Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

It's weird that so many of the original images that served as "inspirations" for the CiV art have been left-right flipped.

Is there a legitimate reason for doing that? Otherwise, it kinda suggests to me that whoever created the CiV art knew that basing them on those original images wasn't cool and flipped them in an attempt to disguise the source.

If you take a closer look at the images, i think most of them are faced to the right. So flipping them is then a design decission to ensure a consistent style (which is imho more important than the overall art expertise itself).

If you take a closer look at the images, i think most of them are faced to the right. So flipping them is then a design decission to ensure a consistent style (which is imho more important than the overall art expertise itself).

except then you have things like the computer, where it has no real orientation (aside from the keyboard) and was flipped regardless.

Just flipped it myself here, the orientation is even there visible.

Attachments

• technologyatlastwo_01_flipped.jpg
    technologyatlastwo_01_flipped.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,760
There's also this principle; the light source that cast shadows on a consistent perspective.
It could be a sun at Zenith or dawn while the particular angles of isometric rendering enforced an implicit sense of reality. Which is why the water mill icon i inserted earlier "feels" abstract but not out of the entire general set focus. New Aqueduc though, it *ADDS* the drawing plan concept.

Throw in artistic flavors and you get sharp contrast to enhance image features. Colors in that case are more than just objects rationalization; StoneHenge at night they used, for example.

They really wanted the WPA look for most of these. Though the looking forwards to the horizon look I think is based on some of the war posters of the era (a selected few probably). Although this doesnt explain all the art assets being flipped, the Red Fort for example was flipped for no real reason (the change is minimal).

About the lights being consistent, it may aply, but the lights are all over the place in Civ V assets (I've just checked a few). That lights and perspective can be used for the narrative of an image it's true, and it applies, but doing so with images found on Google gives the least amount of control over the illustration (there's a vital sketching process that was aparently skipped).

A few examples of WPA era posters

Too many glowing effects is usually considered just an unimaginative solution within the industry (same goes with the rising sun in most/all of them, why so many rising suns?). Too many units are blinging everywhere, likely because the clock was ticking, and they needed something that would give uniformity to all their art assets (so they stuck with the most consistently quick solution they could find... yet it is very consistent at that, which shouldn't be understimated). This in turn killed whatever original inspiration they originally stated they had. WPA posters did not abused glow or the rising sun background, these are all recent fads (and already old fads at that. My own avatar, done 6 years ago, included).

One of them shiny horses of old age...

Although for anyone working on Civ V art assets on a mod, there are 3 things that are vital to the Civ V look (besides google image search): colors (usually primary colors for the foreground and tertiary colors for the background), the glowing from one angle and the rising sun in the background. These are much harder to control than what they sound like though, but if anyone feels their assets are lacking that Civ V kick, try any or all of the above.

Continuing with the subject: though there was an aparent interest at first to follow WPA posters visual codes, the end result just wasnt as consistent in practice. The illustration styles end up being all over the place when compared side by side (from WPA-style mixed with bling and rising suns, Oil-like illustrations done in Painter and comicbook-like ones done by satan).

I may sound pretty mean at it, but it's not just because Firaxis is tottally stuckup and won't go out with me. But because, despite the huge work load, this is a bit of a dreamjob for any illustrator and it's disapointing that the end result was not as original as much of the game was. Illustration is a profession not only of problem solving, but also centered in originality.

You're gonna enjoy this;

The entire intent seems to mimic pointillism along with gouache without losing form. The magic in it is that volume is discarded for radical precision. Gaussian blur can turn a polygon area into selected texturing in these cases simply through lowering of the color counts.
Least denominator, in fact.
Who needs (some) filters or plugins when the palettes are somehow "Finalized".
That's how and we still are barely scratching the surface.
Of their canvas.

Mine is always dimensional.

Attachments

• m_DeathStar2.png
    m_DeathStar2.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 327
Did not got a word of that either... I hope I'm not vague or too buzzwordy in what I'm writting too.

Moderator Action: The banter stops now, back on topic.

You kidding? Of all the temples out there, I had no clue from the get-go that the icon, which is distorted, depicted the Second Temple of Jerusalem.

You kidding? Of all the temples out there, I had no clue from the get-go that the icon, which is distorted, depicted the Second Temple of Jerusalem.

No, I'm not kidding. If they use a famous temple for the icon of temple, that is perfectly alright by me.

Are you suggesting that they should they have drawn a temple from scratch?

No, I'm not kidding. If they use a famous temple for the icon of temple, that is perfectly alright by me.

Are you suggesting that they should they have drawn a temple from scratch?

Calm down ;). He said that this temple image doesn't count as popular, that's the essence ;).

But for the rest :yup:, if it's a well known thing, then you don't have much artistic freedom. But that also doesn't give anyone the permission to copy stuff.

about half of the thread is pictures of famous stuff.

and the other half are posts not containing any pictures. =p

a pretty close match for the panzer, a model of a tiger:

i wonder if some of the unit portraits were done from the 3d models

Top Bottom