[LP] Rating the Leader Pass Leaders

What are the best 3 Leaders from the Leader Pass for you?

• Abraham Lincoln

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Nzinga Mbande

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Sultan Saladin

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Nader Shah

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Muhtesem Suleiman

• Tokugawa

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • Unifier Qin Shi Huang

• Wu Zetian

• Yongle

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Ptolemaic Cleopatra

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Ramses II

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Sundiata Keita

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Ludwig II

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Theodora

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • Sejong

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Elizabeth I

• Varangian Harald

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Age of Steam Vicoria

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Julius Caesar

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Zegangani

King
Now that we got all the necessary Information (Abilities) and Spotlights (Graphics) on all the Leaders in the Leader Pass, what's your Impression of them? how would you rate their Abilities and Leader Models? and most of all, how would you rate them from best to worst (or vice versa - you may do so based on their Ability, Model, or overall Design)?
(Please don't answer based on whether the Leader Pack was Free or not. But you may do so considering Time and Resource Pressure on the Devs or in comparison between previous DLCs)

As an Anthology Owner who got the Leader Pass for Free, I didn't care much about the Quality of the Leaders, as it feels like a free Bonus Content for me that I'd rather have than not. But still, I'll be playing with these new Leaders in the same Game as the other existing Leaders, so ofc I'm gonna base them based on the latter, their Quality, Uniqueness, Balance and also Appearance. Which I think is fair..

Here's my Rating of the LP Leaders based inclusively on synergy with Civ Ability, contrast to the other (existing) Leader's Ability, Leader Choice, and my own Playstyle:

