Civilization elimination thread

Throwing a moderate amount of attention at a lot of CSes the AI wants, rather than a lot of attention at a few the AI wants or moderate attention on ones it doesn't, is the surest way to get coups.

This really works wonders. Completed a diplo victory with Arabia and the targeted city state approach was great. Used spies for city states exclusively (would occasionaly station one in a threatening CiVs capital for a brief period) focused on the CS's that I needed for this particular game (maritime) and those alliances were untouchable. Followed the same formula as I got more spies and built diplo leads the other AI's couldn't touch. Ended up with 8 of 10 CS allies and little threat of losing them.

Arabia 20
Babylon 20
Carthage 8
China 29
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 16
Netherlands 13
Persia 17
Siam 12

Carthage: Downvoting them yet again. Free harbor's notwithstanding, this is a very average civ. UA is average, UU's are average. I have also seen very few defenders of carthage in this thread.

China: Great UU & UB, and a UA tailored very well for conquest. +100% strength great general and +50% more of them to make citadels.

Arabia 21
Babylon 20
Carthage 8
China 29
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 16
Netherlands 13
Persia 17
Siam 10

Siam should be the next to go, just not a very good civ to play for/against. I don't have to worry about upvoting China but Arabia needs to be kept up there.

Arabia 21
Babylon 18
Carthage 8
China 29
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 17
Netherlands 13
Persia 17
Siam 10

Babylon : A good Civ but i feel its the worst one left. Its UU is outdated to fast and UB is just OK. There UA is great but IMO I can generate more Science with the Koreans in the long run.

Maya: Great Civ for going wide, pyramids with messenger of gods pantheon will give you an early science lead and there UA will supplement great people you will not be getting because of going so wide.

Siam should be the next to go, just not a very good civ to play for/against. I don't have to worry about upvoting China but Arabia needs to be kept up there.

Does this really count as a reason? Sigh...

Arabia 21
Babylon 18
Carthage 8
China 29
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 17
Netherlands 11
Persia 17
Siam 11

I don't like Netherlands because of the start bias. The Polder is neat, but there's no guarantee that you'll ever get to build one because the start bias doesn't include marsh tiles. When I play Netherlands, I find myself restarting numerous times just to ensure that I get to build at least one Polder. If I don't, then why bother to play Netherlands?

I like Siam, though. The bonus is always useful, regardless of map or victory condition, and the Wat is really nice, too.

Sure it's a good reason since I've espoused upon Arabia several times already. I guess I could say 'same as before'. :)

Arabia 21
Babylon 18
Carthage 8
China 29
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 15
Netherlands 11
Persia 18
Siam 11

MY personal preference, Babylon was alot more fun then the Mayan the few times I played them. GP UA was fun, but it just felt alot more epic with Babylon.

Persian Warmongering is a blast early game. Started a new game last night and so much fun.

Arabia 21
Babylon 18
Carthage 8
China 29
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 13
Netherlands 11
Persia 19
Siam 11

Persia GA Are great, Maya I dont care for there UA

Arabia 21
Babylon 18
Carthage 8
China 27
Inca 35
Korea 27
Maya 13
Netherlands 11
Persia 19
Siam 11

I've got a game going right now where i am the Inca. I spammed out a ton of Slingers, and they are now composite bowmen with the ability to retreat :D
Soon they'll be crossbowmen, and gatling guns with retreat. I'm actively using their ability and while sometimes they do die (due to not retreating), it kicks in more than enough for them to be a ton of fun.
Terraces are just amazing. They look gorgeous and they make growing strong production cities a lot easier.
The normal movement on hills is just insane :D

Inca have been my favorite civ since i first played them, and i'm not surprised people feel the same.

China, why are they rated so high?
Paper makers are indeed nice, but amazing? Not really.
Art of War is nice too, but again, not really amazing unless you are spamming citadels everywhere?
Chu-ko-nu are definitely awesome, but really the only great thing about China, so yeah, not sure why they are up at the top.
While they are a strong civ, there are many better.

Arabia 21
Babylon 18
Carthage 6
China 27
Inca 36
Korea 27
Maya 13
Netherlands 11
Persia 19
Siam 11

Inca: it's fun to play, you are always aware being Inca. The UU is not good but also original and there are only a few civ's I would play for their UU.
Carthage: on archipelago those free harbours are great, and that's it.

Arabia 21
Babylon 19 (+1)
Carthage 4 (-2)
China 27
Inca 36
Korea 27
Maya 13
Netherlands 11
Persia 19
Siam 11

Carthage: Free harbour is nice, but you have to build cities on coasts which can limit your access to early strategic ressources. Overall, they are the weakest civ still left.
Babylon: I like them, bowmen and walls early on will give you an edge to survive and then the GS fest can begin.

Arabia 21
Babylon 20 (+1)
Carthage 4
China 27
Inca 34 (-2)
Korea 27
Maya 13
Netherlands 11
Persia 19
Siam 11

Babylon is still the best. Nothing can replace an early tech lead.

Inca? Really? I think they are only still on this list because most people haven't tried them, and the couple that like them vote them up.

