Civilization: Marlboro Country!

Do you take smoke breaks while playing Civ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Don't smoke/Ex-smoker

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • I have an ashtray by my keyboard.

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters
Originally posted by anarres
The funniest thing in life is the truth. :lol:
Even when it's gallows humor. :cry:
What the antismoking brigade doesn't understand is that we know it's a stupid, expensive, annoying, unhealthy habit. And most of us would quit right now if it were that easy.
Of course I'm not sure what I'd find to occupy myself while Civ3 cranks along in between turns. Maybe needlepoint or knitting.

The one thing I have against it morally is that you kill yourself early, thus making those grieve greater (as opposed to saying, well, he's hella old, went crazy, so I've had time to accept what's gonna happen). So in that since smoking is very selfish.
:confused: What the heck?! I suppose that means we should hate servicemen and women who give their lives in the defense of their country since it was their choice to do something that could kill them early...Do you really expect me to preserve my health to make depression easier for my family? Half of them smoke too.

EDIT: I realized later this was a poor choice of words, but I won't censor myself. Apology posted below.

Superslug, I would say that's a bad analogy. Smoking is not making a sacrifice, thus its not protecting one's freedoms and so forth.

Anyway, I would say smoking is far more fatal than being a US soldier.

Originally posted by superslug
I smoke ferociously and I don't consider it 'morally wrong' overall. I do consider smoking indoors morally wrong however. It gets in the furniture and walls and just hangs in the air. I've read scientific studies where children of parents who smoke indoors get sick much more frequently than kids of nonsmokers, but there's very little difference in healthness between kids whose parents don't smoke and kids whose parents smoke outdoors.

Fully Agreed. I never smoke in the house since we had children. Killing myself is not the best thing for them, but killing them is much worse.

BTW, I often play on the laptop outside as well - it helps living in a warm climate!

Originally posted by superslug
I've read scientific studies where children of parents who smoke indoors get sick much more frequently than kids of nonsmokers, but there's very little difference in healthness between kids whose parents don't smoke and kids whose parents smoke outdoors.

Guess I'm the exception, then.

My mom smokes. She has since before I was born. For a while there, my dad smoked too. This was back in the 70's. . .

I was never any sick than a lot of kids I played with. In fact, it seemed that most of the kids parents smoked, and hardly any of them were sick. Of course, it was a long time ago. . .

Perhaps what George Carlin said was true, about giving your immune system a workout. . .

Well, the rates of illness are higher, but indoors smoking is by no means makes illness an absolute. Chances are still against it being a cause...

In regards to my analogy, it was a very poor choice of words and I DO APOLOGIZE. I was overly frustrated that someone expects me to quit so that my eventual death is easier on those around me. No matter when I go, the person who will lost the most with my death is me!

No I don't expect you to quit, and I don't hate you for smoking. I was playing emi-devil's advocate--I understand people start often knowing that it's bad, but not really getting it (being young and whatnot), and then they can't stop, so I'm not blaming you, I was sticking up for the anti-smoking morality arguement.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Sorry for my rudeness.

I didn't take it all rude, I was just really caught off guard by that argument, having never heard it before. On top of being a great game, I'm thankful Civ3 has glued me to my computer so much that I've gone from three packs a day to less than two cartons a month. The luxury commerce in the empire of clutter that is my bedroom has deteriorated drastically!

I enjoy a puff or two every so often (currently smoking half a pack a day) and find that Civ is the perfect game for my addiction. The turn based gameplay means I can get up from the computer, go outside, and contemplate the next few turns while having a smoke. Since I don't smoke a lot, I find it helps me settle down if I get too rilled up (Damn you Xerxes!!!!!! Now you DIE!!!!!!).

While smoking cigarettes may not help your CivIII game, smoking pot will cause you to make dumb decisions at the keyboard (Did I just use a GL to rush a library?). Save the good stuff for something else.

I'm to find out I'm not the only one that plots my next few moves over a nicotine rush. That's why I started the thread...

Top Bottom