Civ Leader Depiction Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teddy Roosevelt = 23
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10 + 1 = 11 If you've seen a video of him speaking, they really nailed his mannerisms.
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 14 - 3 = 11 He's a rusty potbellied stove, on his way out.
Gorgo = 17
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 8
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 20
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 21
Tomyris = 19
Phillip II = 16
Gilgamesh = 13

Teddy Roosevelt = 23+1=24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 11-3=8
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 11
Gorgo = 17
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 8
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 20
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 21
Tomyris = 19
Phillip II = 16
Gilgamesh = 13

Now this isn't JUST because I am still holding a grudge against Australia's inclusion this early. John Curtin looks very drab, the background makes absolutely zero sense for his character (it fits Australia, just not him in any way), and his voice annoys the ever loving hell out of me. I've heard some people say it is historical accuracy as he was severely weakened by heart disease and struggled to speak near the end of WW2 but listening to speeches of his I can hear nothing remotely close to the ear grating quavering of his in game voice (he actually sounds quite clear and charismatic in his public addresses), and even if that were true taking an artistic liberty in that regard or just depicting him as he was in the early days of WW2 when he could speak just fine wouldn't be the end of the world as really his speech is almost goat-like with how much shaking his voice does (most notably in his declaration of war) and it absolutely turns me away from him.

Initially I was really turned away from Teddy's design and thought it looked waxy and melty when they first unveiled it, but after he was slimmed down and touched up he looks quite good, and his speaking mannerisms completely capture the energetic and charismatic speaker he was known to be. The voice actor did a very good job portraying the great Bull Moose and it really brings the character to life.

Last edited:
Catherine de Medici = 1 - 3 = 0 I just really dislike the dull monochrome of her figure. Black and white can be done well, but it was not done well here.

There will be no place for you at Odin's table! :gripe:;)

Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 8
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 11
Gorgo = 17
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 8
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 20
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18 (21-3)
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 17 (16+1)
Gilgamesh = 13

I'm really feeling the burn now. It's tough to choose any to down vote, and Peter gets it cos he often ends up in the opposing camp to me!
Philip is easy to vote for. He is so fluid and full of hot air.

(edited as beaten to the punch by Returning Lurker)

Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 8 + 1 = 9 (No. He is not drab. There is no leader in Civ VI currently that better embodies actual human drama when you declare war).
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 11 - 3 = 8 (Inaccurate armor, way too large a potbelly, and he looks stiff, even if the voice actor was good.)
Gorgo = 17
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 8
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 20
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 17
Gilgamesh = 13

(SMcM erroneously upvoted two leaders, but didn't give reasoning for Tomyris - only for Curtin - so Tomyris' score stays at 19)

I was originally going to vote Tomyris but then changed my mind but forgot to undo the vote. I noticed this and edited it out a moment before you posted.

Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10 (9 + 1) Same reasons as the other people on this page
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 8
Gorgo = 17
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 8
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 17 (20 - 3)
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 17
Gilgamesh = 13

Jadwiga doesn't look very historical, nor does she look remotely like her real life self. There is only one picture of her where she is wearing a dress that resembles this one, and none of the pictures show her having the distinct features she has here (the pointed chin and strangely shaped face). The reason people upvote her is because they have a crush on her apparently, and I can't quite understand this considering that she looks like an especially goofy Disney character. I suppose some people have crushes on Disney princesses.

Spoiler :

Should be more important if she was a good or a bad ruler but I guess if Victoria's hand fan annoys me like hell then I'm fine with hatred against youngsters. At least she is better than the surfer.

She wasn't even a ruler though- she was too young to make decisions and so her husband was the real ruler. Anyway, this whole thead is about depictions of leaders, not their merits.

I assume you saw her in one of your previous lives? There are no accurate paintings of her since all were made much later after her death. And she looks goofy cuz she is the youngest character out of all them so she acts like a teenager in some ways.

Oh, well if we don't even have a clue what she looked like that makes her an even worse leader choice than I already thought! As for her being goofy, I was not just referring to the immature way she acts, but to her goofy appearance. She has the body of a fully grown woman and the face of a 10 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 8
Gorgo = 17 + 1 = 18 (I have a particular preference for strong female characters that aren't caricatures. Gotta vote Gorgo for now, since she's lower in score than Tomyris.)
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 8 - 3 = 5 (Continuing to vote down the only leader whose portrayal I don't agree with. He's also annoying me more than he should.)
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 17
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 17
Gilgamesh = 13

(SMcM erroneously upvoted two leaders, but didn't give reasoning for Tomyris - only for Curtin - so Tomyris' score stays at 19)
EDIT: oh, ok! I didn't reload the page before posting. I'll leave that portion for posterity though :p

Last edited:
Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19
Frederick Barbarossa = 8
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 5
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 17 - 3 = 14 exactly the point below. I don't want teenage girls running around as rulers. She died young, but not that young - why make her look like that?
And she looks goofy cuz she is the youngest character out of all them so she acts like a teenager in some ways.
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 17 + 1 = 18 the best of the comical declaration of war animations in my opinion. And also a great defeat screen.
Gilgamesh = 13

Last edited:
Oooohhhh.... Forum games....

Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 19 + 1 = 20 (It's refreshing to find a medium that portrays Victoria as a young queen other than period dramas. Also her attitude)
Frederick Barbarossa = 8 - 3 = 5 (I always feel that his movements are a bit robotic compared to the other leaders)
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 5
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 26
Jadwiga = 14
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 18
Gilgamesh = 13

Teddy Roosevelt = 24
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 2 (5 - 3) ...is worst.
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 27 (26 + 1) ...still solid.
Jadwiga = 14
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 18
Gilgamesh = 13

Teddy Roosevelt = 24 + 1 = 25
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 20
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Mvemba a Nzinga = 2 - 3 = ELIMINATED
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 27
Jadwiga = 14
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 18
Gilgamesh = 13

Mvembe a Nzinga's dress looks too traditional, despite him being a modernizer for his people.

Bully for Teddy, since the art team fixed his depiction very well.

Last edited:
Teddy Roosevelt = 25
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 17 (20-3)
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 27
Jadwiga = 15 (14+1)
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 18
Gilgamesh = 13

Cuz I prefer Disney princess over a lady who could easily belong to Red Light District.

Teddy Roosevelt = 25
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 17
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 20
Cyrus the Great = 27
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 18+1=19 - Peter looks like a strong and cultured leader. He's good enough for upvote.
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 18-3=15 - Yes, he's very theatrical, shows his emotions, etc. etc., but I don't really like when he shouts at me and starts to wave his sword in front of my face. And, if I'm not mistaken, real Phillip II of Spain was called "El Prudente" (The Prudent), so his portrayal in game doesn't suit him.
Gilgamesh = 13

Last edited:
Teddy Roosevelt = 25
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 17-3 = 14 Same reason that others have said, don't like her personality.
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 20+1 = 21 The jolly big Viking! He doesn't get too upset when you DoW him, and I don't get too upset when he DoW's me. Mutual respect, even if his Civ is weak. He's got a great voice/accent too!
Cyrus the Great = 27
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 13

Teddy Roosevelt = 25
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 14+1 = 15
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 15-3 = 12
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 27
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 13

same as i voted yesterday

Teddy Roosevelt = 25 + 1 = 26 Still my favorite
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria = 20
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 12
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 27 - 3 = 24 Just to knock him down below Teddy
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 13

Teddy Roosevelt = 26
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria = 20 - 3 = 17 (I just plain don't like her).
Frederick Barbarossa = 5
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 12
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 24
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 13 + 1 = 14 (He's my bro)

Teddy Roosevelt = 26
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 10+1=11 Represents the leader well
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria =17
Frederick Barbarossa = 5-3=2 Inaccurate armor, his intro animation movement is weird
Gorgo = 18
Pericles = 12
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 24
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 14

Teddy Roosevelt = 26
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 11
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria =17
Frederick Barbarossa = 2

Gorgo = 15 (18-3)
I don't have strong negative opinions about any of the remaining leaders, but Gorgo seems to be there just to be there. It's nice to see someone that doesn't throw a fit over the slightest bit of warmongering, but the amount of historical info we have about Gorgo could fit on the back of a used napkin. She's just in the game to provide a balanced gender ratio and show off the multiple leaders mechanic.

Pericles = 13 (12+1)
Speaking of Greeks... Pericles is awesome! Cunning representative of the demos, easy to work with his agenda, and a nice return to the greek golden age from Civ 5's Alexander monolith.

Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 24
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 14

Teddy Roosevelt = 26
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 11
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria = 17 - 3 = 14 - "Would you care to throw a temper tantrum with England?" :rolleyes:
Frederick Barbarossa = 2
Gorgo = 15
Pericles = 13
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 24 + 1 = 25 - As others have said, they did a great job with this one.
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15
Gilgamesh = 14

Teddy Roosevelt = 26
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 11
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria = 14
Frederick Barbarossa = 2 - 3 = 0 ELIMINATED! Farewell to he of the annoyingly anachronistic armour.
Gorgo = 15
Pericles = 13
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hadrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 25
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 15 + 1 = 16 He's annoying, but his personality makes for a very entertaining leader screen. Giving him a point just for the "We welcomed the here-I mean, the delegation..." line
Gilgamesh = 14

Teddy Roosevelt = 26
Saladin = 22
John Curtin = 8 (11-3) "It's curtains for you, mister!" Nothing against him, just not enthusiastic about modern-only civs.
Cleopatra = 15
Victoria = 14
Gorgo = 15
Pericles = 13
Hojo Tokimune = 23
Harald Hardrada = 21
Cyrus the Great = 26 (25+1) As if he needed my vote. Now that Barbarossa is gone, I guess I need to find someone else to vote for.
Jadwiga = 15
Trajan = 21
Peter the Great = 19
Tomyris = 19
Philip II = 16
Gilgamesh = 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom