Civ5 is starting to look much more polished

AI issues still remain, lackluster Diplomacy, no trade value.

Civ5 is starting to look much more polished

I would liken the incredible naivite behind this statement to the current tragedy in Japan: The Fukushima situation is starting to look much more polished.

And yes, I'm one of the people who actually like the game. Not going to call it any sort of 'polished' for that reason, though. A turd is a turd, with ridiculous AI, atrocious multiplayer and bugs galore.

"more polished" is a relative term. I'd be hard pressed to say the patch didn't make the game a lot more balanced in SOME regards.

It's a cup-half-empty/cup-half-full situation. Would it be more accurate to say "made the game less horsehockey?" Different semantics same meaning.

If you look at the game in its current state objectively, without the negative hyperbole and Civ4 nostalgia, it's a decent and polished game. It works fine. Never had a crash and I'm having good fun. Can't wait to get home from work to kick Caesars's butt.

That being said, there is a lot of room for improvement and I'm looking forward to the expansion pack and future patches.

Nothing in life can please everyone but saying that the game is a "turd" is exaggeration. It's still one of the best selling games on Steam and also one of the most active ones. If it really was as horrible and broken as some people on this board suggest, no one would be playing it.

I entirely agree with you there. The diplomatic victory is poor. I believe the real problem with quests is that sooner or later they all end up being "wipe this city state out", which the AI (and I) very rarely do because its not worth the larger repercussions. I would like to see more of the "hook up this or this resource", because that would force you to actually be diplomatic with other civs. I also think having a "gift us this unit" quest could be quite interesting and easy although still a considerable investment. I also think a nice quest could be "become friends with City State X", which could lead to some interesting dynamics. More importantly, they need to have a time limit of maybe 60-80 turns, so that the games doesnt get stuck on quests that arent worth it.

Lastly, the amount of gold you need to buy influence should increase with eras to balance it out. In the early eras it needs to be reduced, because at the moment theres no point in killing barbs for city states because the influence never goes high enough to make a difference for long. Gold should be the last measure to increase influence; not the main one.

These are some great ideas, +1 to you.

I'm finding building much more fun now, seems better balanced. Also turn times seem much improved since the last patch. I'd love the next patch to focus on sorting the myriad of diplomacy issues, they're my personal bugbear, even more than the poor AI. But generally they (Firaxis) do seem to be trying to fix things and gradually heading in the right direction with this game. I even bought the DLC yesterday which I'd held off on until they showed they were trying to improve the game. It's by no means perfect, but definitely better than at release by a reasonable margin.

Top Bottom