Civ3 screenshots & Info from PC GamePlay!

Originally posted by TimTheEnchanter:
I assume the reason for cutting the number of civs was the resources required to come up with things like the super-duper-3-D-wiz-bang-transmogrifiying-animated leaders like Abe and Mao. I find this unfortunate because I honestly question how much they will improve gameplay and...well, I still think they look like they have serious G-I tract issues.

Ugh! That's a valid hypothesis . . . personally, I would gladly do without those constipated zombie figures if it meant their removal would let us keep all our civs. (Actually, I could do without them anyway.) In fact, I would be more than happy for diplomacy to be reduced to text-only with no images at all if they would give us more civs to deal with. Let the graphics take a backseat to gameplay, please!

Lots of good stuff to think about in that article.

I like the idea of armies - hopefully it will allow for combined arms combat as well (e.g. cavalry and infantry being better than cavalry alone)

Really like the different wonders - I always thought it was wrong that when one civ builds Manhattan or Apollo, everyone benefits. Now you can have a real space/arms race.

Not sure about this Corporate victory though - sounds a bit like they've been reading too much anti-globalisation stuff. Maybe it combines with the idea of getting interest on your money. Could investment be a part of the game now? Could be interesting - and I always thought it odd that modern governments would still have huge piles of gold sitting around.

Like the barbarians idea - hopefully it means that they'll stop popping up in the end game right in the middle of your territory. Will it be possible to talk to/trade with them, to get them to oppose your enemies? Something like the Roman Empire did (for all the good it did them)

Anything they can do to reduce the number of clicks required has to be good. It's a real disincentive to increase your luxury rate knowing that you'll have to go through 30 announcements of WLTP days!

Trade and luxury stuff sounds interesting, but I'd have to see how it works.

I'm not sure about this unique units idea - after all, an impi is no match for a panzer! But I like the way it works in the TOT scenarios.

I agree with what people have said about not needing improved graphics for diplomacy - what's the point if they're all going to gang up on you anyway?

Welcome aboard Supernaut, I see that you are our newest fanatic. Good post one before this, intelligent, on topic and adding something new to the discussion. I hope you stay around and post some more. I see that you are replying in my ranged attacks thread I wonder what you will make of it................

I know a lot of you hate how the graphics are one of the main priorities for Firaxis and think they're spending too much time on it, but a lot of people won't care about Civ3 if the graphics suck. Sure there's thousands of experienced Civ players, but there's also people who look at the game box and go "Wow, the graphics are awesoem. I'm buying it"

There has to be graphics good enough to compete with games like Red Alert 2 etc.

do you think it will be possible to take out a civ in one turn with nukes?

I believe that they will most likely try to fit the game on to a reqular 700 MB CD which would explain why they have to cut civs if they want to put the graphics in. If they are using CD's why not produce on DVD which gives you 2.6 GB single side or 5.2 double side which would give them more than enough room to keep the graphics and current number of civs and room for more.

As far as the screen shots they look good with the exception of civ colors and irrigation. I can't wait to get my hands on a pre-release demo.

Maybe they will leave only such civ like american, canadian, brasilian, english and other countries where they expect to sell most copies of the game...

i agree with who ever said 'CIV IS NOT AOE!'
i mean, those beaches, sure they look cool, but they are not nessecsary, and that irragation looks GAY. i dunno, i don't want to have to get a better computer to run c3.

One of many things I liked in Standart Civ and in CivII was the some units for all civs. By the way, playing Civ, you are building new, and independent History. And was Germans able to discover Panzer Tanks in other variant of history? No, no and no. So this feature we don't need. What we need is a, bigger amount of civs and bigger amount of one game civs.

Come on SCORCH! A great discusion about a game we all love and have in common; and you have to use phrases like "irragation looks GAY."
-Please be more responsible with your choice of words, no need to offend anyone whether intentionally or through ignorance.
..now bring on CIVIII!!!
Peter.

Top Bottom