• Giga Map of Middle Earth by Private Byrne

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Western US Map by Balthasar

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Final Earth Map by Marla Singer

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be honest I think these are really poor choices. Even my own map is far from the best map I've done. Who nominated me?

(I haven't really been following this competition at all)

To be honest I think these are really poor choices. Even my own map is far from the best map I've done. Who nominated me?

That would be Rob (R8XFT). I actually think the map choices presented here aren't bad at all; I nominated my own Old West map, for instance, to reward myself for the 100+ hours I put into making sure it's accurate and playable.

All the more reason, Yoda Power, to make sure that your own choices are posted in the 2nd Nominations thread. I'm sure you appreciate how difficult it is to get a contest like this off the ground around here; even though the Anniversary forum has existed since June, and the 1st nominations thread was open through all of July, very little attention was paid to this until the first set of polls came out -

Now that you've found us, we value your future contributions.

Fair answer. Sadly I'm pretty busy, and hardly that interested in this competition, so I'm probably not going to spend time on this.

I agree the choices were poor, sorry I missed the vote. I would have added TETs 256 map.

I don't really like Marla Singers map as I found too many errors in it. El Menceys map is nearly perfect, except the City Limit bug renders it unplayable (to me), so I had to exclude that too.

Balthasars Western US Map is very good an innovative, and does cater to my location and taste, so that has my vote.

City limits have been broken, with a modified .exe, if I recall correctly. El Mencey's map is almost perfect, I agree, and that's why I nominated it and why I use it.

City limits have been broken, with a modified .exe, if I recall correctly. El Mencey's map is almost perfect, I agree, and that's why I nominated it and why I use it.

City limits have been broken for human players only. AI still stops at 512, at least in the many tests I've done (and I used El Menceys for the tests). If you want to discuss it further, we can continue this talk on that NCL thread. I've already posted my tests there, and I don't want to derail this thread :)

I do agree it is a beautiful piece of art, I just wish I could use it.

To be honest I think these are really poor choices. ...
Fair answer. Sadly I'm pretty busy, and hardly that interested in this competition, so I'm probably not going to spend time on this.
If it's not worth participation it's probably not worth criticism.

El Mencey's 362x326 Earth Map, Customized for DYP, RAR by El Mencey & Cheezy the Wiz

El Mencey's map, that´s okay as it is one of the most spectecular and he did the work on that map (so I prefer another earth map). But Cheezy the Wiz ??? :eek: :trouble:

BtW: The linked link in El Mencey's map seems to be broken.

El Mencey's map, that´s okay as it is one of the most spectecular and he did the work on that map (so I prefer another earth map). But Cheezy the Wiz ??? :eek: :trouble:

BtW: The linked link in El Mencey's map seems to be broken.

Cheezy's version was the nominated map. Thanks for pointing out the bad link, Civinator. I've fixed it.

If it's not worth participation it's probably not worth criticism.

I'm not allowed to critize a competition where some of my own work are included?

Then I'd rather have any of my nominations withdrawn. I don't mind competitions, but I never asked to be part of this one.

I am not sure now (although i used to be a proponent of this view) if we should be allowed to nominate our own work anymore. Maybe now that it has started i cannot change (?) but it has some drawbacks too. The obvious advantage is that you do not need to rely on others so as to submit what in your view is your best work. On the other hand it seems that the popular sentiment is quite wise, so it can be trusted to a degree to nominate the worthy adversaries.

I am not voting in this poll because i do not want to vote for my own map seeing it got no votes up to now, and do not really know the other maps all that well...

Edted:

Post deleted as it is no longer needed

It is El Mencey who is receiving the recognition, moreso than Cheezy.

My exact nomination was "Best Map: El Mencey'ss [sic] Giga World Map"

Moderator Action: Poll threads are inappropriate places to discuss problems with the whole anniversary celebration, problems with specific members, or anything beyond why you voted for a particular creation. There are other threads for other kinds of posts. If there is an error in the listed names either pm Balthasar or a moderator. Everyone please do your best to keep things friendly in this and all the poll threads.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Nevertheless, although Blue Monkey is right, and criticisms should be made in the discussions thread, I've decided that your argument is compelling, Civinator, and, since El Mency definitely made the underlying map anyway (and as Quinzy notes, it was nominated that way as well) I've changed the listing to refer to it only as El Mency's map. The votes remain valid because the map, not the modifications, are what we've been voting on anyway.

Now if someone find me a clean link to a download of Mency's original map, I think we can put this controversy to rest.

Top Bottom