Civ V Civilizations Roster

I sure hope the Greeks are in. They are one of the most important civs ever.

Probably only Sumer, China, and India can match them.

lobby doesn't always work. civilization put greeks in the game because they had an important role on philosophy and culture in ancient times. plus alex is a great commander. they just shouldn't skip him. PHI/AGG suited his character so well, however phalanx was not that much strong. not even half the immortals.

else than these, i think greek civ wouldn't effect sales much as greeks don't have a high pop.

Having an interest in classics, I'm going to go with the 'Alexander not Greek' lobby. The Macedonian's where on the Persian side (nominally) in the Persian Wars, they spoke in a heavy dialect and were considered almost barbarians by the rest of 'Greece', and worse still, they did not water their wine! (Greek wine when produced was strong, and they watered it down - the Macedonans were renowned for simply drinking it straight and getting rowdy).

Pericles or Lycurgus (or someone) as leaders, Phalanx as UU for Greece. Alexander would be the leader of the Macedonians, with either the Companion Cavalry or some way of distinguishing Sarissa wielding Phalanx's. They were different - the latter type beat the former under Philip (Alexander's father).

that leaves only one spot for persia, spain, vikings and any other one we don't think of as a seriosu possibility...

i told u, i told u. greece cannot be OUT. i played as greece many times in civ1,2 and 3.
in civ4, i just found them weak.

@CMKMStephens alex's origin is a discussion. he is king of macedonia but macedonia in that era is generally considered to be ruled by a greek dynasty. today, there are also macedonians but i don't know about their origin. maybe they are slavs living in macedonia region, that's why they are called macedonians.

some historicians consider him as greek, no matter what his origin, because he spreaded greek culture. but you also say his culture was different than other greeks. well, there were many branches of greeks. you know greeks colonized all mediterrenean sea and just combined later with the local popoulation.

and there were so many tribes (even celts) and empires in that time in balcans and anatolia, so as greeks were the most dominant of them all in ancient times, it is normal for counting such leaders as greek.

well, historically accurate or not but as macedonia won't be IN the game, alex could be the greek leader.

Argh! Greece is confirmed in Gamespot article

YES.
Thank Zeus!

Alexander was Macedonian. That's clear cut. His father subjugated Greece, from what I recall, and most of the army that Alex lead on his massive tour were forced out of Greek cities by his dad (Phillip?). Didn't win him many points, which is why as he was off bonking Persians on the head, many Greeks were plotting against him.

I don't mind him as leader of the Greeks though. He's definitely well known and Macedon and Greece were pretty much united under him at the time. Not to mention that, because of his exploits, he spread Greek culture throughout the world.

i told u, i told u. greece cannot be OUT. i played as greece many times in civ1,2 and 3.
in civ4, i just found them weak.

@CMKMStephens alex's origin is a discussion. he is king of macedonia but macedonia in that era is generally considered to be ruled by a greek dynasty. today, there are also macedonians but i don't know about their origin. maybe they are slavs living in macedonia region, that's why they are called macedonians.

some historicians consider him as greek, no matter what his origin, because he spreaded greek culture. but you also say his culture was different than other greeks. well, there were many branches of greeks. you know greeks colonized all mediterrenean sea and just combined later with the local popoulation.

and there were so many tribes (even celts) and empires in that time in balcans and anatolia, so as greeks were the most dominant of them all in ancient times, it is normal for counting such leaders as greek.

Philip deliberately 'Greeked' his court to no small amount of controversy, and this process included having Aristotle educate his son Alexander. In conquering Greece, the Macedonian's under Philip and then Alexander effective hi-jacked 'Greekness' from them. The point of view of say, an Athenian at this point in time would still be that the Macedonians were barbarians (I.e, Demosthenes' Philippics - highly articulate calls to action against the Macedonians).

It's perhaps an irony of sorts that one of Alexander's justifications for his war against the Persian empire was a 'war of revenge' given that the Macedonians were Persian allies in the Great War; When he burnt down the Palace of Persepolis (most likely a drunken accident), the official story was that it was revenge for the Persian sacking of the Acropolis in Athens.

Long story short, Macedonian's (borderline Greeks) effectively assumed Greek identity, took the mantle of leadership by conquering the 'actual' Greeks, and then spread that identity all over the place with a combined Macedonian/Greek army. Eventually time mellowed out the distinctions between Greek and Macedonian given the greater contact and trade links with the wider world and more 'othery' 'others'

YES.
Thank Zeus!

