[TOT] Civ2 ToT

Rick6819

Chieftain
Just a couple of questions. I downloaded the patcher to let me install Civ2 tot on windows 7. It works but I cant seem to land a space ship. It gets to the screen (text) and just stays there. On other occasions it finishes the game in the early 20th century instead of the year 2020. I win but my score sucks. I dont know if anyone else has had these issues. I've read a few threads but haven't come across these issues.

I asked this same question about arriving at AC and the game ending 4 or 5 years ago and got NO response then and still don't have one. I just re-installed Win7 on my main computer and then installed Civ2Tot into a games folder along with the 1.1 patch followed by the TOTPP patch and it has all kinds of bugs. I get an error message when starting a game telling me I should run @DEBUG because of a problem so I did. If I put it where the manual says to put it all the report says is (chose Events.txt as the events file) which one would assume is what it should choose. However, if I place it under the @initflag line, it tells me there is a (create illegal unit) problem involving the Colonist, says (check spelling). Now, I've been through every text file in my game folder and it's spelled correctly in all instances so I don't know where else to look. I have the Sid Meir's Civ.2 ToT Hasbro edition, still got the box it came in along with everything in the box including the manual along with tech map etc. I have replaced a few things in the rules.txt file. I replaced Abe Lincoln with the name I use in the game and made several wonders non-expiring so I don't have to work as hard getting tech, but conversely if I don't build these wonders it's pretty much game over. And I did all that as soon as I discovered you could, which was way back in 2003 or 4. And I never had a problem until I tried putting the game on this Win7 comp. After uninstalling and re-installing several times I got VMware and created a virtual machine running WinXP and it does the same thing on this computer. I have an 800Mhz comp running XP that I got a new monitor for yesterday which I guess I'll start using instead of the Win7. I'll watch this thread in case someone replies with help, but don't get your hopes up. They claim this is a community but all they seem t want to do is point you at the previous threads which still don't answer the question posted. Luck,dude.

@Rebelstar2 If you're implying that active forum members have encountered your issues and know how to resolve them, but simply don't care enough to spend a few minutes helping you out... well, that certainly doesn't align with my experiences on these forums. I've personally found multiple people here to be very helpful and willing to go out of their way to share a variety of information. It seems far more likely, to me, that none of the active members have ever run into the symptoms you describe, and therefore we don't know what to suggest.

For my part, I'm running Civ2ToT with TOTPP on Windows 7 64-bit, but I've never seen that error message, and I have no problems with the game operation -- I can successfully land space ships. However, I always play the Original game (or one of the many fine scenarios available for download on this site). Which game within Civ2ToT are you and @Rick6819 trying to play: Original, Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Extended Original? Based on what you (@Rebelstar2) wrote above and here, my guess is that you're playing the Extended Original game... is that correct?

At the risk of doing exactly what you said you found frustrating, a Google search eventually turned up this thread which is from about 16 years ago on a different Civ site. It really sounds to me like the original poster there was experiencing symptoms quite similar to those you described. Is any of that discussion helpful to you in diagnosing something about your setup or configuration that could be the issue?

If not, then I'm sincerely sorry, but I honestly don't know what else I can do or say to help you out.

Last edited:
I know that there a ton of folks on this forum that help. I've been coming here for a few years already & never had a reason to join because any question I had already been answered. These issues that I have, I haven't come across.

I asked this same question about arriving at AC and the game ending 4 or 5 years ago and got NO response then and still don't have one. I just re-installed Win7 on my main computer and then installed Civ2Tot into a games folder along with the 1.1 patch followed by the TOTPP patch and it has all kinds of bugs. I get an error message when starting a game telling me I should run @DEBUG because of a problem so I did. If I put it where the manual says to put it all the report says is (chose Events.txt as the events file) which one would assume is what it should choose. However, if I place it under the @initflag line, it tells me there is a (create illegal unit) problem involving the Colonist, says (check spelling). Now, I've been through every text file in my game folder and it's spelled correctly in all instances so I don't know where else to look. I have the Sid Meir's Civ.2 ToT Hasbro edition, still got the box it came in along with everything in the box including the manual along with tech map etc. I have replaced a few things in the rules.txt file. I replaced Abe Lincoln with the name I use in the game and made several wonders non-expiring so I don't have to work as hard getting tech, but conversely if I don't build these wonders it's pretty much game over. And I did all that as soon as I discovered you could, which was way back in 2003 or 4. And I never had a problem until I tried putting the game on this Win7 comp. After uninstalling and re-installing several times I got VMware and created a virtual machine running WinXP and it does the same thing on this computer. I have an 800Mhz comp running XP that I got a new monitor for yesterday which I guess I'll start using instead of the Win7. I'll watch this thread in case someone replies with help, but don't get your hopes up. They claim this is a community but all they seem t want to do is point you at the previous threads which still don't answer the question posted. Luck,dude.
Yes, I play the eo version and never had a problem on any other computer. After changing the order in the events.txt file I got the colonist error fixed. Any one having the problem with no colonist upon arrival at AC should check their events file and verify where it says create unit=colonist. the next line in my events had that and the owner=trigger attacker transposed. Before installing the nolimits patch this is not so. Yet, this is the same patch I downloaded years ago. I've played this game using the same disc since 2001 or 2. Never had a problem till now. In checking to see if my "fix" worked I got to AC but still didn't get a map for AC, but the game didn't just end because I also included the GameOverride line in the file. I suspect that this was caused by the change to the map line in events.txt I also made, I.E. 1 to 0 because the error report said that value was out of range. I have since changed it back but haven't gotten to the end game in the current game I'm in. Still it would have been nice if someone would have responded all those years ago with my original post, as you did now. Getting no response at all is downheartening to say the least. At least you didn't call me a fool, or lot's of other things I can think of. Thanks for at least responding this time.

Top Bottom