Civ V lore - is it set in the far future?

salty mud

Deity
I've pondered this topic since the game was originally released. There are a few things to me in Civilization V that hint at the game being set in the far future, and humanity is rebuilding after some sort of catastrophe. Ancient Ruins are the strongest piece of evidence I think; one can explore them for cultural artifacts from past empires, scientific marvels already discovered or your units can find advanced weaponry inside. Therefore, the technology has been researched before by civilisations past and unknown.

Not only that, but the narrator often refers to your empire "rising again" and "once again building a civilisation." Sounds clear to me that this isn't your civilisation's first time in the planet!

Just an interesting little thought experiment. The game seems to be referring to the potential cyclical nature of the universe, with history playing out slightly differently each time. What say you? Have you any other evidence?

Kinda makes sense, especially when you about all the rulers from different ages, that come together.
I always thought that this was a bit weird, but if you think about it, from the "cyclical nature" view, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

I've pondered this topic since the game was originally released. There are a few things to me in Civilization V that hint at the game being set in the far future, and humanity is rebuilding after some sort of catastrophe. Ancient Ruins are the strongest piece of evidence I think; one can explore them for cultural artifacts from past empires, scientific marvels already discovered or your units can find advanced weaponry inside. Therefore, the technology has been researched before by civilisations past and unknown.

Not only that, but the narrator often refers to your empire "rising again" and "once again building a civilisation." Sounds clear to me that this isn't your civilisation's first time in the planet!

Just an interesting little thought experiment. The game seems to be referring to the potential cyclical nature of the universe, with history playing out slightly differently each time. What say you? Have you any other evidence?

There are those who believe that India was involved in a nuclear war in its ancient past. If it wasn't with aliens, then it would have been with another human civilization who had split the atom. Do you ever listen to Coast to Coast AM?

The leaders are colonists from Alpha Centurai, augmented with technology to become immortal. They have travelled back to Earth to recolonise it as an experiment. A game, if you will. The unspoken truth of the immortal leaders is hidden in plain sight.

Top Bottom