Civ6 runs in 'Below Normal' priority

GrumboMumbo

Warlord
For me and my friends, windows always runs Civ6 in 'below normal' priority mode. Before the most recent Music Bug fix update you could change this by going into task manager while running the game, clicking on the 'details' tab, right click on 'sid meier's civ6...' and 'set priority' to 'Normal' or maybe even 'High' priority if we felt like it. But unfortunately after the most recent update, none of us are able to do this anymore. You can still click to set the priority, but as soon as you alt tab back into the game, it instantly reverts back to low priority mode.

I am asking because I would like to see if anyone can please confirm if this happens to you also?

The reason this is an issue is because running the game in 'Below Normal' priority causes constant multiplayer desyncs and turn loading issues. I am also quite certain that running in low priority makes single player AI turns go slower than they should, because the PC is not prioritizing the civ6 application. If this is happening to everyone, then it is likely wasting a lot of peoples time waiting on AI turns to roll over because it is not utilizing the full power of your PC.

edit: 2k have now said they will pass this on to the necessary people who can look into the issue, so here's hoping it can get resolved.

Last edited:
Wow, I should check this. I recently noticed that Civ6 is only using about 1% CPU while playing. Maybe this is why?

I just checked my CPU usage in game, and it seems to mostly range between 30%-50%. I don't know if this is normal, but seems ok to me.

Here is the video I sent to 2k to show the issue, not that it is hard to find on task manager, but might help:

Interesting. If that's the case for most people and not just some Windows setting, they definitely should fix this in an upcoming patch. I prefer not to fiddle too much myself with how a game wants to run.

I just checked my CPU usage in game, and it seems to mostly range between 30%-50%. I don't know if this is normal, but seems ok to me.
This is strange. When I check CPU usage via the Xbox game bar (win-g), it only shows 1-3% CPU. Task manager shows 25%.

This is strange. When I check CPU usage via the Xbox game bar (win-g), it only shows 1-3% CPU. Task manager shows 25%.
I just checked, for me the Game Bar shows roughly 1-10% with it sitting at 5% mostly. Not really sure what to trust anymore

Top Bottom