'Civilization: Beyond Earth' announced!

I am exited! :D

I wonder if a certain chairman is making a sneaky comeback? :mischief:

Earth is overpopulated, full of littered slums where poverty, sickness and unrest run rampart. food and resources are getting thin and conflicts because of it get worse and worse. Most of the money spent goes to developing new weapons and waging war, war that destroys living space even more. Industry and agriculture is destroying last of the nature. Global warming makes deserts expand and rivers to dry out. World is turning into wasteland. Then there is suddenly a great happy day as some selected VIPs are sent to colonize another planet where we can continue (same way).. Well, I really hoped that there would be a DLC or expansion for civilization that really would show how humanity can screw up the planet.. that we really would see how slums and wastelands conquer earth and how resources get completely finished and all new alternate tech needs to be used. Anyway I hope Beyond Earth wouldn't be a cheesy naivistic view on future, but rather would show hardships and dangers that colonizing a completely alien world would be full of.

Moderator Action: Please do not use language that tries to fool the autocensor. Changed your post to reflect our PG13 standards without changing the meaning.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Not too excited about this...sounds/looks like Civ V in space.

Oh well, hopefully it'll surprise me. :shifty:

One army per hex/resource will be the one thing that will kill it for me, haven't played Civ5 since the first week it was released for that reason.

I hate the screenshots. They are oversaturated with colour. I know it is a fantasy game, but like this is simply looks childish.

I will probably not play this, because I love the history in Civ V, which is all based on real events through time. Going further into the future, the story must be really strong to get people hooked. Otherwise it will be just Civ V with some better, some worse, some similar and some different game mechanics without a realistic feeling and childish graphics.

I hate the screenshots. They are oversaturated with colour. I know it is a fantasy game, but like this is simply looks childish.

Welcome to Firaxis' art department since Civ3.

I know it is a fantasy game, but like this is simply looks childish.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Childish-looking or not, I like this art style - and even Civ5's - much, much better than the faded gray/brown that seems to be the norm in today's games. The oversaturation is something I prefer, especially in this game, since it gives off an alien/otherworldly character that is what this game seems to be going for. And I like color.

It's early days yet.

However, what I've seen in the various articles (PCGamer particularly good) shows that this is not just SMAC/X2, or Civ5.4. We get the spirit of SMAC, with unit design workshop and a believable backstory, plus some good choices to create our path up front.

I'm anticipating a lot of fun from this game; already starting to save for it.

The next six months' wait will be excruciating, but what can you do?, besides getting a job with NASA.

Welcome to Firaxis' art department since Civ3.

I completely agree. :agree: Civ3 (and its possibilities of modding graphics) is the last game of the Civ series I have fun to look at.

I'd prefer DLC for Civ5 that does the solar system

Top Bottom