Alexander was Macedonian. That's clear cut. His father subjugated Greece, from what I recall, and most of the army that Alex lead on his massive tour were forced out of Greek cities by his dad (Phillip?). Didn't win him many points, which is why as he was off bonking Persians on the head, many Greeks were plotting against him.

I don't mind him as leader of the Greeks though. He's definitely well known and Macedon and Greece were pretty much united under him at the time. Not to mention that, because of his exploits, he spread Greek culture throughout the world.

this is similar to what i say already.
macedonians are not IN the game son alex can be a greek leader.
it is a combined country macedonia/greece.

just like austria/hungary combined forces and austrian dynasty was counted as the leader of magyars as well as austrian germans. this doesn't mean habsburg moarchs are magyar in origin.

we don't know about the origin of macedonians already. do we? as i said earlier, there are many more nations who are confused with greeks at that time. thraecians, celts etc.

Now I know why nobody had encountered the Greeks until now, Firaxis had setup the demonstration to be PLAYING AS the Greeks. Screenshots with hidden interface and city names doesn't help show which civ you are supposed to be.

Now, since order in the streets of Athens has been restored, let's return to speculation about which historic figure would be better suited to embody our venerable leader. Alexander will 99% be it. However, there are a couple more cool choices out there:
Agamemnon (Mycenae), mythical leader of the Greek alliance that besieged Troy.
Leonidas (Sparta), led the Greek allied resistance against the Persians in Thermopylae.
Pericles (Athens), political leader of Athens during it's golden age.

Alright, so we have Persia, Spain, and the Vikings as the contenders for the last slot, with Babylon a slight possibility.

The Persians: They were out of Civilization Revolution, but other than that (and Civ1, I think?) they have been in every vanilla Civilizatino game. They may have been replaced as the "MidEast Civ" by the Ottomans, although I hope not, given that they played an important role in shaping Middle Eastern (and European, to some degree) culture.

The Spanish: Important civilization too, of course; they were out of Civ3 vanilla, so they could be out of Civ5 vanilla, too. I think they have a good a chance as Persia at this point.

The Vikings: The only thing that says they're in is the trailer, which I really don't trust. Then again, some others do, and they could be quite a surprise if they are in. But I wouldn't bet my chances on it; other than the trailer, there is nothing that suggests they would have a good chance to be in.

Babylon (or Sumeria): They've been in the vanilla Civilization up until they were kicked out Civ4. Seems like they're in a rut lately in the franchise, having been largely replaced by the Persians and Arabs in terms of "improtance", so I see little chance of them making it. HOwever, Firaxis could sort of go where Empire Earth II went (in EEII, the MidEast civs were Egypt, Turkey, and Babylon).

So I'm placing my bets either on Persia or Spain, while hoping that Persia takes the spot. They're too big and important a civilization to miss. But I wouldn't feel too bad if Spain were in, either.

i personally do not think the vikings have a chance of being in, they are probably just a city-state. why?
remember that each civ/leader has a unique preference, like Gandhi for city growth, Askia for war stuff, and Elizabeth for NAVY! the vikings are most well known by people for having a great navy and exploration much before the rest of Europe. So, they have little chance to get it, as the Viking leader would need a preference other than navy, which is blasphemy

There will be some overlap. Maybe the Vikings have a more militaristic expansion plan than Elizabeth. Or one might be focused more on the economy than the other. There are a number of factors, and the combination of those factors determines how the AI plays

Askia and Monty will both be warmongers (the former from the IGN article, the latter is obvious), but they will act in different ways through various other aspects of the game. Askia may emphasize teching more than Monty. Or focus more on peaceful expansion before going to way, or any number of other possibilities.

I think that despite all of the others you named be better choices, the Vikings will be the other. The Ottomans have been confirmed, they're in the trailer. So why not the same for the Vikings?

true but navy can really only be one category, unless you can control overseas trade routes.
as i took it, only certain aspects can be per leader as a main focus. for example gandhi will be the only one whos main niche will be city growth, whereas say, Catherine will be focused on making cities left and right. are there any naval things besides warfare/exploration i am forgetting?

Top Bottom