1) Ludwig II: Model: while the Clothes' Fabric doesn't look very high Quality, the Model and Accessory look very nice and polished. And I love the Leader Animations and Voice(even though it doesn't fit the leader that well). Ability: Definitely one of my Favorite Wonder (non-)builders! I don't think I'll ever play Germany as Frederick ever again lol ! The Devs managed to introduce a truly Unique Ability out of a Bug (technically), and I really wish they would have gone more out of the box like this with the other LP Leaders. 8/10.
2) Sundiata Keita: Model: Great Leader Model, but hate his generic Scepter. Ability: Not only shifts Mali more into Culture Victory, his Great Writings literally replace Mines! He adds a Unique play to an already unique Civ. 7.5/10.
3) Yongle: Model: not a big fan of his Model ngl, especially his Belt looks so simple and uninspired. I hope FXS won't stick too much to historical Pictures when designing Leaders for Civ7, but give themselves more creative/artistic freedom (so we don't have that Yongle vs Sejong debate again). Ability: Insanely powerful! But the good/interesting kind of powerful. Yongle offers any kind of play you wanna pursue. What else is there to say about him? 7.5/10 (would have given him 8.5 if it wasn't his Model that I can't say to admire)
4) Tokugawa: Model: one of the more "realistic" looking leaders in the Game (proportions and face model), but his Armor looks too plastic, something about it makes it quite boring to look at tbh. Ability: definitely one of the best designed ones, the emphasize on Domestic Trade Routes is both powerful and and immersive from a historic PoV. His Ability suits my playstyle very well in early to mid Game, but the Tourism and Loyalty Bonus aren't impactful enough though. A 7.5/10.
5) Age of Steam Victoria: Model: very stylish. From a Quality PoV, she's the best Model so far in the LP. Ability: Man! that looks so powerful! must come from the advancements from the Age of Steam ;). While it's another simple and straightforward Ability, it's like Ptolemaic Cleopatra's Ability in that regard: the more interesting kind of simple, not bland at all. 7/10.
6) Ptolemaic Cleopatra: Model: One of the better Leader Models, clearly. Ability: requires a lucky/good Map start, on the other hand, flood plains start biases aren't very hard to meet. Very good for tall Play and Culture Victory, especially the Appeal Ability is quite strong with the other Egypt kit. Uncomplicated yet not bland. 7/10
7) Nzinga Mbande: Model: She's my #2 of the best Leader Models from LP, really wish that the rest of the LP Leaders had similar great Hair. Ability: Too bad the original design was changed, though I like the decolonization theme, while her Ability is bland, it's still strong and the fact that you can build HS with Kongo, and finally being able to fully utilize the Civ Ability for Relics makes Ana Nzinga a Game changer. 7/10
8) Varangian Harald: Model: I would lie if I would say that I liked it. I don't. I think Viking Harald is way more impressive and good looking. Ability: I think he steps up the Ability of Gilgamesh and Matthias to the next Level. Definitely an engaging Ability, that also taps well with the Leader historically. 6.5/10
9) Theodora: Model: I like everything about her except the Clothing/Accessoires and the plastic/unpolished Hair. The Animation, VA, Face/Head Design, Proportions are all well done, but Idk, she seems like a real Queen in a Cosplayer's cheap Costume. But not as bad as Ramses'. Ability: Another Simple yet powerful Ability. While it's not very involving, I still like it. 6.5/10.
10) Unifier Qin Shi Huang: Model: a bit of a downgrade from his Vanilla Model, and also looks from WoW. But not too bad. Ability: I really like it. He's quite a diversion from the more peaceful Vanilla Qin, and offers a very engaging way to go for Domination. He also offers something that no other Leader can offer: He literally allows the Player to want to get attacked by Barbarians! Unfortunately, this is too much RNG reliant, but he's a Persona, so, it's half as bad. 6.5/10
11) Julius Caesar: Model: Too much out of Proportion, too much out of WoW, even though the design itself is very good, as well as the expressions/animations. Ability: Finally a Domination focused Rome! His Ability would actually fit more with the base Game, and isn't balanced well with other DLC/XP Leaders, especially since it doesn't scale well with Eras. But still, makes conquest very rewarding. 6/10.
12) Muhtesem Suleiman: Model: everything looks great, except his Clothes' Color doesn't go well with his tan. They should have either made his skin color more bright, or choose a different color for his Clothes, as now it just looks like a color mish-mash. Ability: I honestly don't know what to think of this, on one hand it's a powerful ability that can help you with either Science or Culture Victory, on the other hand it's situational and forces you to go for specific strategies, and the Combat Ability relies to much on other Players rather than you, and becomes quickly irrelevant. Overall, I would give him a 6/10.
13) Ramses II: Model: very underwhelming, one of the worst in the Game IMO, and definitely the worst from the LP. He's the most Leader that I was anticipating from the LP, but Boy does he underdeliver. Idk, but he just looks like someone pretending/cosplaying as Ramses II. Ability: Strong, but too straightforward/dull. Not very engaging + not adequate for a Leader with such rich History. 5.5/10
14) Abraham Lincoln: Model: too thin for my taste, but apart from that he is definitely one of the best Models of the LP. Ability: I like the interaction with Loyalty, but since this latter as a Game Mechanism isn't well balanced in the Game and easily ignorable, it rather falls flat here for me. It's the free Units from IZ that make Abe Strong. Because he had great Potential to interact with some existing Mechanics based on his History, he wasn't interesting enough on that front for me (will take the Moment to praise Suk's Design of Abe, I recommend anyone who hasn't to try it). So I would give him a 5.5/10.
15) Elizabeth I: Model: Could have been easily the best Leader Model from NFP, if it weren't the plastic Pearls and Buttons, who completely distort that nice appearance for me. Ability: Another Trade Routes oriented Ability, this is almost exclusively focused on that ==> very boring and unimaginative. Nothing new or interesting. Would have accepted that for any previous Leaders, but not for her, not for a Leader from the last Pack. 5/10
16) Sejong: Model: the better looking Yongle, even if it's just for the fact that he has Clothes in a different Color than Yellow, but the Book looks very ugly and uninspired IMO (in other words, I like his Model, but not that much). Ability: Synergizes pretty well with the Civ Ability, and can be quite powerful, but as I haven't tried him yet I'm not sure how to utilize his LUA, looks too micromanagy to make use of but I could be wrong on that. Though, it doesn't look interesting enough for me to play as. 5/10.
17) Sultan Saladin: Model: The Armor looks very odd on Saladin, as his Body isn't really suited for it, hence doesn't look very impressive in it. On it's own, the Armor looks very nice, except the Arm Plates, which look like from WoW. Ability: The most boring Ability from the LP if you ask me. Powerful, but too boring. Saladin is a very odd choice to make a Persona for. 5/10.
18) Nader Shah: Model: great Leader Model! (but not perfect). Ability: requires domination/conquest to make use of (and in the early game only, after that, it's insignificant), but Cyrus is already better at Domination, so why would I want Nader Shah for that? He's redundant as an alternative Leader if his presence is simply another take on Domination. 5/10
19) Wu Zetian: Model: pretty nice, I don't like how the Chinese LP Leaders all have the same Yellow/Golden color palette, but her it fits the most. Ability: very underwhelming if you ask me. The Spy can be useful in early Game, but only if RNG is good to you. You can't really utilize her Ability to gain much from it, and since I dislike the Espionage mechanic in the Game anyway, Wu Zetian becomes another Leader that I need to use a Mod for to make her worth playing. 4.5/10.

