Colonization music

I'm not really in Paris, but in Maisons-Alfort (94).
Good to see that there are several french colonialists to build la Nouvelle France.

Great job!
The funny thing is, I hadn't played Col for years, and when I recently reinstalled it and tried a couple games, I was appalled to hear how crudely the music sounded. It wasn't much more sophisticated than a computer startup beep. But my imagination had transformed my memories into something much more refined, something very much like what you did. :)

Maybe you had just simple Sound Blaster then.

MIDI music, like in Colonization, sounds much worse with older Sound Blasters cards, compared to better ones that are capable of having Wavetable Synthesis for playing MIDI music.

Maybe you had just simple Sound Blaster then.

MIDI music, like in Colonization, sounds much worse with older Sound Blasters cards, compared to better ones that are capable of having Wavetable Synthesis for playing MIDI music.

That might explain it...

Yeah.

After all, MIDIs aren't music like MP3s or WAVs. They're actually scores with instructions that get sent to your sound card, which has several instruments stored in its synthesizing program. According to those indications, your card 'plays' the music itself according to its configuration, instead of providing the playback of a recorded song. That's why MIDIs sound different in PCs with different sound cards.

so i was playing the new one.

and god.. the music blows harder than i could have imagined!

i have yet to hear any of the classical songs.

it's all downright depressing music

but the biggest insult has to be the music they use for combat. it sounds like someone went to a re-enactment with a tape recorder.
you can hear crowds in the back and not only that, the music sounds like it's in mono. in road to boston you can hear that the band is moving from one area to another.

how can they screw it up sooo badly. like really. convert the old midi files to a new standard is all they really had to do.

so i was playing the new one.

and god.. the music blows harder than i could have imagined!

i have yet to hear any of the classical songs.

it's all downright depressing music

but the biggest insult has to be the music they use for combat. it sounds like someone went to a re-enactment with a tape recorder.
you can hear crowds in the back and not only that, the music sounds like it's in mono. in road to boston you can hear that the band is moving from one area to another.

how can they screw it up sooo badly. like really. convert the old midi files to a new standard is all they really had to do.

I assumed the crowds were supposed to be soldiers. :lol:

I'm liking the music a lot; the classical stuff kicks in after a couple of hours of playing, and the military fanfare sounds improvised enough; they've even included the Yankee Doodle!

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the themes played for the leaders of a same nation are actually reprises of a same motif.

Oh, thank you so much for the music! I don't have Col2 yet, but gutted to hear that they don't seem to have kept the old tunes in some shape or form!

Interesting to hear about the midi file definition. All the midi music from games sounded best on my Dos/Windows 3.1 computer with a Sound Blaster, compared to how my XP interprets the music.

Guys, when I get the music, what do I DO with it? I'm not sure how to put it into the game. Also, if you want some great music for this game, try the music from Imperialism 1; an almost classic song. I'm putting the background music for "Shakespear In Love" in this game too (If I can eve figure out how to do it, that is).

The original Colonization music was entertaining, but the music in the new game is pretty and is designed more to work with the other background sounds. So I think its pretty disrespectful to say it 'blows'. It wouldn't be bad if there were a few light tunes that came up from time to time, I was playing while my TV was on, and when a commercial came up that had music from the original Colonization, I mistakenly thought it was part of the game

Would someone be so kind as to tell me/us how you get the music you are showing us, into the game please :confused:

I generally prefer the old music, but one of the new songs I really like. That one with the crazy native american chant is very cool.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me/us how you get the music you are showing us, into the game please :confused:

Take a look at the mod in the link I provided above and read the readme.txt file. It will tell you where to put the files so that you can hear them in the game.

Top Bottom