Commedia di Sangue

Hello, and welcome.

If you would like to play in this game, I advise you do a few things.

1. Read the ruleset, in its entirety. The answers to most of your questions can be found there.
2. If you have not done so already, send me a CFC PM, or reach out to me on #nes IRC or Discord, if you have unanswered questions or would like to fine-tune your application.
3. Choose a lineage, fill out the family template as posted in the stats, and post it here. Here is what the starting template should look like:

Family Name:
Sigil: (also please list your preferred color if you have not already chosen one)
Scions: Name (Age) - [1 or 2, depending on lineage]
Pawns: Name (Age) - The starting number of pawns is determined by your lineage.
Assets:

1 urban/rural villa, urban/landed estate if you have a Patron, (+any upgrades)
2 trading posts (1/1), if a merchant prince lineage

Power: Starting power is determined by your lineage
Upkeep: Leave blank for now

If you are running a city or have interests in one, note that the city's stats will be separate from your family's.

After the application, I will edit your family stats, and the stats of any city-states or matrimonies you affect, as needed. Please note, if you are a criminal, do not post your application publicly.

Your options for where to start on the map are extremely wide-ranging. You can begin:

-With a villa or estate in the countryside, with interests such as trading posts or political factions in a city or cities of your choice.
-Running a small, independent town (which you can place on the map, or claim an existing one)
-Running a Lesser City vassalized to one of the Great Cities.
-Ruling an independent Lesser City (if you are of high nobility)
-With an army/fleet and no territory (if you are a mercenary company)

As a rule of thumb, the Lesser Cities are named on the map, while smaller towns are not.

It is important to stress that the claims of players can overlap in geographic area, as this is not a NES solely about controlling territories and states.

Last edited:
Once you have read the rules and you are properly prepared, you may post. For those of you who have already signed up and are on the map, you may post your family templates here when they are finished. Please note this game can accommodate players both on and off CFC, so all stats will be hosted in the linked ruleset.

May the Divine Marriage bless your endeavors, may you always remember your lines, and may victory be yours.

Good luck.

There is a black spot on the crust of this nation, spreading like mold and hard to keep in line. It’s called sickness. It’s not ill thought to connect the rot to the dead as miasma dresses our kings in foul blood. What kills this death? The workers of life. The Ut Sanguinis.

On the question of Carias and Saia, the choice is obvious. Carias embraces the nature of life as much as Saia is death itself. They leave their living to rot as corpses as the north saves its children. What is the nature of southern medicine as they call upon death as their god? The Godhealer was named so for a reason. We choose life to spare the sick.

Family Name: Gipiani
Sigil: White Goose on Purple Background
Scions: Girigorio Gipiani (43) (Merchant, Spices)
Pawns: Arlito d'Lianti (31) (Merchant, Silks), Ferrico Arratano (25) (Priest, Pellater)
Assets:

1 villa, Rabazzo
2 trading posts (1/1), Rabazzo and Saia

Power: 80
Upkeep:

Magistron Massimo Nisimion, Archotros of the Grand City of Perissi, known to the savages as Perizza
Patron Massimo Nisimion (54)
Prince-Captain Lydia Nisimion (23), Heiress to the Grand City of Perissi
Captain of the Company of the Cat​
Sigil: Chat Noir Rampant On Yellow Field.
Artisan - Cartito Fratello - 33
Artisan - Annabella di Saia - 28
Courtesan - Ella, the lady of Ogden - 25
Priest - Lucritza, Priestess of Zoa - 57​

Assets:
The Urban Estate of Lagata
+Council Tower (15 points)
+Vineyard (15 points)​
40 upkeep of personal family soldiers (distribute as you prefer)
The Company of the Cat
2 War Galleys -
Margerita - Capitano Irnes Ungavio
Aria Del Ella - Capitana Ana Orellios
2 Galleas -
Gatas di Gata - Capitano Zebulon Garavas
Sol aíttito - Capitano Brutus Ballerini
80 Cuirassiers
4 field artillery
40 foot arquebusier
200 Pike​

The City-State of Perizza (see Perizza)
The Fortress of Viracco

Last edited:
As the paisanos say:

l'oca diventa grassoccia / e il gatto nero caccia

Welcome.

Angst - I will be adding the Ut Sanguinis as an influential political faction in Carias. Faction strength will be adjusted accordingly.

