Civ2units 1453 scenario with LUA and ToTPP 0.15

civ2units

Emperor
After releasing my AWI scenario I'm planning to design a new scenario. This time it will be a typically Civilization 2 game with technology research, government switching and unit upgrading.

What I´m planning is to set up a scenario in Europe, starting in the year 1453 and ending in 1600. With the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire a new time started and Europe went into the Renaissance. Old warfare with Knights and Swordsmen will be replaced by modern warfare with gunpowder and Cannons. Famous conflicts during that time period like the War of the Roses, the 80 Years War or the Ottoman march towards Vienna will be represented. Also many upcomming social conflicts like the Reformation will appear. It's a time where the old world stepped into a new modern world.

Nearly all civs will be playable. Currently I´m planning with the following civs:
- Holy Roman Empire
- Kingdom of England
- Kingdom of Spain
- Kingdom of France
- Ottoman Empire
- Grand Duchy of Moscow/Kingdom of Russia
- Independent States (not playable)

This is the map which I would like to use for the scenario:
Europe_1453.PNG

And of course I will also try to use the possibilities of LUA scripting for this scenario.:)

This sounds very interesting :thumbsup:

great time period if you want to represent massive societal and technological changes and also a whole host of religious and secular wars. How will you represent the onset of colonialism and the changes it brought to the Portuguese and Spanish in particular given that the Americas aren't on the map?

My first idea was to use the following map, as it covers parts of America for representing the beginning of the colonial era. On the other hand I would like to concentrate on the European battlefield and therefore the map is in my opinion too small. So I decided to use the Europe only map in hope to represent colonialism via LUA scripts. I have some ideas in mind, but I'm not sure if they could be realized with LUA. But colonialism should play a role for the Spanish Empire.

Map_Europe_America.PNG

Most of the wars during that time period can be realized with the macro language from Microprose. But I will also have a look at JPetroski's Cold War scenario to see what's all possible with LUA.

All wondres are built at the beginning of the scenario. But most of them are located in cities controlled by the Independent States civ. So if the player would like to controll powerfull wonders he has to attack the cities. Depending on what city is attacked, it can trigger a greater war.

These are the wonders I'm using:
List_of_Wonders.PNG

Beside my AWI scenario I'm still working on this project too. I've a lot of ideas in mind but I think I will use different maps, depending for which nation the scenario will be designed. For example, a scenario about Germany during the reformation until the 30 years war don't need a map which covers parts of the new world.

I'm thinking about different scenarios for every specific nation, starting in the year 1453 and ending in 1650. These are the scenarios I've in mind so far:
- Ottoman Empire 1453 => You play as the Ottomans right after the fall of the Byzantine Empire and your goal is to establish the Ottoman Empire.
- Spanish Empire 1492 => You play as Spain right after Columbus discovered the New World. Your goal is to colonize the New World and establishing the Habsburgian Spanish Empire
- Holy Roman Empire 1565 => You play as the Holy Roman Empire some years before the outbreak of the 80 years war. During that time, the Protestant League will get stronger and will lead into the 30 years war. Your goal is to unify the german territories under one religion and preventing the Dutch independence.

Playing as the Ottoman Empire:
upload_2021-1-3_11-50-25.png

You start with some cities in anatolia, surrounded by Barbarian cities. Your goal is to conquer the Middle East, Balkan and North Africa.
Currently I'm planning with this nations:
- Ottoman Empire (only playable)
- Mamluk Sultanate
- Holy Roman Empire
- Kingdom of Spain
- Eastern Europe Nations
- Independent Nations
- Italian Nations

Playing with the Spanish Empire:
Spanish_Map.png

You start with some cities on the Iberian Peninsular. The Catalan region, Andalusia and Portugal is controlled by the AI at the start of the scenario.
- Spanish Empire (only playable)
- Kingdom of France
- Kingdom of England
- Aztec Empire
- Independent Christian Nations
- Independent Muslimic Nations
- Kingdom of Portugal

Playing as the Holy Roman Empire
upload_2021-1-3_11-58-31.jpeg

You start with some cities in Austria and the Netherlands. Your goal is to prevent Dutch independence and unifying the German states into one religion.
- Holy Roman Empire (only playable)
- Protestant League
- Kingdom of France
- Minor German States
- Republic of the Netherlands
- Scandinavian Nations
- Orthodox Nations

I'm liking that map of Germany. Would you mind posting it so I can tuck it away in case I ever rebuild Germanicus from scratch?

