on the Register and reloaded game.
I had to go out all day but when I returned I rebooted the game just fine.:cool:
I haven't down loaded the patch yet.
I'll let you know.

Update to the saga of the CivIIIv1.29f patch.
I installed the patch again.
The Main Menu is there so I was able to start the game.
I began to play and experienced several random crashes when I tried to order some worker units.:confused:
I uninstalled the patch but am still getting the crashes.:eek:

I now have a similar problem.
I was playing just fine then laid off for a time.
When I came back the Lap Top would not recognize my disc in the drive.
I tried down loading Patch 1.29 but no go.

Does anyone know why this is so and if anything can be done about it?

Ciao mate,

Sampdoria,

Cheers

Sampdoria,
Thanks for you response.
This morning (Jan 4) I uninstalled game then patch.
Ran CCleaner on the Register and reloaded game.
I had to go out all day but when I returned I rebooted the game just fine.:cool:
I haven't down loaded the patch yet.
I'll let you know.

Update to the saga of the CivIIIv1.29f patch.
I installed the patch again.
The Main Menu is there so I was able to start the game.
I began to play and experienced several random crashes when I tried to order some worker units.:confused:
I uninstalled the patch but am still getting the crashes.:eek:
I think all of this relates to CivIII and Vista, but I'm not sure.

What version of CivIII did you have before the patch?

CommandoBob and Sampdoria.
I appologize for shifting subjects.
My new issue does not relate to Vista.
I am running Vanilla Civ III on Windows 2000.
It is all academic now.
I moved all my saves to my external hard drive and cleaned out CivIII. I ran CCleaner to be sure nothing was left in the Register.
I shut down the computer and rebooted.
I reinstalled Civ III Vanilla and moved the last saved game from the external hard drive to the Civ Saves folder on the computer then started the game.
Civ would not recognize the save so I tried with the last Auto Save which I had also moved to the external drive but still no recognition.:sad:
I will start a new game to see what happens.

I've read here in the Tech Forum that in Civ III vanilla that games saved under an earlier patch are not always read by v1.29f.

You should be able to start a new game and save it just fine.

:sad:

Another Option
Most of us here at the Forum play/bought Civ 3 Complete (C3C) which has all three versions of Civ 3 on it (Vanilla, Play the World and Conquests) and each is fully patched when installed. No need for the user to do any patching; that is already done.

I saw C3C at Target at Christmas for $19.99. Amazon and eBay have it, too.

Hi Guys :)

I'm a bigtime civ3 fan, played it for weeks (if not months all togerther)! Anyway, I still play the old version v1.07f - and now installed it on Windows Vista.

Almsot everything is working fine, except the problem is, I cannot view 'current trade' to see what I am trading with others (you know when you press f4, and check what you are trading with other civs), and therefore I am also not able to end a specific trade or increase the price on it. So please tell me, must I install a patch or what in order to fix this problem??

Lemme know;)

Smae issue here. I installed civ 3 ( Just the original, not the tripple pack ) and loaded the patches, ran the game as the admin and ran compatibility package 2 ( Windows XP ) And I can get maybe 20 miniutes of playing time before it crashes.

The nusic will keep playbing but I get the loading marker instead of my mouse and it wont keep going. It all happens when I reach the year 300 BC. I uninstalled it, reloaded the patches and everything. I also use the civ3 editor often and I only play on those maps. I try to keep all the MAJOR settigns the same. But it happens with all the maps I maike. Even randomly generated ones. Any advise on this?

Top Bottom