All in all, although I like the Leader Models overall, or at least find them OK, I'm pretty disappointed in most of their Abilities though. It's clear that their Abilities aren't anything new, and that the Devs might have some Time/Resource Pressure when designing the Leaders, but I'm sure with just a little more effort they would clearly could have come with better and more unique Abilities, at least for most Leaders. The Effects and Modifiers System in Civ 6 offers nearly limitless possibilities when it comes to new Abilities, it's just up to the Imagination (and Experience) on how you use it (and Modders have proven that countless times). Not to say that I'm unhappy about the Leader Pass, it's just that I'm a bit underwhelmed overall, even though it had some nice Ideas here and there.

1) Ptolemaic Cleopatra - LOVE appeal play, love getting massive yields, love being able to do stuff with terrain that i normally cant do as other civs, making natural parks out of floodplains scratches all those itches. this was made for me
2) Ludwig - hes got a magnificently fresh and unique mechanic, especially considering this is the leader pass we're talking about, which makes this the definitive germany for me, a peaceful builder type of player. plus they let him be a lil fruity as a treat <3
3) Sejong - for the exact same reason why so many others are dissapointed by him: for his ability to actually be something you can actively engage with, you have to minmax your yields for a single turn and micromanage delaying the onset of each new tech era as much as possible. which is tedious for most people but for me gives me a clear idea of a singular instance of "reward" to look forward to and prepare for which feels very fun. a lot of stuff in this game is "unlock the way to get this big yield and then boom! its there. now uhh i guess its just always there, kinda just hanging around. thats all" which is fun when you unlock it but then its just kinda background noise. whereas with sejong you get to go "wooooo yeah thats my massive culture boost, alright, time to reprioritize other stuff in my cities so i can build up to making the next one even better!!!"

Theodora takes the top spot for me.
Not only is her culture from holy sites disgustingly OP, but she doesnt even rely on an adjacency pantheon, which is the hardest part of setting up a work ethic religion (unless you restart a lot).
She gets culture levels that are absolutely obscene for the early game, more in line of what you would expect from a mid to late game civ, and she can easily hit industrial era civics in the early medieval era without much effort.
And she gets double prophet points, which is synergizes extremely well with her leader ability.
Finally, taxis (combat strength) is already extremely strong on Deity (where war with the AI is often unavoidable or a necessity), and she gets it just like Basil.
Insanely strong is all that needs to be said about her, and imo no contest.

I haven't played with all the leaders, so my opinion could change in regards to their abilities later.

S Tier
- Sundiata Keita: Possibly my favourite. Looks right at home in Civ 6.

- Ana Nzinga: Great, colourful, model, best hair in the game, with a very simple ability which doesn't feel dull, thanks probably to being able to found a Religion. Immediately memorable;

- Wu Zetian: probably the best model in the LP, with an attention to detail typically seen in pre-NFP leaders.

A Tier
- Tokugawa: Good model, one of the best abilities in the LP;

- Yongle: Good model, possibly the most fun ability in the LP. I don't think there's an ability in Civ 6 which grants the player so much flexibility in adjusting to situations.

- Cleopatra: Great model with an ability which allows a unique Appeal playstyle.

B Tier
- Suleiman: Nice model, nice ability;

- Ludwig II: wide faced, looks like one of the aliens from Men In Black trying to ft into a human skin, but the ability is one of the most inspires in the LP, offering a truly unique playstyle.

- Harald: Good model and the ability seems to encourage a "become the barbarian" playstyle.