Your map drawing is seriously talented. I have always been impressed with how well you do them. I always struggle with map drawing. What is your process?

Your map drawing is seriously talented. I have always been impressed with how well you do them. I always struggle with map drawing. What is your process?

Oh, these maps are not made by myself. I found them on sites like Civfanatics and Apolyton. Unfortunatelly I don't know who actually drawn the maps.
If someone knows it, let me know please. I would like to credit the creator of the maps in my scenarios.

I've played some single player turns of JPetroski's Cold War scenario with the US, just to understand how the LUA mechanics working together and I'm very exciting what's possible.
Your scenario is real good and marking a new milestone for scenario designs.:thumbsup:

If you allow, I would like to use some of the LUA mechanics in my own scenario. But I would also like to know, what you all think about my idea for the scenario, as I need help for programming the LUA codes and don't want to have a lot of work for everyone who's helping me if there isn't much interest on a scenario like this. I would like to make the 1453 scenario a little bit like JPetroski's Cold War scenario but it shouldn't be a copy just settled in another time period. I really like the mechanics of buying specific units from another civ, also the possibility of inciting revolutions in foreign countries.

So here are my ideas I have in mind:
This should be Spain at the start of the scneario in 1453:
upload_2021-1-24_12-6-38.png

Spain is represented by the Kingdom of Castille. The white civ represents the Kingdom of Arragon, the green civ the Emirate of Granada, the orange civ the Kingdom of Portugal.
At some point the player should get the possibility to unify Spain into the Kingdom of Spain by arranging a marriage between the crowns of Castille and Arragon. LUA should asking the player, if he agrees.
If yes, he has to pay the marriage and the cities belonging to the Kingdom of Arragon should change to the player's civ. In this case, it wouldn't trigger a war with another civ. But in another case, it could maybe trigger a war.

I would also like to use the buying units mechanics from JPetroski's Cold War scenario. Heavy battleships like Galleons and Warships can only bought. Same for powerful units.

These are just some ideas I have in might. Please let me know what you all think about it. Do you think, this would be just a copy of the Cold War scenario? Is there any interest to play such a scenario?

You're free to use anything I did and build on it. I do think the rebelspawn mechanism might work well for interactions with minor powers/natives. You don't need to limit yourself to units, either. You could have a range of potential interactions to address.

My first idea was to use the following map, as it covers parts of America for representing the beginning of the colonial era. On the other hand I would like to concentrate on the European battlefield and therefore the map is in my opinion too small. So I decided to use the Europe only map in hope to represent colonialism via LUA scripts. I have some ideas in mind, but I'm not sure if they could be realized with LUA. But colonialism should play a role for the Spanish Empire.

Perhaps to add some colonialism aspect to the game, you could still use the Europe map, but add a sliver of land on the far west side.

I would strongly recommend making sure the game will work well as a single player single player scenario. Aside from anything else, it is much easier to balance. With 4-6 human players, balance isn't so crucial, but it becomes much harder to actually get a game together.

I don't want to take on any sort of 'lead developer' role at the moment, but I am willing to add modules the template, or write one or two features specifically for your scenario. I wrote weapon sales specifically for Cold War. You might be able to convert it directly, but you'd have to do it line by line, since I didn't write it to be reusable. Given the different context, you might want a somewhat different mechanism anyway.

Perhaps to add some colonialism aspect to the game, you could still use the Europe map, but add a sliver of land on the far west side.

I will go with this map, as the scenario should be a build up an empire game. Europe is big enough to represent the major conflicts during that time period and allows me to use a good map of the western colonies in Central and North America.

Top Bottom