CivAssist II

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

Adding more info...

I downloaded both versions of Civassist II. Nothing I tried got the newer one (v2.0.6, from 2016) to "see" Civ running.

With the older one, 2.0.5, release date 2006, I installed it, and it could tell that Civ was running. However, trying to load saves (or end the turn in-game) would cause it to crash.

I ended up deleting my Civ VirtualStore directory. Running both Civ and CA as Admin seem to be working ... fingers crossed!

I'm using my old C3C CD version of Civ (with CCM).

OT, for @Elephantium -

Ashes & Snow-1.jpg

I miss CA2. Never was able to get it running on my system. :(

Short version: The above information from Toxicman007 is correct: The older version of CivAssist is the one that will work under Windows 10. I had previously tried to use the newer version and nothing worked. I could get it to see the save files but never to open them. However after installing the old version everything worked as advertised.

Long version: I will now write a longer explanation for people like me who are not very technically savvy and need the steps clearly outlined. These are the steps I followed:
- open the download link (the one from the first page of the thread - this one: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civassist-ii.21/ )
- click on "version history" and select the lower option (the one with release date "Jul 26, 2006")
- it will download an installer. Run it and let the program install itself. Then let it install the .net framework when prompted
- right click on the installed CivAssist.exe (or on its shortcut if you created one) and choose "run as administrator" just to make sure. Once it opens, click on "file" to check that it sees your existing save files (it did for me).
- after starting CivAssist, start a game of Civilization 3 and you should see the CivAssist icon in game, with information from your latest autosave.

Thank you!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've re-registered on this site (old account was tied to a long-gone email account) just to say that to you. Though no doubt I'll continue to be around on this excellent site...

CivIII is just not the same without CivAssist. I searched for so long trying to figure this problem out, until I found your post. It deserves stickying.

The newer version gave me constant errors like "Parameter path1 cannot be NULL", "Access blocked" when opening a file, and wouldn't work in Lookout mode at all. The "Access blocked" problem was just untraceable: neither Windows logs nor BitDefender (the other possible culprit) had any record of any denied attempted access at the OS/antivirus level.

Now that I've downloaded the old version, I am a happy CIV-er!

CIV and CivAssist installed well outside the Windows or Program Files pain-zone, of course (in fact, on a different drive from the OS).

:)

I tried it again & no dice. :(

Well, if you really want to get it running, get Windows XP! ;)

I would have like to seen a few of the best programs on this thread have had their source on github. Then maybe someone could be updated to current OS's.

It is a shame that they are not able to be used by so many fans. It would also be an ongoing tribute to all the effort that was put into the apps. It is not like it would hurt Firaxis to have
some of their stuff out in the world. It is 20 years and 4,5,6 and soon to 7, 4 versions ago.

Once Win11 is forced on us, we may have to get an XP box going. I just don't know where I could fit another PC, now that the boss works from home.

Edit: the last big Win10 update (maybe dec) broke my versions auto update.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've re-registered on this site (old account was tied to a long-gone email account) just to say that to you. Though no doubt I'll continue to be around on this excellent site...

CivIII is just not the same without CivAssist. I searched for so long trying to figure this problem out, until I found your post. It deserves stickying.

The newer version gave me constant errors like "Parameter path1 cannot be NULL", "Access blocked" when opening a file, and wouldn't work in Lookout mode at all. The "Access blocked" problem was just untraceable: neither Windows logs nor BitDefender (the other possible culprit) had any record of any denied attempted access at the OS/antivirus level.

Now that I've downloaded the old version, I am a happy CIV-er!

CIV and CivAssist installed well outside the Windows or Program Files pain-zone, of course (in fact, on a different drive from the OS).

:)
Thank you for the kind words. I am honored by them and glad that I could help.
Happy empire building!

Does anyone know of an updated Help file for CAII?

I've got a bookmark on this web address: gotm.civfanatics.net/civassist/help/introduction.htm

It's slightly annoying, as it opens in a popup and has no browser Back/Forward buttons or navigation buttons on the page. But I can live with that.

It seems to be about a previous version, however. For example, on the Cities view, there's a lot there that's not documented in this Help:
  1. some of the city Sizes are in red, with a *. That seems to apply to 6-towns with no Aqueduct, or 12-cities with no Hospital. But why are metros >12 also showing this * ? A bug?
  2. There's a useful-looking Pollution column - but I can't figure out what it means
The Territory View help is also outdated. I think the cities listing at the bottom includes sea squares in its "Unimproved" count, but I'm not sure.

I would love to contribute to making CAII even better (can code in VB, also some C#), but AFAIK it's not open source.

some of the city Sizes are in red, with a *. That seems to apply to 6-towns with no Aqueduct, or 12-cities with no Hospital. But why are metros >12 also showing this * ? A bug?
I think the asterisk might actually be a tag for "Wasting food".