C Tier
- Saladin: Decent model. Ability is really basic but it can allow for a bit of fun in war oriented games.

- Sejong: Good model, overly restrictive and passive ability.

- Qin: I'm just not too qin on playing with this leader, but the ability can be fun under the right circumstances. Good model.

- Theodora: Strongly in "meh" territory. Meh model, meh ability.

- Elizabeth: Decent model, meh ability.

- Caesar: Absurdly exaggerated model, basic ability, but farming barbarians can be somewhat fun.

D Tier
- Lincoln: Good quality model which looks... bad? Exagerated caricature. He seems to be far from the screen (so that the hat fits the screen?) which actually makes him look gnome sized rather than tall. Nothing in the leader ability makes me want to play him.

- Nader Shah: Good model, but I don't like the model design. There's something off about him that makes him look like he belongs in a different game. Actually looks tall, unlike Abraham. One of the dullest abilities in the LP.

- Ramses: Ugly, low quality attire. Ability is meh.

- Victoria: I like the choice of design for the model, but not the execution, which looks like it's made of rubber or plastic. May actually beat Nader Shah for the title of most uninspired ability.

If I were evaluating abilities merely on strength I wouldn't have put Victoria towards the bottom. Extra culture from adjacency isn't something I find terribly engaging.
Was gonna modify my post in case you meant that, but forgot about it during lunch.
Fair enough, the ability by itself isnt that engaging, even if (too) strong.
I do like that it synergizes well with the civ ability though, unlike say.. Varangian Harald.

Saladin is a very odd choice to make a Persona for. 5/10.
I disagree. Saladin was one of the leaders where it made the most sense for a persona. His original leader abilities did not represent the turbulent period of the Crusades at all, which is what he is most known for. It was like they slapped an Abbasid Caliph's bonuses onto Saladin.

Last edited:
Yongle, Ludwig and Theodora overall, with Tokugawa and Cleopatra with the 4th and 5th places, charismatic and interesing character composition, innovative gameplay and in case of Cleo and Lud improved their bases civs quite a lot, even if they arent worth a slot of Great Work of 3D art they sure are the pride of a B team of great talent. Well done.

Wu, Suleiman, Qin, Sejong and Keita are also very high quality, just not my favs.

Nzinga and Nader have great models, very charismatic too, but meh abilities.

The rest is not quite my taste

For me, the most fun to play are Tokugawa, Yongle and Sundiata Keita.

The strongest of the pack are perhaps Nzinga Mbande and Age of Steam Vicoria, however, they are the most boring to play. Especially the first one where you don't have to put in any effort, just settle cities on your own continent, there's no lazier ability than that.

Abraham Lincoln and Ptolemaic Cleopatra's abilities are perhaps the mildest. You hardly feel any loyalty-related bonuses or maluses, you can just pass it by without a care, while Cleopatra's one will not have any significant impact on your game (resources on floodplains are not as common and the small effect of the appeal will only come late in the game).

Although it seems to be unpopular, I like Elizabeth I's ability to dominate the seas and plunder foreign trade routes. This can enable a fun gameplay.

I really only care how powerful their leader abilities are, how unique they are, do they fit with the rest of the civ's abilities. I don't really care about models or historical accuracy.

S Tier
- Yongle:
Unique projects are pretty rare and Yongle gets 3! I find I often times have 1-2 turns before I research a tech/civic before I can build the thing I actually want to build and the projects are a nice filler rather than putting production into something else that I will never finish. It allows you to be rolling in cash or faith, it can allow you to grow super large cities, get your pick of pantheons. It ticks all the boxes, fun, unique, powerful.

A Tier
- Tokugawa:
Internal trade routes are a neglected variation of the economic civ gameplay and Tokugawa uses it to get massive yields. I've won science victories without building a campus or theater square district with him. It does feel bad when a city state has a trade route quest or if you want to trade with an allied civ though.
- Ludwig II: Getting benefits from all wonders, built or unbuilt, is definitely unique and synergizes well with the Hansa changing the way Germany is played. Only issue I have is finding room to place all the wonders plus the extra district per city that Germany can build.
- Theodora: I love a strong religious civ and super high adjacency Holy Sites are great with work ethic. The only issue I have is finding places to put something other than Holy Sites, Hippodromes, and farms.

