Where's the joy in civ6?

And really, GaaS definition is so that you can't continue playing if you don't purchase anything ?
Poorly phrasing but GaaS are designed to get players to constantly spend money on the game. You can play Fortnite for free and never spend any money on it but your experience of the game is going to be significantly different from someone spending a lot of money on it. I think the Paradox GSG are actually kind of a good example of this. You can just buy the base game, and there are free updates, but all of the really interesting stuff you have to pay for and, at some point, the base game is just going to get boring without more content, pushing you to spend money to buy the DLC. So yes, on the one hand you don't literally have to spend money to keep playing the game but, on the other hand, the games are design around getting the player to spend as much money as possible.

Personally, when a game's business model is based around constantly extracting money from the player, I don't think the distinction of having to spend more money or not is worth making.

Well in the wikipedia definition of GaaS we can find this type of GaaS :

Season passesGames with season passes provide one or more large content updates over the course of about a year, or a "season" in these terms. Players must buy into a season pass to access this new content; the game remains playable if players do not purchase the season pass and do gain benefit of core improvements to the game, but they are unable to access new maps, weapons, quests, game modes, or other gameplay elements without this content. Games like Destiny and its sequel and Anno 1800 use this season pass approach. A related concept is the battle pass which provides new customization options that a player can earn by completing challenges in a game, but only if they have bought into the battle pass; content on a battle pass is typically only obtainable during a limited time. Battle passes can be seen in games such as Dota 2, Rocket League, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and Fortnite Battle Royale.

I think Civ6 is approaching the season pass with its leaders pass and the like. We could see Civ7 being a real GaaS it's not impossible. Although I think the multiplayer aspect should be emphasised to really work, and with success because AFAIK multiplayer in Civ is quite marginal.

For example, Fortnite. Basically, they are games that require constant purchases to keep playing.
The reason there was a period without constant purchases is because of technical limitation. The original Pac-Man or Donkey Kong arcade game required you to keep putting quarters in to play. After that was the era of home PC's and consoles. It is with wide spread availability of fast internet things are moving back in the direction of "constant" purchasing.

Also, technically, "Something As A Service" means you are paying recurring fee for access something hosted outside of your premises. Salesforce is the classic example.

I think Civ6 is approaching the season pass with its leaders pass and the like.
Maybe! I think the NFP was clearly an attempt at doing something like a Season Pass but its also clearly just a regular DLC broken up into separate pieces. I don't think Civ will ever be able to really transition completely to GaaS model because big mechanical changes really do need to be introduced in a proper DLC but I could see things like the Leader Pass used in-between major DLC releases.

The AI also absolutely sucks managing navies. Most leaders, even Hardrada, barely build large navies, and almost never build venetian. From what I've seen, the AI doesn't even group ships into fleets like it did in 5 and prefers to just mass ships off its coast.
Your comment made me realize that, in my hundreds of hours of Civ 6, I have never seen an AI “navy”. I have recently started playing Civ 5, and in my second game, I stumbled into Rome’s large fleet of ships and troops making their way across the ocean toward my capital. It was rather exciting! I had to immediately prepare for the invasion and redirect my ships to intercept. I will never forget that moment.

I enjoy many of the changes in Civ6 but for some reason whenever I play I just find myself annoyed. I used to complain about how Civ5 was so streamlined. But despite this supposed deficiency it's actually a satisfying experience.
The streamlined experience is exactly why I am now enjoying Civ 5, having played three games to completion in the past two week, while I have a half-dozen partial games of Civ 6. The micro-management in Civ 6 becomes more work than fun.

Look at Civ 4 or Civ 5 and compare them with Civ 6. The latter is much more boardgame like from its systems (the district puzzle and emphasis on maximizing adjacencies and tile yields) to its UI (policy cards).

When we complain about about the game being boardgame like, we generally are advocating for a return to more immersive and less gamey systems.
I have come to believe that Civ 5 is an empire-building game. Civ 6, however, is a city-building puzzle game. Play Civ 6 if you want to play “Sim City”. Play Civ 5 if you want to play “Civilization”.

What I find most ironic is that this thread is located in the Civ6 forum, and not the Civ5 forum.

What I find most ironic is that this thread is located in the Civ6 forum, and not the Civ5 forum.
Why Civ5? It's not like that is the favourite iteration, or the biggest source of, "Civ joy," for EVERYONE posting here, either.

Moderator Action: If you have an issue with where a thread is located, please report it so the staff can have a look. Now back to the thread topic please.

Why Civ5? It's not like that is the favourite iteration, or the biggest source of, "Civ joy," for EVERYONE posting here, either.
Civ5 got more love in this thread than Civ6 did, IMO.

Civ5 got more love in this thread than Civ6 did, IMO.
I've seen Civ 4 get even more love. I wouldn't be surprised if they get more love in Civ 5 thread too, or the whole forum.
Since this topic is about Civ 6 I have no problem with it being here. And I find more joy in Civ 6 than 5, personally.

Still, not unamamous to justify the post above.
At it's very best it can't be unanimous, because this is the Civ 6 forum, not the Civ 5 forum.

I've seen Civ 4 get even more love. I wouldn't be surprised if they get more love in Civ 5 thread too, or the whole forum.
Since this topic is about Civ 6 I have no problem with it being here. And I find more joy in Civ 6 than 5, personally.
I'm not complaining about the location of the thread. I was just surprised that Civ 6 didn't get more love, being that this is the Civ 6 forum.

Top Bottom