Civilization: The Board Game

Civ: the board game is a complex board game, and in some ways more complex than CiV. The board game has very high ratings and reviews in boardgamegeek and that's what matters. Confused people asking for rules clarifications exist for nearly all the top board games on that site (check the rankings and ratings).

I will say that Civ: the board game is more fun for me than CiV is at the moment. Part of it is interacting with real people (i.e. less klutzy AI, and will make more reasonable trades). Also no graphical glitches or crashing to worry about, lol.

The use of coins in economy/tech, the tech pyramid, and the way culture works in this game are truly superb. The combat is ok, innovative and fast for what it's worth, and there's many bonuses to combat you can get. The civs play out very differently while being balanced, though Egypt is a tad weaker than the others. Russia's ability to steal techs, America's production bonus, Rome's culture bonus for military actions and Germany's tech-military advantage are all very cool. Overall: excellent, excellent game. I highly recommend it.

Am I the only one who remembers that Civ started as a board game? The original computer game was an adaptation of it. We used to play the board game in college. "Hey I got two leathers here for a sheep!"

I remember it... :goodjob:

Except that it has already been confirmed that Hotseat is coming via patch, so none of this is really all that valid. The only advantage the board game has that I can think of is that its easier to gather around it then a PC.

Why the lack of love for board games? Without them, there'd be no Civilization games.

There is nothing like a great board game. :D

So who here has the Fantasy Flight board game? :)

I just picked it up, and played a game. It's a wholly different experience to Civ5, yet feels, thematically, very much like civ. It does take about an hour per player (not counting learning the rules), but the time moves quickly.

Choosing from the four victory conditions happens earlier than in the video game (almost from turn 1), and it feels like playing on a tiny, pangea map, but otherwise the same quest for wonders, resources, etc. are all there.

I recommend it!

The new boardgame is outstanding.

I played it twice thus far, and it's fun, simple and strategic depth that belies it's simplicity.

I also just got the board game and it kicks ass. Reasons you know it doesn't suck: 1. Designed by Kevin Wilson (he's designed a lot of excellent board games), 2. Published by Fantasy Flight Games (pure quality and professionalism when it comes to board games).

Why would you play a board game over a computer game? That's like comparing apples to oranges. They are two different things. I play and enjoy both video games and board games for very different, recreational experiences. I too once thought board games were pointless and a dying industry, but it's quite the opposite today. So many awesome board games coming out with real innovation behind them.

So anyway, try the board game, you might be surprised at how damn addicting it is. :)

So anyway, try the board game, you might be surprised at how damn addicting it is. :)

I wish I had gamer friends that would actually want to play. :(

There should be board game groups in your city that want to play. Just call them up and ask to join. Then maybe buy Civ: the board game for them so you can all play!

There should be board game groups in your city that want to play. Just call them up and ask to join. Then maybe buy Civ: the board game for them so you can all play!

Easy way to find such groups is to look on a bulletin board in the stores that sell the games. Or, depending on the city, there may be regular drop-in games in the store itself.

Am I the only one who remembers that Civ started as a board game? The original computer game was an adaptation of it. We used to play the board game in college. "Hey I got two leathers here for a sheep!"

Remember it? I still have it, and Advanced Civilization, too.

Fun, easy to learn and grasp, but long, very long.

It was the first strategy game that my wife liked, but now we play a lot of Settlers of Catan.

For a game of Settlers we set aside an evening. On the Friday after Thanksgiving this year we played two games; one with 8 players and the other with 9. First game was to a time limt to let us finish before the 9th player arrived after work. Both took about 3 hours to play.

What is different about a board game and MP Civ game? Face to face time with friends. We are social gamers; that is, we play to have fun first and win second.

Remember it? I still have it, and Advanced Civilization, too.

Fun, easy to learn and grasp, but long, very long.

It was the first strategy game that my wife liked, but now we play a lot of Settlers of Catan.

For a game of Settlers we set aside an evening. On the Friday after Thanksgiving this year we played two games; one with 8 players and the other with 9. First game was to a time limt to let us finish before the 9th player arrived after work. Both took about 3 hours to play.

What is different about a board game and MP Civ game? Face to face time with friends. We are social gamers; that is, we play to have fun first and win second.

Way off topic at this point but if you're into social gaming, my group has been having a ton of fun with two games recently: Cash & Guns, and Fiasco. check 'em out. :)

I don't get it. Why not just play the actual game? What advantage does the board game have over the actual games? Besides not requiring a computer?

Completely different medium of interaction. Across the table looking at the board handling tokens is a different interaction than hotseat-swapping looking at the screen moving the mouse.

I, myself, don't really see an "advantage" to either one, as-such; I just derive different experiences from the different mediums.

How well does it work for 2 people? And what's the optimum number of players? My wife and I love to play Cosmic Encounter (also now in the FFG stable) but we need 3 minimum and preferably 4 for that. So it would be really good if this worked well for 2 as advertised. Does it?

How well does it work for 2 people? And what's the optimum number of players? My wife and I love to play Cosmic Encounter (also now in the FFG stable) but we need 3 minimum and preferably 4 for that. So it would be really good if this worked well for 2 as advertised. Does it?

That's my current problem with Cosmic Encounter, my wife and I make two, but we have no third...

Two player uses fewer map tiles. The game comes with 20. Twelve are used in a four player game (each civ has its own starting map tile) to make the 4x4 world grid. In a two player game that grid is 2x4, with the civs at each end of the four.

Does it work as well? Military victory, maybe not. In this game, regardless of the number of players, a Conquest victory is when you take out one (1) of the other players.

My one fear of the game is that non-Civers will be at an initial disadvantage when playing with Civers who are already acquainted with some of the game concepts. I don't think I could teach this to my wife, especially if it were just the two of us. Someone else could teach us together and that would be fine. But me teach her? Not a chance. Since I would know the rules better I would be assumed to be cheating if I did not explain everything in detail, and that level of explanation can be a real fun-killer.

with the attitude of the forums lately i thought this was going to be just full of pictures of checkers or something

Top Bottom