Last edited:
Family: Auriona
Sigil: A golden ring held aloft by two golden hands over a light green background.
Scions: Santiago Auriona (28, Merchant Prince, Gold and Silver)
Pawns:
Artisan: Diago Estullo - 20
Merchant: Mercutio Briago (Coffee) - 35
Assets:
1 urban villa (Vecini)
2 trading posts (Vecini, 1/1) (Perissi, 1/1)
Power: 80
Upkeep: ?

A friendly reminder that those who have signed up should have their Scions and Pawns named by the end of the weekend so I can finish the stats. Currently the only signups who have not yet done this are Angst and bombshoo.

There is still quite a bit of space for more players, so those of you that are still considering/working on signups, please reach out to me in the next few days if you have questions.

There is a cry in the hills, a cry in the vales. A cry from those who would stay silent no longer. Long have blood rained, and boots stamped, but no more, no more. A cry pierces the air. A cry joined by many throats: The Cricca! The Cricca! THE CRICCA!

Family Name: Mestiere Cricca - AKA The Common Clique of Master Craftsmen

Sigil: Hammer over a Mason’s Square

Color: Rusty Orange

Lineage: The Mob

Scions: Assessor Vitalon (M 27) - A Cleric of the Godhealer, a traveling healer and philosopher who threw his influence in a conflict between a corrupt clique and the laborers who resisted exploitation. He soon became their leader, and seeks to bring proper representation to the virtues and plights of the “forgotten crafts.”

Pawns: Severio (M 39) - Vox in Vecini, Representative of the Cricca and the Mestieres of the Lodge and the Good Brothers of the Pietstuppa. An outspoken stonemason disgruntled by the exploitation and devaluation of their labor, especially when conscripted due to the recent wars. He helped forged the first coalition between the urban Mestieres and the rising Cricca!

Assets:

The Town of Pietierre

1 rural “villa”, the Casetta Fratellanza, or the Lodge of the Brotherhood

5000 Irregulars - The Good Brothers of Pietstuppa
  • Informally “led” by the Particeps Lazzatius, Priest of Titis

Pietstuppa is the hilly region between Vecini and Fortazia, roughly translating to “foot stupple”, referring either to the mediterranean shrubland on the foot of the peninsula, the hairy bare feet of the laborers there, or being at the foot of the more formidable (and properly forested) mountains to the north.It was recently wracked by war.

High Nobility, rulers of Giudicatza

Family: Dallafiama
Sigil: A silver rapier extending out of orange and yellow flames on a black background
Scions: Adamo Dallafiama (age 31, Ruler), Gaspare (53, Cleric)
Pawns: Beppe Silva (27, captain), Aimone Vittorio (31, captain), Viviane (22, courtesan), Gennaro Dallafiame (30, noble)

Assets:
Giudicatza
1 urban villa (Giudicatza )
500 cuirassiers

Update Zero - Winter 1543

You there! My friend! You will surely freeze to death if you continue on in this condition. It is the depths of winter, and the wolves are hungry. The lords may say this country is at peace, but the eyes of the farmers tell a different story. Please, I beg you, stay. Sit by my fire for a short time. Take off your boots and your stockings, leave them to dry. Your business will wait.

There! Is that not more comfortable? Does the soup not sit well in your belly? Your business beyond the mountain will remain, I assure you, in the days to come. Now let me tell you... There is a tradition in this countryside. The guest is fed, clothed, sheltered, and in return, he must offer the service of his ears. For their hospitality, the host has the gods-given right to tell any story they please. By the look of you, traveler, I know the kind of story you want to hear.

This story is called, la commedia di sangue

---

Northern Events:

The north celebrates the feast of Natale in peace and prosperity. Fat barges sail downstream carrying Vostan iron and timber, and scows and river-galleys move in the opposite direction, Aspesim polemen and Pelucian rudderers warily eyeing each other across the railings.

The Marchese di Torrio officially presents his daughter, Aleçandra, to society, and names her his co-ruler. The House of Torrio has let it known they are considering offers of marriage, although it will be a lesser union, and all children will belong to Aleçandra’s house. Any house of noble birth (or merchantry, with a significant gift) will be considered.

A new emissary from the Duc de Serras has arrived in Aquadecias. He has expressed interest in recruiting a Valian mercenary army for the conflict in Tarice. This has the blessing, although not the official support, of the Cariasi authorities.

The disgraced and exiled son of the Count of Vialta, Agostin Palatani della Covere, has established a household south of Pelucia. A faction of vagabonds and dispossessed individuals of ill-repute in Pelucia (or, if you believe them, plebeians of good standing and character) have made him the figurehead of these 'Populo Grasso'. For the time being, the Council has granted him Pelucian citizenship, perhaps to press his claim on Vialta as a pretext later.

