Civ1 explained: city disasters

For the nuclear plant, there's a probability of nuclear catastroph when your city revolts, until you discover Nuclear Fusion which clears this threat. I think this is the sole improvment which can be destroyed this way rather than by a city switching sides.

For the nuclear plant, there's a probability of nuclear catastroph when your city revolts, until you discover Nuclear Fusion which clears this threat. I think this is the sole improvment which can be destroyed this way rather than by a city switching sides.

Yes, that's probably it. I knew this and still somehow mixed it up. Although it may be possible for nuke plants to go boom when destroyed by fire/earthquake too, but I don't remember if that's ever happened to me either.

But I think you might be missing something from the formula for unhappiness related disasters though. I've gotten improvements destroyed during riots. I remember a particular case of a nuclear plant that blew up just as one of my cities revolted and I got the 'riot' message. Maybe it is a logic exclusive fore nuke plants, or just a coincidence. Unfortunately I can't remember if I've ever gotten another improvement, let's say a factory, knocked down during a riot.

I am sure the Nuke plant failure is not part of the disaster routine I presented in this thread, but I know about it, and it's most likely handled in a different place, in a different way.

I found one more thing: disasters can happen only after game turn 50 (3000 BC normally). On any difficulty.

Reactions: axx
BTW, about Nuclear Plant meltdown event... Conditions are following: 1) civ is the player civ (so no meltdowns in AI cities) 2) civ doesn't know Fusion Power yet 3) city in disorder -> then 1/3 chance of meltdown. Very simple rule. You just need to avoid disorders in a city (you should avoid it anyway if under Democracy).

Last edited:
Reactions: axx
1. For earthquake, the town square on a lone hill still triggers.
2. Check for all disasters is the ability to build building, not the tech.
3. Famine reduces food stocks to zero as well
4. With Medicine, plague still occurs but only reduces food to zero (you can make up reasons in your mind why this is)

Top Bottom