Civ Specific Resources

xienwolf

Deity
While discussing the Lanun-Only Pearls, it arose in conversation that it could be interesting for all Civilizations to have Unique Resources, to encourage Diversity in Trade Options, and make Diplomacy have solid rewards.

This thead is meant to gather information on what resources people think might be appropriate. I've entered some personal ideas for the moment. The benefits to other Civilizations need not be thought of immediately, just the resource for which that Civilization is known worldwide as having the best export of. Ideally by the end of things there would be a Unique benefit for at least 3 Civilizations, in addition to the General Benefit.

These resources would come from a normal building, so the Civilization would have 1 available per city they own to trade amongst their friends.

1. Amurites - Vellum Scrolls
    • General Bonus: -5% Chance for Spells to be Resisted
  2. Balseraphs - Acting Troupes
    • General Bonus: +1 :) from Bards & Great Bards
  3. Bannor - Doctrine of Tactics
    • General Bonus: +1 Free Promotion for Melee
  4. Calabim -
  5. Clan of Embers -
  6. Doviello - Hunting Dogs
    • General Bonus: All Recon Units provide 1 :hammers: to the nearest City with each Kill
  7. Elohim - Holy Writ
    • General Bonus: +5 :culture: per City
      • Mercurian: +20% Heal Rate in Cities
  8. Grigori - Scholarly Exchange
    • General Bonus: +7 :science: per City
  9. Hippus - Prime Stock Mounts
    • General Bonus: +50% Trade Route Yields & +1 Trade Route from Great Merchants
  10. Illians - Unmelting Ice
    • General Bonus: +5 :health: per City
      • Doviello: +15% Fire Resistance for all Units
  11. Infernal - Infernal Contract
    • General Bonus: +1 :strength: for Melee (like Sheut Stone)
  12. Khazad - Crafting Tools
    • +1 :hammers: from Engineers & Great Engineers
  13. Kuriotates - Manufactured Goods
    • +1 :gold: from Merchants & Great Merchants
  14. Lanun - Rum
    • Generic Bonus: +1 :) from Merchant & Great Merchant
      • Balseraphs Bonus: +10% Military Production
      • Khazad/Luchuirp Bonus: +2 XP for Dwarven Units
  15. Ljosalfar - Fey Wood
    • General Bonus: +50% Naval Production
  16. Luchuirp - Tempered Clay
    • General Bonus: +25% Production for Buildings
  17. Malakim - Stained Glass
    • General Bonus: +1 :) from Temples
  18. Mercurians -
  19. Sheaim -
  20. Sidar -
  21. Svartalfar -

Grigori's could provide bonus versus Disisple or Divine pells(If the last is possible).

Just my thoughts for a few you don't have, no balance etc. involved.
# Bannor - Manual of Arms - +XP to melee/archery or +military production

# Doviello - Wolves - +attack strength to Hunters/Rangers/Beastmasters

# Elohim - Holy Relics - +XP to disciples

# Illians - can't think of a good name, +cold strength

# Svartalfar - Nightshade - +poison strength to recon

# Khazad - can't think of a good name, +forge bonus

1. Grigori - Relic of the Luonnotar
    • General Bonus: +2 EXP to divine units
  2. Elohim - Sanctuary Stone
    • General Bonus: additional defence to units in the owners empire (like sheut stone)
  3. Malakim - Glasswares
    • General Bonus: +1 Health and +1 Happyness

How about 'Precision Tools', or something to that effect for the Khazad? It could give a bonus to production. Or maybe 'Steel', giving a bonus to their unit attack. (My original thought was 'Ale', since they're dwarves, but I decided it was too close to the 'Rum' already mentioned.)

elohim - holy water (only on lakes or beside a river)
adds holy water promotion to disciple units like bronze, iron weapons (+40% resist vs disease or something like that.
or
+1 happy/health in cities with hope.
or
units heal faster.
or
disciple can use it for complete healing (only once, like bless)

i like the idea but i wouldnt want the bonuses from these resources to be too powerful.

Kuriotates- Linen or Jewelry. I mean they do already have a UB Tailor and Jeweler. It would make sense for them to make tradeable goods.
+5% cullture

Elohim- Holy Water.
+10% vs Demons and Undead

Illians- Bone of Mulcarn- +cold strength. Same as Pyr0mancers idea. After Mulcarn died he must have had a corpse. I like to think the illians used his bones for powerful weapons.

