Civilization V Complete Edition install without installing steam, possible?

IMACIVFAN

Chieftain
Hi,
I have just received my Civilization V Complete edition from amazon.
Is it possible to install the game without installing Steam on my PC?

Because previous experience tells me that Steam running in background slow down my PC when I use internet.

Is it possible to install the game and just the game alone on my PC?

Thanks!!

Nope, Civ 5 is completely dependant on Steam to run.

You could always use offline mode for Steam and disable your internet.

I do wish they were more proactive about the Steam requirement. It really is an ugly shock. I you have a Mac, there is the option for a stand-alone version -- but the version tends to lag and the sales are not as good. The only two programs that crash on my Mac are V and Steam. V quite a bit more, but when Steam goes it also crashes V.

Sorry folks, did you mean, after installation of Civ 5, I can uninstall Steam, correct?

But do I need it again if there are patches?

I am still waiting for Steam to finish the installation.
And in the Steam windows, there are achievements and Personal Achievements, what are they?

Steam is a pain! I am still waiting!!
Previously, I played COH2, but every time I reinstall the Windows and the game because of crashes, it always took ages to finish because of the great PATCHES. I would have bought the expansions had it not because the reinstall is so DAMN slow, I have given up COH2!

Steam needs to remain installed, but you can set it to offline mode after installing Civ V and when launching Civ V to play.

No, you need to have Steam running and then launch Civ5 from within Steam. If you try to launch Civ5 directly, you will get an error message. You can put Steam in off-line mode, but you will still need to have it installed and running for Civ5 to launch.

The one perk to Steam is it automatically tracking hundreds of different game-related achievements (badges), for example, winning using each civ. It is cute, and I like that aspect well enough, but not worth the Steam overhead IMHO.

If your computer is too slow to run Steam in the background, it's too slow to play Civ 5 Complete Edition.

I have a MacBook Pro with onboard graphics and since I turned the graphics settings way down, it runs nicely, but the Steam part has really minimal footprint on my specs.

I usually close steam when I'm done playing. Also by default the steam app will start running on boot, you also need do disable that, because it really slows down your booting process. Other than that, steam really does not interfere with anything.

It's up and running, gorgeous!
I have all the expansions now!!
And there are trade routes apart from resources, hex, yields.
Also the color and graphics seems to be better than vanilla version.

Sorry folks, I got to go playing , thanks for replying
chat later

Land units can no longer swim into the water even the tech is researched.

Also, how does trade route works, I mean it seems that it is up to the game to decide with whom I am going to use trade carts, so far I have Mogadishu at the beginning. Then now I have one of the cities of Ethiopia.

Also, about embassy, I cannot initiate it fair enough. On the other hand, if it is initiated by the AI, does it mean he is friendly?

I doubt its possible. Steam seems like a tool of accessibility for civilization 5 once installed in 1 computer, one can download steam and play civilization on other computers also.

1) You need to get back to your territory for land units to gain the promotion to get into the water (after Optics of course)

2) There is a certain distance for the caravan range. If the destination city is not in range you can't establish a trade route. You can check this under the trade scree, and see the trade routes available tab. The range is increased by techs and buildings (caravansary for land, and harbor for sea). Roads increase the distance, so if you have a road along the way this will help.

3) You can establish an embassy in a foreign capital only if you have writing. One-way embassies can be established (one civ will have an embassy in your capital but you don't have an embassy in their capital or vice-versa), so if you don't have writing civs will propose an embassy in exchange for 1 Gold Per Turn (or 35 lump gold if you have a declaration of friendship).

1) You need to get back to your territory for land units to gain the promotion to get into the water (after Optics of course)

Actually, you just need to return to "friendly" territory, which is CS friend or ally territory or AI territory where you have an open borders treaty.

Also, about embassy, I cannot initiate it fair enough. On the other hand, if it is initiated by the AI, does it mean he is friendly?

Not sure what you mean by “fair enough”. No, as a rule of thumb, the AI is hardly ever really friendly -- even when it says so.

Top Bottom