Civilization 5 Rants Thread

This is where you are wrong. Sadly.

I think you'll find it's whomever is paying for things they consider overpriced that is wrong actually. ;)

I have never understood this concern over the price of the DLCs.

Simple : one may want to buy them, but can't afford it.

Another hint : everybody is free to compare the price of the DLCs to the main game and the content of the DLCs to the main game. I have to say, putting things like that can make having double thought about buying them.

Or more simply, note and claim that it is not fair, in order to strenghten the demands of the people who want to listen. After all, this is a discussion forum. :rolleyes:

But the DLCs... People say 'It's only a few dollars'. ...

Exactly that's the problem. It's impulse buying, like TicTacs at the counter. The magic of "small" numbers or "the economy of the long tail". But at the end of the day it all adds up. And because the price seems so "insignificant" it's getting traction all over the place. Opens up a new revenue stream and Marketing loves this.

Personally, I shall resist DLCs on the grounds of principle. I like my cheeseburger a cheeseburger not a bun with extra burger and extra cheese for 3x the price of a bun. We may, in not too distant future, be buying barely working products, to which add-ons that actually make it functional, cost another wad of cash. Besides, in this case I think, I'll wait until they fix what's broken for free before I consider commiting more £££ to fancy extras. Unless the user community and the modders fix it first.

Exactly that's the problem. It's impulse buying, like TicTacs at the counter. The magic of "small" numbers or "the economy of the long tail". But at the end of the day it all adds up. And because the price seems so "insignificant" it's getting traction all over the place. Opens up a new revenue stream and Marketing loves this.

Personally, I shall resist DLCs on the grounds of principle. I like my cheeseburger a cheeseburger not a bun with extra burger and extra cheese for 3x the price of a bun. We may, in not too distant future, be buying barely working products, to which add-ons that actually make it functional, cost another wad of cash. Besides, in this case I think, I'll wait until they fix what's broken for free before I consider commiting more £££ to fancy extras. Unless the user community and the modders fix it first.

So you plan to fight the tides despite all indications that this is most certainly the trend? I admire that, but I don't think I could deprive myself the content on solely ideological grounds. Resisted DLC for a long time until recently myself, gave it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised.

There is a whole thread about complaining about the DLC business model, which I agree, is horrible, but many have already beaten the whole argument to death here earlier in the thread, then into the special thread, and I don't think it needs to be here again. It's all been said. "bla bla it's the price of coffee, bla bla people are free to judge what's a fair price, bla bla but everyone pays for their decision, bla bla bla".

There is a whole thread about complaining about the DLC business model, which I agree, is horrible,

How, how is it horrible?

We have X, do you want X?
Yes I want X. What does X cost?

X costs Y.

Hmm...I think X is overpriced and I won't pay it.

How hard is that? Really, how hard? What are they selling software or crack? Either way you bought it. You don't get the right to winge about the fact you made what you consider to be a duff purchase at a later date.

You thought it was worth it, so you paid it. If you didn't think it was worth it, then....well who's to blame there.

Or is that the real problem?

How hard is that? Really, how hard?

You ask call me out but your opinion, as well as mine, have been said countless times. I vaguely "campaign" to make people reconsider the value of what they are buying, and not just with DLC, but with a lot of items in real life. I think if someone thinks it's worth their money, well what can we do, it's their right to support it. But I'm just telling them I don't agree that it's worth that much. I have bought DLC for the price it's worth to me (usually max 1-2$ a piece, so when it's on sale). If you still want to debate this I suggest the thread as indicated, preferably without the "how dumb must you be not to understand this" style.

Naokaukodem is talking about the initial release where you could conquer the world with 4 horsies. I prefer the way it is now, where military units are more balanced (unless you are the AI and don't know how to use them). It encourages building an army of different unit types. But each to their own - you can probably make horsies super-overpowered again with a bit of xml editing if you really want to.

After the latest CivWorld update it's clear in which direction the civ series is going
with Take-Two owning the rights of Civilization and owning both the publisher + the developer.

I simply couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that's possible to buy with civbucks the
weather type (fog, rain, snow or wind) during a battle.
Every unit is tied to one weather type which gives it a bonus during a fight.

i still hate civ 5 after playing all the versons this is a great disapointment,, i kepts trying to see the fun it but it is a bad game with to many bugs it does not work well. all the improvements added in the past longyears which gave so much satisfaction and pleasure are romoved worse strategic game ever. all people i know old time players and new ones like 4 so much better that we all dumped civ 5 on the 2nd hand market.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mine works fine. Have you tried turning your computer on? Or simply accepting that it's not Civ 4?

So you plan to fight the tides despite all indications that this is most certainly the trend? I admire that, but I don't think I could deprive myself the content on solely ideological grounds. Resisted DLC for a long time until recently myself, gave it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised.

I agree, sadly, this is most certainly the trend, however I do not have to conform to it, makes me feel sorta fuzzy warm inside. I am happy that you were pleasantly surprised as I am happy the Marketing got your $5er on top of what you paid already. I am happy that you will continue to pay for years to come. Personally I shall wait a bit, as I said, for a product that can load it's own saves.

I remember when in 2001 I begun to refuse plastic bags at the shop counter. Everyone was looking at me with horror and amusement... Maybe I'm too old for DLC or don't own a console.

Top Bottom