Illians- Bone of Mulcarn- +cold strength. Same as Pyr0mancers idea. After Mulcarn died he must have had a corpse. I like to think the illians used his bones for powerful weapons.
Hmm, Bones of the Winter Lord? Even if their not really the Bones of Mulcarn, they could just be enchanted bones that they claim are Mulcarns'. Or maybe Maybe armor or something that raises risistances signifitantly, but lower exp rate? An wildly unbalanced one would promvid immortality, but the the price of not gaining anymore exp.

I would not want to see anymore resources on the map, but it would be cool if there where some wonders that provided new resources. I don't think everyone civ should have there own unique resource, maybe just make the wonder available to a specific alignment or race; or maybe a random event could make the resource available.

Nice. I like it. I'll post more thoughts later tho. I have to go to work.

The Ljosalfar suggestion is problematic because it means the Ljosalfar suddenly become the best at building navies, which hardly seems like a common thematic Ljosalfar pursuit. Otherwise the current ideas look good. But there is a major problem with civ-specific resources in that they clutter up the map, eliminating resources that everyone can use (and which are generally more useful as food/production bonuses, etc.).

Most of these wouldn't be map-located resources, but palace/unique building provided, if I'm understanding the OP correctly.

Sidar- Tomes of Laroth. Books taken from the underworld which held the secrets to become shades. +1 xp for units. should be VERY reluctant to trade this away.

While in general, I agree with the idea, I have found the nice thing about FFH is that the civilizations are not balanced. In this context I will make the suggestion that not every civilization needs its own resource. In particular the ones that really need it (for flavor alone) would be Doviello (perhaps another kind of pelt to complement Beaver), Orcs (some jungle resource), and Basium (ambrosia?). As for Infernals, simply harvesting Sheut stone should be enough.

Yes, not a one of these would appear on the map, ever. They would all be provided by the standard (non-Wonder) buildings which are specific to that Civilization.

Ideally most of the benefits would be non-militant, as the main goal is to wind up improving the value of Diplomacy in the game, not as a way to enhance your teammate's war capabilities.

I am also considering making the bonus NOT apply to the native Civilization. It is assumed to be naturally a part of their daily lives, so whatever bonus the building itself gave them is all they get out of it (thus the incentive to trade away every source of that resource they have available).

Also, for providing ideas, think of Mundane things. And things which they would want to EXPORT. I highly doubt that if the Illians have access to the bones of Mulcarn they are willing to hand them over to someone for a few bushels of corn. And most of the Sidar haven't even seen the Tomes of Laroth (if there is more than 1), so they certainly wouldn't allow it to be released to outsiders.

And the point isn't balance at all. It is incentive for Diplomacy alone. As such, you are correct that some Civilizations just don't make much sense, because they are by nature NOT diplomatically inclined.

EDIT: Added some more to the first post. All inspired by, if not directly from, ideas posted so far. I also have attempted to show that there is no limit on WHAT you do. It doesn't have to be something that you "know that a Resource can provide." I can code it in so that anything is possible essentially. So if it seems fitting, suggest it. If it is non-combat oriented, I'll almost certainly attempt to make it happen.

Isn't the number of resources part of the game fonts file and very difficult to change? I thought that was why stone was dropped awhile back because Kael had reached the cap on slots for resources.

Illians=Vial of unmelting Ice(i.e, Just add one part potion to 10 part water to create ice that dosen't melt till you want it to! Perfect for pranks and temporary structures!) Provides hammers, best if only applyed to buildings, but it don't know if this is possible.

It was once a problem, it is no longer. Not sure when/who fixed it, but I can safely assure you that I am capable of adding an essentially unlimited number of resources (and religions & Guilds for that matter).

Unmelting Ice is a sweet idea. I think that I'll have it apply Fire Resistance Promotions for a few Civs, and have the General Bonus be a huge Health gain per city (we have a Fridge!)

EDIT: Changed Hippus to a non-War oriented Resource. I like it better this way (no +1 Trade Route for a normal Merchant because that would be too powerful. But only a bonus to Great Merchants is too weak. So a mixed general Bonus)

Also modified my idea about the Promotion. I want to avoid anything that can persist beyond the possession of the resource. Thus if the deal is canceled, the benefits are all lost immediately..... Hrm.. now that I state that it doesn't sound quite fitting... I'll think about it.

Top Bottom