The Order of the Ut Sanguinis has gained increasing influence in Carias and the surrounding countryside, with many common citizens taking up the prayer beads and shawls of red lambswool common to that Order. Their rhetoric against corruption in the church is reaching a fever-pitch. Although they do not blame Holy Saia directly, many populist senators now argue that a new war with Saia is inevitable. The Cavallo and the conservative party still resist this for now, but their goal of restoring the Valian League cannot occur while the Church still resists.

Pelucia has issued an official warning to Carias that it will come to the defence of Saia, but this has been ignored in the Senate.

In Rabazzo, the House Gipiani has risen to prominence on the back of supplying Saian families with goods and small loans, but now their ambitions have risen far higher as they have secured lucrative far eastern spice contracts. Girigorio Gipiani has officially been named to the state council of the Archpriest of Rabazzo, although his true ambitions have yet to become clear.

Central Events:

The musical movement of opera, based on soaring arias performed by virtuoso singers in sumptuous costumes, has begun sweeping the land. Saia, Parinia, and Pelucia are the only cities so far with dedicated opera houses, but many common people and nobles alike are clamoring for opera houses to be built, or old theaters renovated, and new scores produced and performed to display the rich pageantry of classical mythology and history in a new light.

With Carias distracted by calls for war with Saia, the feud between Chiave and Ravua seems set to continue. Count Callisto di Viavese has raised a significant army in Ravua, and he looks ready to attack the Republic of Chiave to press his ancestors’ claim. The distraught Chiavese burghers have offered the captaincy of the city to any condotto brave enough to resist the coming onslaught of the Ravuans.

A missive has come to the council of Giudicatza, the ancient viscounty clinging to the salt-sprayed cliffs in the shadow of the great smoldering volcano Il Cuppa. By way of the Tricoran matrimony, from a visiting Zoan priest in the far south - it states that the Grand Duchess Saffira is kept almost as a prisoner by Count Largo Tascari and Grand Prioress Tia S’drangato, who have been controlling the affairs of Ziazzo between them. It implores the assistance of the Dallafiama and any righteous northern lords to arrest this vulgar corruption of church and state alike.

Amongst the soaring domes of Holy Saia, the Council of Serenity remains divided between those who would seek to appease Carias with sought-after reforms and those who would oppose them. The aging Serene Mother Euphrosyne of Pellater supports Serene Father Aureus of Euphrete in his efforts to oppose Carias, but she fears the consequences of war and of Saia falling under Pelucian control. Meanwhile, Serene Mother Cecilia strongly opposes Aureus on the council, claiming the Church should stay out of war and come to a settlement with Carias.

Serene Father Heron, while conservative, is being pushed by his northern archpriests to make a bold statement against Cariasi pretensions. If nothing is done, it seems that a general Valian war may break out soon. All lament the Pelucian control of the church, but it seems there is nothing to be done, for would Carias not be far worse?

Southern Events:

The devastation from the aftermath of the War of the Cantabrican League continues to ripple outwards, as the Treaty of Tellavelli, in which Cantabrico was annexed by Ziazzo but the other cities of Southern Valia kept their liberty, has been recognized by all sides as merely a delay to a proper settling of the southern question, especially now as the Tascari consolidate their control over Ziazzo in alliance with the Cult of Zoa.

House Auriona, long a small but respected workshop of goldsmiths, has expanded its ambitions with a mission to Perizza on the Isle of Cratone. It is whispered that the funding to do so came from the Vecini government, to form an alliance with House Nisimion against further advances by the Tascarans who have now usurped control over Ziazzo.

For his part, Massimo Nisimion, the self-styled archon of eastern Kratone, has invested much into preparing for conflict with Ziazzo. Despite his city’s modest resources he has commissioned a pair of galleons for his daughter Lydia, the estimable young princess-captain who hopes to build a name for herself with adventures abroad - if the adventures do not come to her first.

There is talk of forming a new triple alliance between Vecini, Alaescia and Perizza, but this has been interrupted by a peasant rebellion that has exploded into existence in the interior. Across the rugged hills and dry valleys of the Pietstuppa, the cry of hungry mouths has evolved into a cry for blood. Wearing the corpse of a guild of stonemasons, they call themselves...the Cricca!

It began in the small farms, mines, and villages of the interior, as the Cricca gathered in ever-larger bands. Then, they seized the interior town of Pieterre, its previous Baron, Lazaris di Tempos, barely escaping with his life. The expelled baron and his entourage made their way to Vecini to appeal for aid, but the city’s ruling council informed him, “Signore, you merely think you have fled the Cricca. But the Cricca are already here.”