So it not only applies to Pop6 Towns and Pop12 Cities which currently lack a Duct/Hospital, but are nonetheless harvesting net-positive food, but also to Metros harvesting a net food amount which will exceed the food-box storage capacity.
There's a useful-looking Pollution column - but I can't figure out what it means
Once towns contain population points above the Size-2 cap (=Pop12 in the epic game), or pollution-generating buildings, the in-game city-screen will start showing pollution-icons (1 icon per pop-point over Pop12; building-pollution is based on the .biq-setting for that building, e.g. Factories add 2 icons).

The "Pollution" column in CAII (presumably) shows total-pollution-icon data for each town.

Hi everyone! I am a long time fan of the Civilization series (and long time lurker on these forums). I recently, due to the current events, found myself with a lot of free time and decided to go back to playing Civ 3 after a gap of many years, and today I was for the first time able to get CivAssist to run under Windows 10. So being still euphoric after this succes I finally decided to sign up on the forums to report it.

Short version: The above information from Toxicman007 is correct: The older version of CivAssist is the one that will work under Windows 10. I had previously tried to use the newer version and nothing worked. I could get it to see the save files but never to open them. However after installing the old version everything worked as advertised.

Long version: I will now write a longer explanation for people like me who are not very technically savvy and need the steps clearly outlined. These are the steps I followed:
- open the download link (the one from the first page of the thread - this one: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civassist-ii.21/ )
- click on "version history" and select the lower option (the one with release date "Jul 26, 2006")
- it will download an installer. Run it and let the program install itself. Then let it install the .net framework when prompted
- right click on the installed CivAssist.exe (or on its shortcut if you created one) and choose "run as administrator" just to make sure. Once it opens, click on "file" to check that it sees your existing save files (it did for me).
- after starting CivAssist, start a game of Civilization 3 and you should see the CivAssist icon in game, with information from your latest autosave.

In summary, this is what I did and it worked for me. From the above conversation I understand that for some users this utility may not work at all under windows 10. But if you are reading this thread and think you are one of the lucky ones this is the way to find out.

Some more info:
- I have the Steam version of Civ3 Complete
- I use Windows 10 (obviously) and I have reinstalled Windows about a month ago, so it is a relatively clean install
- A curious thing about the .net framework: I tried to manually download it and was told that I allready have the latest version on my computer and that no older versions can be installed. However, when running the CivAssist installer, it promplted me to install the .net framework (I think it was asking for an older version), I clicked "Yes" and it did its thing without any issue.

I hope this information will help at least someone.

Best regards and Happy Easter to anyone who is celebrating it these days!

This didn't work for me. Still got the "access is blocked" errors.
However, using compability mode fixed it!
Thanks for getting me 90% there :thumbsup:

For others trying to get it working (some steps may or may not be necessary):
-Follow the above instructions.
-Create a shortcut to the civ .exe (I've only tried with conquests) and the civassist .exe.
-With both shortcuts: Preferences -> advanced -> run as administrator. And: preferences -> compability -> run in compability mode for Windows XP service pack 3.
-Both civ and civassist are installed outside of ProgramFiles.

This didn't work for me. Still got the "access is blocked" errors.
However, using compability mode fixed it!
Thanks for getting me 90% there :thumbsup:

For others trying to get it working (some steps may or may not be necessary):
-Follow the above instructions.
-Create a shortcut to the civ .exe (I've only tried with conquests) and the civassist .exe.
-With both shortcuts: Preferences -> advanced -> run as administrator. And: preferences -> compability -> run in compability mode for Windows XP service pack 3.
-Both civ and civassist are installed outside of ProgramFiles.
Tried it all again, still get "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...." :(

Tried it all again, still get "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...." :(
I think I've only had that error when I tried using the newer version (from 2016 if I remember correctly).
I've only been able to get the older version working.

I may be wrong, but that sounds like it could be a .NET-related issue.
Have you tried reinstalling the .NET-runtime framework, and/or make sure you have the correct version?

Last edited:
I think I've only had that error when I tried using the newer version (from 2016 if I remember correctly).
I've only been able to get the older version working.

I may be wrong, but that sounds like it could be a .NET-related issue.
Have you tried reinstalling the .NET-runtime framework, and/or make sure you have the correct version?
Not recently, but I did it a couple times with no result. I might have the newer version, but I don't think so.

Playing Civ3 Complete via Steam on my new computer. Win 11 so I figured what chance of this working?
The newer .net 4 version didn't work at all.
Surprise, installed the older version and the .net 3.5 that it asks for when run, which is the most recent compatible version, and it worked straight off.

You do need to go out of your way to get the old version, when I tried to download the old one without jumping to the versions tab it gave me the new one.

I just got this to work on Win11! Just download the older version, 2.05 not 2.06.
It's the file from 2006 with 16k downloads. Run the installer, let it download the older .NET framework, and it ran for me. I was never able to get this to run in the past, but maybe I was just trying to run the newer file which doesn't seem to work for anyone.

I just got this to work on Win11! Just download the older version, 2.05 not 2.06.
It's the file from 2006 with 16k downloads. Run the installer, let it download the older .NET framework, and it ran for me. I was never able to get this to run in the past, but maybe I was just trying to run the newer file which doesn't seem to work for anyone.
This is totally awesome! Worked for me, too!!

Now, if I can just find some time to actually play...

Top Bottom