Their terrain improvement is too situational to be useful very often. It is only better than a regular farm if there are multiple mountain tiles adjacent to the improvement (2+ mountains early, and 3+ mountains later to be better). It is more of a forgiveness for having too many unworkable tiles than an actual benefit. I would rather have farms next to rivers (some with wheat) and/or camps with deer and put mines on my hills for :c5production:. Ideally a good city location should have one mountain next to the city to build an Observatory and some situational wonders. The Inca would be more interesting if instead of a cheesy tile improvement they had a UB which provided a bonus to hills near the city.

The Slinger is one of the weakest UU in the game. I don't let my ranged units get in positions to be attacked often, although with the shorter range upgrades in later eras with G&K I can see where there might be some occasions where it is useful...but not enough to make Inca stronger than any of the civs remaining on this list.

The terrain movement bonus in hills can be nice, but would be much nicer if hills counted as roads for :c5trade: like the Iroquois forest ability. Speaking of the Iroquois, they are better than the Inca in every aspect (better UA, better UU, and a useful UB not to mention a much better :c5production: powerhouse), and they have already been eliminated. It's time for Inca to follow in the footsteps of their native American (or First Nation) brethren.

Arabia 21
Babylon 21
Carthage 4
China 27
Inca 34
Korea 27
Maya 13
Netherlands 9
Persia 19
Siam 11

Babylon gets my vote again based to their wondrous performance and a T227 Deity OCC victory, the quickest one I managed to get, beating my previous T230 win. I have strong doubts that any other civ can manage it at all. Korea may get close to it, but since they need time to get the beakers going, it will be very hard for them. EDIT: Spain with desert bias + next to mountain + river + GBR can beat it :D
Posted everything in the Sadato's OCC thread, including the save, if anyone's interested. Here's the link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11809578&postcount=96

From all the civs left, I feel like Netherlands is the worst. Even though their UA is great for growth on Deity, their UU and UB are situational, and they are very weak in the early game. If you survive it, you can keep going, but in any case, it will be quite an ordeal if you spawn next to a good human player, or a vile Deity warmonger.

Arabia 21
Babylon 21
Carthage 4
China 25
Inca 34
Korea 28
Maya 13
Netherlands 9
Persia 19
Siam 11

China : too much centered on waging war... OK, Chu-Ko-Nu is cool but I won't choose a civ just for the sake of its UU.

Korea : I was amazed at the tech lead I managed to get when I played them... Sure the effect of the science UA kicks in later than Babylon, but with the proper belief and social policy choices (Reliquary, Freedom, Rationalism...) & a few wonders you get really big science. This kind of synergy between different components of the game can be really great !

Arabia 19 -2
Babylon 21
Carthage 4
China 25
Inca 34
Korea 28
Maya 13
Netherlands 10 +1
Persia 19
Siam 11

Arabia gets the negative because I cant seem to get anything going with it, no matter what I try. Also, as an AI, they ALWAYS seem to be stuck beside me and they throw up two cities in a corner near the shore and let them get to 25 pop each. Then get pissy when I decide to expand into territory around 5 hexes away. Irritating.

Netherlands gets the +1 because "Dat unique ability"

You should see how pissy (like pissed off) the likes of Greece (Denounce on T6 please?) Atilla, Monty, Persia, Rome, Mongolia, and other warmongers get when you do it to them :p

Arabia 19
Babylon 19
Carthage 4
China 25
Inca 34
Korea 29
Maya 13
Netherlands 10
Persia 19
Siam 11

Korea - What's not to like? Great civ all around.
Babylon - UU obsoletes too fast, UB isn't that great.

Arabia 19
Babylon 19
Carthage 4
China 25
Inca 35 (+1)
Korea 29
Maya 13
Netherlands 8 (-2)
Persia 19
Siam 11

Inca: My favorite civ of all. Very versatile as long as you have many hills and mountains around you. They work for any VC.

Netherlands: Had to pick one civ to downvote and I decided to choose Netherlands. Never liked the UA although it's kind of useful for a 4 city tradition start. Good UU and good UI but still my least favorite civ of what is left.

Arabia 19
Babylon 19 + 1 = 20
Carthage 4 - 2 = 2
China 25
Inca 35
Korea 29
Maya 13
Netherlands 8
Persia 19
Siam 11

It's getting awfully hard to downvote. It's freaky how this top ten is precisely my top ten. They are all great civ. Having said that, some are a tad situational to my taste.

Carthage is great, but I feel like I play badly each time I settle a city inland. And I feel pressured to take the god of the sea pantheon or messenger of the gods instead of faith generating ones, denying me a religion (emperor/immortal). It's my fault but still. One UU is fine (but it's no dromon) the other is meh. Still a civ I love picking with random leaders.

Babylon because well, when I recently moved up to immortal, and I wouldn't dare at first playing any other civ on a random map (Netherlands on sandstorm or inca on a 3 B years old map are too cheesy To count as a real win). I think it tells a lot.

Again amazing thread, has opened my eyes to the power of the Iroquois, and will give Persia another shot!

Edit: included last post

@ the OP. Will we be upping the ante (+1, -3) now that we are down to the final 10?

Top Bottom