CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

Hi,

I am a little bit interested in this project and would like to try it out as an alternative to the "official" civ 1, because that one has some bugs, though perhaps debugging official civ1 or reverse engineering it somewhat could also be interesting.

Anyway I decided it was time to fork this project to safe guard it's source code and also because I have a good working version of visual studio 2019 on windows 7.

So I cloned this project to my local source code drive, opened it up in visual studio 2019, it wanted to install all kinds of .net things that went smooth.

I open the project, I find the solution a bit confusing, not sure where the files exactly are but I did find some.

I do a build, but it cannot run it, cause it was set to api or something, so I set it to exe build or something.

Then it can't run because SDL missing and other files missing.

There is no documentation how to set things up, it's a bit late for me and I should go to sleep, but I decide to give it a little try so I download SDL2.dll and put it in folder where exe is.

I run program, but I noticed the graphics are screwed up because this laptop has broken 3d chip as far as I know but that is kinda beside the point because normal 2d/desktop graphics work fine.

But this app doesn't work fine... so what is necessary is some options to switch to software rendering mode.

I do not know if C# has it, but it can be very handy to have software more in case hot graphics card or chips die or become damaged or driver issue etc.

So do you have any idea which code to change to make this possible ?

Anyway one last question: where do I put SDL2.dll best ? and also where do I put the civilization files ?

Do I simply dump everything in:

..\CivOne\runtime\sdl\bin\Debug\netcoreapp3.1

or is there a nice/cleaner way to set it up ?

I also tried OpenXcom... and there I downloaded some dependency package and simply dropped it into a dependency folder and that was all I had to do... well besides from also copieing the game files to some ufo folder.

So this could be done a bit better in CivOne perhaps, OpenXCom might be a bit more advanced... I have no idea how it finds/detects the files but it does... kinda funny.

Anyway I am hoping that the readme.exe on this github project gets updated with at least some minimum instructions or explanation of what is where and especially where what should go to get it running.

Worst case scenerio for me is I disabled the graphics 3d chip/radeon mobility, then I might be able to run this app/game but with blurred/low res graphics that not cool.

So does this game have any configuration options for software rendering ? It's quite funny/amazing to see which GUI technologies rely on GPU and which don't the ones that do have strange triangles/buggy graphics :)

The SDL2.dll file is in my "bin" directory. Once you compile the project this folder should show up and put the dll there.
As for the civilization files, I believe the first time you run Setup.but it should ask for the directory where the original game is located. Otherwise just copy all the original files into the "data" folder. There's some sort of guide on the wiki page of the project.
Preferably use Vscode and not Visual studio. The project owner (SWY) mentioned he prefers VScode for a number of reasons (I think he explains it somewhere in the github wiki).
Also that repository hasn't seen much action, SWY has been MIA for quite a long time now. There's a more up-to-date fork so please contribute there if you wish. There's no need to have tens of forks of the project each going their own direction.
Also I'm using integrated graphics on my laptop and it runs without problem.

Hi, I read your post.

Unfortunately I have to tell you that my game is not a Civilization 1 clone, even if the GitHub repository is called that. When I started development I couldn't think of a better name for it. But now it's a 4X game in the style of Civilization 1 and with various ideas of its own. Also, I can't say if it will remain open source, because I hope to be able to sell the game one day and a publisher might object to the code just being on the internet.

But if that doesn't bother you, then you can have a look at my YouTube or Twitch channel, where I stream most of the development. I am currently revising the menu system on a larger scale. Some of this stuff is from the terminal-only days of the game and other parts are based on a quickly cobbled together system that should only allow me to test the rest of the systems with the SFML.

Unfortunately I have to tell you that my game is not a Civilization 1 clone, even if the GitHub repository is called that.
That's a slight shame but hey if it's still close to Civ1 then it'll be of interest to this community!

Anyway for those following this thread over the years I feel it's important to mention there's been a few interesting developments over the last few months.

dom111 has started his own CivClone project and has already made a LOT of progress. His work is in this thread here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/yet-anther-clone.680494/

and a new user rahorvat has just appeared and announced he's made great progress with disassembling Civilization 1 for Windows and translating it to C# in this thread here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ation-1-contacting-sid-meier-directly.682623/

Also for any confused new comers I think these are all the GitHub repositories posted over the years in this giant thread:
https://github.com/SWY1985/CivOne
https://github.com/fire-eggs/CivOne
https://github.com/HonkiTonk/Civ-Klon

Last edited:
Top Bottom