Civ2 Source Code Petition

yaroslav

Emperor
Hi all,

In Apoly we finally have started to work on a petition to Atari to release the source code of Civilization 2, like Activision did with Call The Power 2.

For that porpose, we're collecting the email address of all the petitioners (so Atari will see that we're real people and that the number of petitioners is not somehting we have worked out).

I've started to mantain separate threads for each forum, because I see this a multi-site effort.

Please, let me quote the apolyton thread:

To get the civ2's source code so we can modify it and fix all these minor bugs it has (yes, even the greatest game ever - Civ2 - has some bugs ) has been always a dream of the civ2 community. It's time for us to ask for it to the owners of the source code: Atari.

We're going to seek for a contact in Atari and then sent Atari a list of people who want the source code of Civ2 released. The list of people who have asked for it is in the next post.

How to ask for it:

Please drop me an email to javiermunozk@NOSPAM.eresmas.com

without the nospam, of course (that, is @eresmas.com). I'll update the second post of this thread with your name and I'll keep your email address privately stored in my upload space of Apolyton.

Links

(I'll add more as soon as I'll get them)

Where all started

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115096

Thank you in advance :D

Petitioners so far:

(alphabetically listed, by nickname when it's know)

Apolyton

Academia
ADG
Alex Woehr
Alinestra Covelia
Alva
Angelo Scotto
Arthedain
Asleepathewheel
Atahualpa
Balazs
Boco
Boris Godunov
CapTVK (no email address yet)
Case
Cifer Almasy
Comrade Tassadar
Curtsibling
Cyrion
DarkCloud
DeathBySword
DvR
El Awerence
El leon (no email address yet)
Eli
Elok
Exile (no email address yet)
Fairline
Felix de Montemar
Field Marshall Klesh
Figu
Gatekeeper
GerarDream
GerryAnderson
GoPostal
Greeny
Grrr
Hardjoy
Harry Tuttle
Henrik
HisMajestyBob (no email address yet)
H Tower (no email address yet)
James Kirk
Jasev
Jase17
Jawn Henry
Jim Panse
Juggler
JValdezToo
Kramsib
Kobra/Eivind
Laszlo
Leonidas (no email address yet)
Master Zen
Mercator
Ming
Miroslav
MrWhereItsAt
Nestor
Niessuh
OzzyPK (no email address yet)
Pap1723 (no email address yet)
Patine
pena (no email address yet)
ravagon
Sarsstock (no email address yet)
Shaka Naldur
SCDARS
SlowwHand
SlowThinker
Stefan Härtel
St Leo
Tammader
Tar-Plantir
The Viceroy
Tiemuzhen
Trajanus
Typhoon
UH
Voltar
Vovan
Wernazuma
WhiteBandit
Yaroslav
Xuenay
Zevico
7EA
#endgame

CivFanatics

Alex
AncestralSpark
Aneeshm
Archer 007
Barry Beal
BlackAdder60 (no email address yet)
Cavemanf16
Cd21
Cedric Greene
Chieftess
Croxis
CrtlAltDel
ElephantU
Funxus
Graham
Grisner
Insurgent
JBG
MajorGeneral2
Mr Guy
NexusHyper
ozo
pbg5000
Prometeus (no email address yet - but I know where to find it)
Schmidi
SolarKnight
Souron
subbss
ThePerson
TheViking
Trade-peror
t92300
Wobbebong
Xcare87X
yelahneb
Zonzhal

CDG

Dario1986
Kruger
Pablostuka
Patient English
Sulletje
ZarD

Civilization Center
Fraxinus Exeslcior
Jacon
JaRoSz
Szczurek

Gamecatcher
Kundor
Talar

Unclassified
Adrian
Apostolos
Alex
Cap Petusah
Graham
Kevin
Hanti
Jonellll
Ljube
Marcos
Sergio
Smiklakhani
Zabba149

Please, if you feel I've added you by error tell me and I'll remove you from the list.

Done, Prometeus. Do you have any email address I can give to Firaxis for contacting you if the time come? I want to give them email addresses so they can check we're really interested people - very diffferent from 1 crazy men working out 100 names or so and sending them an email in name of these 100 people ;)

yaroslav said:
Done, Prometeus. Do you have any email address I can give to Firaxis for contacting you if the time come? I want to give them email addresses so they can check we're really interested people - very diffferent from 1 crazy men working out 100 names or so and sending them an email in name of these 100 people ;)

It's on my webpage. :)

I'll get it from there, Prom.

Souron, I'm looking forward to get your email :D

Count me in, check your PMs for my email address

Yeah, why not - I'm in. I'll PM you my email address.