---

Diplomacy:

From: Captain-General Ildobrando dei Vorgezzi, Il Leone dei Ziazzo
To: The Cricca

Naturally the good people of Ziazzo sympathize with your grievance with the corrupt lords of Vecini and Alaescia. Here is my offer: Besiege and sack the city of Vecini, and I will gladly reward you for it - I offer you (30p) to speed your way. I will even make your leader, this Severio, one of my captains if you succeed.

To: The Esteemed Cleric Gaspare Dallafiama

I know it is unlikely you will be able to do anything to assist us, but I fear that we have not long before the whole of Zoa’s church is but a plaything for the Ziazzi. I tell you this much - beware Cecilia, that witch. She will not long suffer any rivals to her control of the faith.

To: Anyone

Someone, anyone, save us from the Ravuans!

To: Agostin Palatani della Covere

As requested, Signore della Covere, we have printed your certificate of citizenship on the finest embossed vellum. We hope that you enjoy the freedom of Pelucia, the finest city in Valia. Additionally, for the modest fee of (40p) your family may be elevated to the senatorial dignity.

Map (Political):

Spoiler :

OOC Notes:

For those of you finishing your apps (Angst) or working on signups (azale and Luckymoose, perhaps a few others), I'll give you until midweek to finish. The order deadline for Turn 1 - Spring 1544 will be one week from today, 9pm on Sunday February 23rd.

Over the next few days I will be finishing up the family stats as well as the last few lesser cities I still haven't done stats for yet, and naming the remaining archpriests and priestesses of the matrimonies. Let me know if you have any questions!

A clarification on stats: When a city or matrimony indicates +10 in power, for example, that is seasonal profit. If you control it, you control an income stream equivalent to that much each season.

Last edited:
*clears throat* Sure thomas, you can just take over as mod then. :p

A note on conflict resolution:

Some of you may have asked for more clarity on how certain events go, such as battles, duels, assassinations or seduction attempts. All of these are moderated in the game as clashes of some sort. So I have decided to open the black box a little bit to describe this. In each clash, I roll a 1d10, and then apply positive and negative modifiers, with the result of the roll after the modifier indicating how much of a success or a failure is for the character attempting the clash (be it a Captain leading a battle, a Courtesan seducing a noble, or an Assassin attempting to wipe out a rival Ruler.)

1 (or less) - Critical failure, with severe consequences for the character, usually death or imprisonment.
2 - 3 - Failure. May result in injury or imprisonment.
4 - 7 - Indecisive event. (Various side events possible.)
8 - 9 - Success!
10 (or more) - Critical success! May result in unexpected bonuses in power or other assets.

What I will not necessarily reveal is what affects the modifiers, as these are numerous. In a battle, for example, army size vs. opponent, terrain, quality of troops for the situation, quality of tactics, and reputation or veterancy of the captain can all apply modifiers to the roll. In an assassination attempt, the presence of security, a guarding captain, number of pawns in on the attempt, amount of power and time spent preparing the attempt, and power of factions supporting it can all apply modifiers to the assassination roll itself.

The mariner was from Tarice, by accent and the cut of his cloak. It was blue in the sun, and heavy. The Merchant Prince did not envy him on this day: it was as hot and dry as an oven, though the sea shone dark and deep.

“Good Patron, may I beg your company, that I may grace you with a sample of my wares?”

Girigorio Gipiani chuckled and nodded. “I am no Patron, Capitano, but I will not refuse your show.”

The Tarician bid a deckhand from his ship. The boy, young but salty already, swayed down the gangplank with a flat wooden crate, covered with a cloth of burlap.

The Tarician continued, “I come by way of Sancho, with fruit and the delicate dried meats of Euskara. Sweet tangerines, fine smoked ham, and the fish of all the seas of the world. And this, too: have you ever had one?”

He removed the cloth with a flourish, revealing a selection of round and bulbous fruit: red, orange, green, and black.

“They call them ‘pomidoro’, and they are new, from the West.”

The scion plucked one from the basket and considered it in the daylight.

“They taste of sweet and salt, and are most savory. They are best eaten with oil and salt, sliced. I invite you to sample, should you have these things — I trust that with the rich oils of Valia, their flavor shall be all the better.”

The Scion, bemused, motioned a follower to fetch the wares. He drew the smiling foreigner to a pierside table, drew his knife, and they ate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom