Civil Disorder?! Starvation?! I was doing so well....help please!

Cleosith

Chieftain
Im very new to this game. I got a lot of help from some board members the other day with another question I had, so I hought I would ask about a different problem.

The babylonians went to war with the arabs. Im squeezed between the babylonians, arabs and persians. The babylonians seem to be the weaker of the group and a lot of my cities are very close to the babylonian cities. So I made a military alliance with the arabs and started going balistic on the babylonians. I took Baghdad in 3 turns. I'm producing seti cavalry (I think that's what they are called....they have an attack of 8) in 4 turns, my economy was rocking....every tile was mined or irrigated and I was about 1-2 techs ahead of almost everyone. I should mention Im playing on warlord as the Ottomoans and my government is democracy. Im in the process of finishing the medicine tech so I can get hospitals. This is the furthest Ive ever come in the game since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

Anyways, next thing I know all my cities are in complete dissaray. One turn Im kicking butt and the next my cities are starving and theres constant civil disorder. So I put my populations moods under the governor's control and he starts making everyone an entertainer. Why is this happening?? Is there a way for me to know how to control my cities moods on my own while also maximizing production? Now my units are taking 13 turns to produce and Im losing the war badly. I even gave Persia a ton of stuff to become my ally against Babylon. But if things keep going this way Persia and Arabia will plunder babylon and Ill have nothing to show for it.

Any advice would be great please.

Thanks

Cleo

Well, the reason your cities are falling into disorder is War Weariness. Republic, Democracy, and in C3C Feudalism, all have War Weariness (at different levels, Democaracy's being High). This means you can't stay in war for more than a couple turns or your people will get pissed off with you and your warmongering ways. There are some ways to lower WW, but generally speaking, long wars in Democracy simply won't work.

Originally posted by Cleosith

Is there a way for me to know how to control my cities moods on my own while also maximizing production?

Yeah, when you go into the Governer menu, select

"Emphasize Production"
"Emphasize Food"
Manage Citizen Moods"

That's what I do, and it works like a charm and I neevr have problems with food, production or rioting citizens unless im in a long war in a free government.

If you are in a Democracy, and are the aggressor in war, you can bet your cities are going up in riots pretty quickly. It can be very difficult to fight an agressive, pro-active war in a Democracy becasude the war-weariness is going to shut you down if steps aren't taken to prevent it.

Some things that help:

1) Universal Sufferage - cuts down on WW in all cities.
2) Police Stations - helps reduce WW in the city that it's built.
3) Get rival to declare war on YOU, if possible. Being the "defender" in a war brings on WW a bit slower. Use spies, exhortion, and/or intimidation.
4) Quick, decisive wars. If I'm going on the offense in Democracy, I want the war over ASAP. Usually the quickest way to peace is through elimination. The idea is to take out a rival Civ in as few turns as possible.
5) If things go bad, consider a Govt. change. If you have most of the things going for you mentioned above, I've found that you can wage war pretty much as you wish with a Republic, and it's almost as good as Democracy!
6) Read the War Academy here on CFC, in particular:

Good Article by Oystein here.
and another by Moonsinger here.

Good luck, and wlecome to CFC Cleosith!

If you wage war under democarty, then you need something like 5 luxuries and or increase lux tax to 20-30 %, it should help a lots, but eventualy if the war last too long ( 40 turn) democraty will collapse.

Republic can stand a very long war without collapsing, luxuries and tax lux are the key.

Originally posted by Tassadar
If you wage war under democarty, then you need something like 5 luxuries and or increase lux tax to 20-30 %, it should help a lots, but eventualy if the war last too long ( 40 turn) democraty will collapse.

Republic can stand a very long war without collapsing, luxuries and tax lux are the key.

A marketplace also helps alot.

yup. under democracy if you are the attacker sign peace as soon as the enemy is ready to talk unless you have either (pref both) cathedrals in your core cities + sistine chapel wonder (js bach is good to have too); 5 or more luxuries + marketplaces in all core cities. universal suffrage and police stations help alot too.

otherwise switch to communism.

Also, the more times your units engage in combat, the worse it becomes. One time while I was in a war w/ Democracy I attacked an enemy city and took it over with some modern armors and an army. The enemy's turn, they sent basically their entire offensive army at that one city, although luckily only the Cavalry could attack b/c of movement costs. Even so, they had something like 75 of them. I was just barely able to hold them off, and although I only lost one unit total (the rest almost dead), next turn suddenly I have vast amounts of war weariness.

Temples,marketplaces,cathedrals,police stations,coloseums,increase your luxury rate all of these will work to decrease unhappiness, also turning civilians into entertainers will work well too. The best way is to blitzkreig cities near your borders do it with such power that when you negotiate peace you can get cities of them as territorial concessions. Then reorganize your armies and blitzkreig again a few turns later!!

Top Bottom