All you have been added :D

Sent you an e-mail.

I know I asked you this in the e-mail but I'll post the question here so that others can be informed:

How is this petition going to work, who are to contacting at Atari and is there a letter or something required?

Sorry, yoshi, my email didn't from since yesterday. I hope it'll be fix tomorrow.

Well, I'm thinking of two strategies: In the first we wrote dirrectly a letter, between all members, and send it to Atari. In the second, we try to get support from Sid itself and Brian Reynolds... What do you think?

Try Sid, Brian and any one else who may be interested first if that fails or succeeds then send it to atari.

Are you going to get more names first? Cause the list at the top of the thread is pretty small (not to much of a petition)

But I thought both Brian and Sid were at Firaxis. It's Atari that owns the rights right?

Perhaps someone lower down in the food chain? Then again, if you think there is a chance that someone at the executive level will take a look at this proposal, I say send it straight to the top. (Though I have no idea how to contact these guys so you're going to have to find out from someone how to get in contact with them.)

Although I would ask the people like Chieftess here at CFC first who are quite savy when it comes to the inner worlkings of the Civilization franchise (and ask Thuderfall too of course).

Either way, I have to agree with t92300, that the list of petitioners is too short. I would suggest a little advertising:

1) Post this petition on the main board at CFC and Poly. (Establish how you are going to go about this first though, because you will probably only get to do this once for this thread.)

2) Inform all other Civ2-related sites of the petition and get them to announce it and perhaps also register and open forum there (if available).

yaroslav, I would open a thread at the Creative Design Group site (www.cdgroup.org) but since you're also registered there perhaps it would be more appropriate if you do it (and get them to annonce it in the main message board).

3) People in the list (or even those not but who feel for us few) should post a link to this thread and the one at Apolyton.

4) Place the petition link(s) in your signatures (I will do so after writing this post).

5) Tell anyone you know to sign the petition letter (if there ever is one) or send yaroslav (or you) an e-mail--even if they don't care what Civ2 is (it still counts as one more petitioner).

6) Any of you who are in the biz can talk to the guys at the 'office' ;) and get them to spread the word--a tad abitious perhaps, but if you're serious...

Well, I can't think of any other way of getting the word out without resorting to outright spamming--something I've gotten into trouble for in the past so I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

BTW, find out how much of the sourcew code is being used in Civ3 because that will rpobably play a big part in the decision.

yoshi said:
But I thought both Brian and Sid were at Firaxis. It's Atari that owns the rights right?

Yes, it's Atari

yoshi said:
Perhaps someone lower down in the food chain? Then again, if you think there is a chance that someone at the executive level will take a look at this proposal, I say send it straight to the top. (Though I have no idea how to contact these guys so you're going to have to find out from someone how to get in contact with them.)

I've no idea about it - thus far, I've only tried to promote the idea... I guess I can speak with Locutus and people on Apoly that got the CTP2 code.

yoshi said:
Although I would ask the people like Chieftess here at CFC first who are quite savy when it comes to the inner worlkings of the Civilization franchise (and ask Thuderfall too of course).

Good idea :b:

Either way, I have to agree with t92300, that the list of petitioners is too short. I would suggest a little advertising:

1) Post this petition on the main board at CFC and Poly. (Establish how you are going to go about this first though, because you will probably only get to do this once for this thread.)

What do you mean with main board? Off-Topic? Or a news item in both sites? Sorry, I think I don't understand you- my english is not perfect :D

2) Inform all other Civ2-related sites of the petition and get them to announce it and perhaps also register and open forum there (if available).

Yes, sezon of CDG said me that he was going to ask in the Polish site, and other people say the same on the German Civ Site. About the Spanish civers, I'll do a little promottion today ;)

yoshi said:
yaroslav, I would open a thread at the Creative Design Group site (www.cdgroup.org) but since you're also registered there perhaps it would be more appropriate if you do it (and get them to annonce it in the main message board).

I opened a thread in CDG some days ago. It's here :D

http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ2/viewtopic.php?t=579

yoshi said:
3) People in the list (or even those not but who feel for us few) should post a link to this thread and the one at Apolyton.

Where

yoshi said:
4) Place the petition link(s) in your signatures (I will do so after writing this post).

Good idea :b:

BTW, find out how much of the sourcew code is being used in Civ3 because that will rpobably play a big part in the decision.

As far as I know, there is no civ2 code into civ3. When Firaxis started to work on Civilization 3, Microprose was still the owner of Civ2's rights.

Top Bottom