'Civilization: Beyond Earth' announced!

Looks really promising and interesting. Hopefully this will deliver what it seems to promise.

This is great news! And it's coming out so much earlier than I'd have expected. :D

After Firaxis ruined the Colonization remake, I'm going to wait until a Steam sale and good reviews come in before getting this.

We never want there to be a critical path through this game. We never want there to be this very quick analysis of the map at the beginning, and I build this and I research that and I build this building, etcetera. We want it to be a much more adaptive, organic experience.

That is until the forum warriors come up with the proper min-max routines for any situation, and then everyone is rushing through Great Library and on to National College again.. :)

Looks to me like it's using the same game engine that Civ V does.
This is good news for anyone with a machine that while running Civ V well is a few years old as it means the systems requirements aren't higher.

It also appears that it's really SMAC II; but that they are wanting to brand anything that as argument can be made as related as Civilization. (Remember that the most recent version of Colonization was officially named Civilization : Colonization instead of Colonization II)
But in addition, NOT having Alpha Centauri in the title avoids having to get it licensed.

We can probably except things in CBE to be named "Cities" instead of "Bases", "Settlers" instead of "Colonists", "Workers" instead of "Transformers", etc.

Release for fall: If they mean this fall, it's a bit scary for it to be this soon since they probably hadn't started beta testing when it was announced. (Remember that Civ V Vanilla had so many balance fixes the first year that it effectively a public beta)
If they mean fall '15 I'd be more confident that it will be properly balanced upon release.

Theres quite some trolling going on in this thread allready.

Moderator Action: Please report trolling using the report post function. This does not help anything.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I personaly think its going to be a good game. The only civ-game I didnt like was 3, and thats just because I missed the right time to play it. I liked 1, 2, col, ac, 4, col2 and 5. So its likely I will enjoy this one too.

This is my first post in months now...

Already when I saw the announcement for this I was so ecstatic! I like the concept and mechanics so far. And yes, it has an Alpha Centauri vibe to it. But even though it's inspired by Alpha Centauri I don't think it would capture the same depth as Alpha Centauri did with its over-arching storyline, conscious commentary and deep philosophy. It makes the experience worthwhile while I was playing it.

But this is a different game. Why do I have the right to compare? :lol:

Any hints on this version using more than 4GB of RAM (or is it 3.something) - i.e. 64-bit native support? Or was this already a feature in Civ 5? I like my monster maps and mods (C2C rues!) in Civ 4 :)

Any hints on this version using more than 4GB of RAM (or is it 3.something) - i.e. 64-bit native support? Or was this already a feature in Civ 5? I like my monster maps and mods (C2C rues!) in Civ 4 :)

This is pretty unlikely since it's the same engine. They would almost certainly have put it in the initial announcement, also.

For the same reason they did Civ4: Colonization as a standalone rather than an expansion pack or DLC.

Ooh wouldn't it had been nice if Civ 4 had Civ 4 Col gameplay? It would be a dream for the micromanagers out there.

It would've been awesome to have spaceships and plasma infantry, too.

I don't mind they keep the same engine, but those screenshots are really not clear. Some units are too smalI. Pandora First Contact looks better.
I hope the web of technologies, the "techweb" that replaces the techtree, won't make the gameplay too random.
The good news is that it will run on Linux.

Oh, I just hope and hope that the AI is improved for this game. The AI in Civ5 was so lacking compared to Civ4

Yes, yes, yes. In the best case, it's an amazing game, in the worst case, it's a wonderful foundation for a SMAC mod. Either way, I'm on the hype train.

Top Bottom