B Tier
- Nader Shah:
Super strong internal trade routes are unique and fun similar to Tokugawa. There was a bug when I played him where all domestic trade routes got the bonus, not just from cities not founded by Nader. Not sure if that has been fixed yet. Putting him a tier below Tokugawa since Nader's bonus (at least the way it's supposed to be) requires a bit more micromanagement and requires some conquering whereas Tokugawa can benefit almost immediately.
- Ramses: Can an ability be both fun and boring? It's really just a flat bonus but being able to shoot through the civic tree and hit certain key civics early is pretty cool. Become suzerain of Ayutthaya if you can for extra hilarity.
- Wu Zetian: Spies are a relatively unique bonus but at the same time it's too similar to Catherine's ability.
- Caesar: Extra gold for conquering fits well with legions even if it's a bit of a bland ability.
- Cleopatra: Managing appeal feels limiting to me because I can't always place that mine or industrial zone where I want and IZs go really well with floodplains. Still it's a unique bonus and can work well with a heavy preserve build.
- Elizabeth: We have plenty of external trade based civs already. Still the ability fits with England as a builder, trader, warmonger hybrid.
- Harald: Levying city state units and getting extra yields is cool and unique. Only issue I have is that the AI likes to envoy bomb city states that I become suzerain of and it feels real bad to lose those units if that happens.

C Tier
- Sejong:
Requires a lot of micromanaging to get a mediocre culture bonus. It's barely noticeable if you don't micromanage.
- Sundiata Keita: Extra production for a civ with penalties toward production? Extra gold for a civ already rolling in gold? Seems like strange ability to me
- Ana Nzinga: Strong, but really boring. Doesn't really affect gameplay at all. It's really the absence of Mvemba's ability that changes Kongo, but that just allows you to build holy sites like every other civ.
- Suleiman: Strong but boring. I'm always going for golden ages anyway so a bonus to golden ages doesn't really change anything
- Victoria: Strong but boring. Notice a pattern yet? Extra production is nice but it doesn't really change gameplay at all.
- Saladin: Strong but boring. Extra combat strength for adjacency is nice but it doesn't really change gameplay at all.

D Tier
- Lincoln: America is a cultural/diplomatic civ. But Lincoln's ability makes them a warmonger? Wut? Plus most industrial zones will be built in the renaissance or industrial eras which is relatively late to go conquer another civ.
- Qin: I've seen some hilarious videos using Qin in zombie mode. But for regular gameplay it's a highly variable ability and really only useful in the ancient era.

Last edited:
In terms of how good their models are:-
1. Wu Zetian
2. Ana Nzinga
3. Sundiata Keita

In terms of how strong their abilities are:-
1. Victoria
2. Yongle
3. Ludwig II

In terms of how interesting/thematic their abilities are:-
1. Ludwig II
2. Sundiata Keita
3. Tokugawa

My top 3 leaders based on both the models and abilities are:
Ludwig
Sundiata Keita
Tokugawa

Honorable mention for Theodora based on abilities, and Wu based on appearance.

Last edited:
I also was kind of upset with some of the leaders even though hearing new stuff about civilization was great!... I don't know it didn't quite get my attention tbh and I was trying to stay in civilization. Don't get me wrong, some of the visuals were nice like Julius design. Saladin, Lincoln (kind of) or Ana and Tokugawa... I should've played more maybe it was myself that I couldn't find enough time to play. There was that excitement that new civilizations were coming out and I liked it, it was great. I haven't played in awhile because of school and work and its not because of the design. I'm on spring break right now so at least I'm able to post. Maybe its just me but if I would've played it more often I would've been more into it, Sejong of Korea. Its still difficult for me because I play random and many civs are vanilla and the odds of getting the newer ones are very small. A bit disappointed but the excitement of having new additions to civilization was great. I'm still a fan though.

My top 5 in no particular order were:
Elizabeth: Her ability isn't great but I'm just glad she's in game
Ludwig: I love the half finished wonder culture gameplay
Theodora: The most fun leader in the pack for me to be honest, love the holy sites that double as theaters and industry sites
Julius Caesar: Like with Elizabeth, i'm just glad he's in game as well
Cleopatra: Interesting gameplay. I had never played the preserve game before

Top Bottom