Civ3 Complete (Steam)+No Raze

tiomat

Chieftain
Long winded, but am not sure if the 2nd issue is related to the 1st one or not.

A couple points of note. I'm playing the Civ3Complete version that I bought through Steam. I do not know what version of it I'm running. I read somewhere that Steam auto updates it (no clue if that's true or whatnot).

Sorry in advance for being a noob.

So I'm having an issue, and I'm hoping that you lovely people can help me resolve it. I like playing on massive maps. I recently I downloaded "Phillipp's huge EM" map of western Europe. Then I built up the civs with towns, units and whatnot (yay for Civ3ConquestEdit). I was a little lazy here, but w/e. And I can play it with the Steam version just fine (none of the below Issues) - it would just be nice if the AI wouldn't constantly raze towns. But... there's a patch/crack for that... so I try it (well the one version that doesn't complain about where the CD is) - I'm not sure about the version, but size wise, it's 3.23MB.The one that will not run is 4.36MB.

First issue:
The game will launch and I can start the scenario just fine... however some of the text things are off. Like I cannot contact the city governor (this is my biggest issue). I read on here that I needed to add "unknown" in the label's txt file, however when I looked, it's already there. Not being too sure how to deal with this, I downloaded the Thrid World War 1989 scenario by AnthonyBoscia (which I can see he put a TON of work into), and used his folder structure as the basis to move forward.

So I resolved the first issue by copying the labels file (both the normal one and the steam one) from AnthonyBoscia. I also had to create folders for the scenario like what AB did. Kind of a pain, but whatever... In that folder, I put in the following folders, taken from the conquests folder of civ3:

civ3 complete/conquests/art
civ3 complete/conquests/sounds
civ3 complete/conquests/Text (modified with the other text files as already mentioned)

The game plays, and everything looks great.

Second issue:
Now while playing, I'm now constantly getting a white screen with the win7 cursor/circle on it. The whole screen goes white, and then whatever action is going on (usually a battle) ends. Sometimes this takes 2-10 seconds, othertimes it takes up to 30 seconds. It usually happens when there's a battle going on and one of the units die's. However there will be times when I do not see anything until it's my turn again.

I haven't found a solution for this... nor do I know what exactly the issue is. I'm not sure if my two issues are related or not. Again, sorry for being a noob.

* * * * * * * *​

Basically all I want is a massive massive Western European map that I can max out the cities on and play with the no raze patch, as I hate it when AI's destroy perfectly placed cities. And unfortunately I know that it takes a ton of time to put together a map and a scenario... and thus while I'm willing to tinker with one, I do not really actually want to create one from scratch. And really there's no need to, when this map "Phillipp's huge EM" covers everything I want - I just need to alter the civ's a little and fill in the map with cities and such.

Maybe I should just ditch the Steam version of the game and go find one of my cd versions I purchased the full version at least twice over the years... have just moved a few times and not completely sure where they are in my storage unit and it's -17 outside)... not sure if that will resolve my issue(s) or not.

Thanks for any help.

Looks like I spoke too soon about the game playing well... I get to the industrial ages, and things are okay... until I open a city and when I open the build window, and scroll down past Musketeer, I get a "civ 3 not responding" windows error, and the game crashes. Happens with both the no raze patch and with the normal civ3.exe. So I assume I messed something up somewhere - just not sure what would give me an error like that. The only things I've messed with are those listed above. Prior to making those changes (and a couple very minor in game ones), I played out over 150 turns well into the industrial ages with no issues - other than the damn AI constantly razing perfectly placed cities.

Top Bottom